Old 04-22-2020, 12:39 AM   #1101
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 733: Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple

Pitchfork gave this their first 10 in over a decade apparently. I await the opinion of melon because I care as much, that is to say, not at all. I thought I reviewed an album by Apple (can I just say the middle name here?) or an EP or something but I can't find it. I KNOW I've listened to some of her songs, but I don't remember what they sound like.

If they sound like this album, they basically sound like Ben Folds. Is this a good album? After listening to it about 5 or 6 times, I'd say so. She only drops one album a decade so I assume expectations are high, but I don't know if people are just filling in their own expectations or this actually meets them because this is not what I'd call a perfect album. It's good, it kept my attention for nearly an hour despite my about zero proximity to piano pop or cabaret-type stuff at all times, and there's just enough variety of lyrical content and choice of backing to fill out the tracks to satisfy me (though at times I have the same problem with this as a lot of other indie music, in that it feels a bit too in love with itself, that occurs far less here than it does when I listen to a lot of other indie bands so I'm not docking it). There are some experimental moments, and those are the best ones on the album. Then there are experimental moments that I just found annoying.

Why am I doing this at 1:33AM? There's like a million places this is gonna be reviewed better, I'm tired, depressed and wish I was drunk (not til Thursday!). You should listen to this not because of what I say, but because of what others say. And I don't mean that as "other people's opinions are worth more than mine", I'm referring to the stupid amount of hype this thing got.

Online hipsters and art school white girls saying they bawled their eyes out to this baffle me. It's a solid album, and only a few bits got on my nerves, but that's as far as I'm going. Okay boomer Pitchfork. Time to go eat some ice cream.

Best Track: For Her
Rating: 7.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #1102
rayword45

Day 734: Modus Vivendi by 070 Shake

I don't remember if I've listened to anything she's dropped before this solo, but this is her debut album apparently so probably not. I do vividly remember her part in Ghost Town on the overly-hated ye, and she made that song a lot better. However, since that's all I can remember right now (even though I KNOW she's featured on some other stuff I've listened to) I'm coming into this with no expectations.

And with no expectations, this is solid. Compared to yesterday's album, nothing reaches the same heights but there's also less duds while probably having a similar amount of standouts, which makes sense since this album is quite a bit shorter. The beats are mostly phenomenally chosen, the singing is almost all great and I'm digging the futuristic vibe. No real complaints here!

Best Track: Terminal B

