Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
culmor30
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Ok, I want to make a point.

All you you fools that think to buy a PSP and think it's a good deal, think again. When I look at the PSP, I don't see sexy. I see extra batteries to carry around, huge discs (maybe not HUGE but still big) to carry around, and if you drop it, you can think oh crap, should got a ds whilst it's falling with the screen about to shatter.

And no arguments about how the PSP can play movies, music, pics, and browse the web. My DS can do all that as well. The web browsing is the only thing that took a bit of hacking.

Don't beleive me? Visit www.movieadvance.com for the famous GBA media player. No, there's a different firmware for the DS, not the same as for GBA. That alone allows me to play movies, music, e-books, pictures, and NES roms, all off a compact flash card.

And want prices? The Media player for DS is only $25. Versus the PSP with that... memory card crap. I mean, you want a decently-sized card, you're gonna be feeling a lot of weight being taken off of your back pocket, where you hold your wallet.

Plus, system prices. The DS is only (currently) $120, whilst the PSP is $250, plus all of the extra costs of memory cards and crap. DS games let you save on to the game card, without an expensive add-on just to save your games.

My 64mb compact flash card I actually got new off eBay for just 50 cents. Yeah. Then there are the game prices... A brand new, release day game for the DS, $40. Eventually they go down to $35, then to $30.

Wireless connections. Pretty much the same. Except, Sony requires add-ons for your network while Nintendo made a deal with McDonalds to have wireless access points in all of their restraunts. They both support worldwide gaming. DSes have worldwide PictoChat as well. But both do support system to system connections, as well as AdHoc and Infastructure based IEEE 802.11b networks, and they can both access worldwide networks from your house.

Graphics... I'm not saying that people utilise the DSes graphics to their full potential. DS: capable of around 98bit graphics, with 3D acceleration. PSP: 90bit graphics with 3D acceleration.

Then we have the screen sizes. The 2 DS screens side-by-side are about 1/3 bigger than the one PSP screen. And the DS has one seperate processor for each screen.

Battery life, can't beat Nintendo. PSP battery life on full charge: 2-3 hours. DS battery on full charge: 8-10 hours.

Plus, Sony's main target is for business is media players and tvs. They are not repeat NOT centered around video gaming like nintendo. And, Nintendo has been around much longer and has much more expirence with games.

To conclude this lengthy piece of information, the DS wins. I'm not saying the PSP sucks, just that based on technical facts, the DS is more capable and overall, better.
culmor30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
natetheffrer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to natetheffrer
Default RE: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Yeah, DS definatly wins in the graphics category

[sarcasm/]

Now you are gonna talk about innovation.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
kickassbuddy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to kickassbuddy

Guess what bitch?

YOU FAIL.

There are many reasons that PSP is better than DS. The first reason is that the PSP have updates, that make the PSP better. Example bitch? 2.00 firmware = Internet Broswer, 2.50 firmware = LocationFree TV. Another good reason is that 1.50 and 1.00 PSPs can do one cool thing: homebrew. Go here: www.psp-hacks.com. So in conclusion, DS can suck donkey balls and PSP will be having sex with the hottest super models.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
culmor30
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

When I was talking about the graphics, I was NOT talking about release titles. I just so happen to have ridge racer for ds, and I know that the graphics are not good. The bigger game carts are coming out on Nov 20th. The graphics will be pretty much the same as a PSP's by then. Don't use launch titles as examples. I have... mario. Another launch title, much better graphics than RR for PSP. I've played a PSP, not a good experience for me. If you want to buy a PSP, go ahead. But keep in mind graphicswise: DS: capable of 98bit. PSP: Capable of 90bit.

And, also note that otherwise, the DS can do anything the PSP can. Read my post above. ALL THE WAY.

Oh and... please don't tone-down picture quality before submitting. I have the game, even tho the graphics suck, they ARE better than in that screenshot.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
natetheffrer
FFR Player

I dident do anything too them, they are straight offa google images.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
gowereinside
FFR Player

Default Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culmor30
the DS is more capable and overall, better.
I agree on that but the PSP is good and all but the only reason i think the DS is better is that i can't afford a psp and got my DS for Christmas.*sigh
Old 10-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
soccr743
FFR Player
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to soccr743 Send a message via MSN to soccr743 Send a message via Yahoo to soccr743

Both are very nice handheld systems. While the DS is obviously a bit more sturdy then that PSP, which is definitely a plus in the handheld catagory, the PSP has a decent bit more processing power.

Btw, kickassbuddy, the DS can have updates just like the PSP. FlashMe is an example of this but from a group of homebrew coders, a firmware update for the DS that allows the firmware to be reloaded if something gets corrupted (Since the part where this is can only be wrote to while the SL1 is bridged). Also, DS is pretty homebrew friendly itself. Next, if you looked around, one person is working on a TCP/IP stack for the DS which will be released pretty soon. This allows for creation and/or porting of some internet browsers to the DS.

Of course PSP wins in graphics, which is obvious to anyone. I think you can push more vertices per frame than the DS. I am not sure that I agree with culmor that the DS can do anything a PSP can, however, they cater to different groups of gamers in my mind.

In the end, atleast in my point of view which others will not hold, I would get a DS if I were to buy either. The system just will hold up better over time, and in my mind (Again many others wont think this), but I find many of the games for it more exiting than PSP games.

-----Soccr743-----
Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancingmaniac3
Default Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culmor30
Then we have the screen sizes. The 2 DS screens side-by-side are about 1/3 bigger than the one PSP screen. And the DS has one seperate processor for each screen.
The only thing about that is that the DS requires 2 screens to be bigger than the PSP. That says enough already. And, full gameplay isn't even done on one screen, you have to alternate your eyes from screen to screen on pretty much all the DS games, meaning the actual gameplay screen for the DS is 1/3, or more, smaller than the PSP screen. With the PSP, you can look at one screen as well, yet its way bigger than one of the DS screens that you look at alternately. You don't look at both screens simultaneously, do you?

Right.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
culmor30
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Yes,

Ya, homebrew... I have a homebrew copy of lumines on my DS. The game they rated the BEST GAME FOR PSP. Lumines. Ya that one.

If you play a DS for long enough though, you actually begin to view the 2 screens as one. That's not a problem for me. But sometimes I don't even look at one of the screens and don't need it. Plus the fact that it has a touch screen adds to the better gameplay.

My friends PSP... I played it... I didn't use the analog nub because it was too hard to reach, kinda weird position for your fingers. I used the D-Pad.
I also read somewhere that the PSP avarages about 13 dead pixels per system. That was really annoying.

And moving around was hard too.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros
Default RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Wow. An incredibly flammable thread, and the only person that strikes a match is "kickassbuddy". I'm impressed.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
natetheffrer
FFR Player

Quote:
Graphics... I'm not saying that people utilise the DSes graphics to their full potential. DS: capable of around 98bit graphics, with 3D acceleration. PSP: 90bit graphics with 3D acceleration.
Or you could put it this way...

The DS system features two processors, a 66MHz ARM9 and a 33MHz ARM7,

The PSP features one prossesor that runs at 333MHz but is capped at 222MHz right now. I dont know why but that most obvious reason would be for battery life. This would make the psp more than twice as powerful as the DS, even with the prosseser capped.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

I don't buy either of them, because if I was put into a position where I had to buy one, I would burst into tears. How can a man choose between Phoenix Wright and Metal Gear Acid!?
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
natetheffrer
FFR Player

Go get alot of money and buy em' both.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic
Default Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganitros
I don't buy either of them, because if I was put into a position where I had to buy one, I would burst into tears. How can a man choose between Phoenix Wright and Metal Gear Acid!?
By realizing that cards are not essential for climbing ladders.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

They both suck.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

I come here expecting to find a post about ending the handheld wars, and instead i get "they have to end cause the DS is better". I'm dissapointed.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
culmor30
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default ok...

The PSP might be more powerful, but look at how it affects the battery life. You can't go on a 3 hour car trip with the thing! Since the graphics are kinda a cross between PS1 and PS2, you might as well buy a normal consle if your handheld has to be plugged in all the time! I DO have a point!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #18
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
They both suck.

QFE. The guy who started this thread is just another DS fanboy trying to argue about a handheld device that came out almost a year ago. Put it to rest n00b.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

Homebrew and emulation is better on PSP, further developed. The only reason I would buy either of them.

Oh and please, let this thread die. What use is this? Different opinions furiate and bring more opinions and the cycle never ends. Besides, this is the same thread from forever ago. The same everything.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #20
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: DS vs PSP... Got to End.

PSP:
Pros: Pretty graphics. Some good games( I would only really buy it for lumines), Can do anything. You could probably find a way to control your toaster if there was someone that actually wanted to that.
Cons: Expensive. You do not want to drop this thing!Battery life.

DS
Pros Super Inovative. Cheap. Some good games(Mr. Driller, for me). You get to touh the screen, that's pretty cool. Picto-chat, i guess. If you drop it, it's probably not gonna break the first time. Battery life better than the PSP's
Cons: Graphics not as good, Can only play games(but that's what it's really supposed to do, not make toast).

Overall: PSP if you want the preety stuff and have the money to dish out on it. DS if you just need a way to play games at skool, or car trip, or just needs a handheld.
I would get: DS, 'cuz I'm poor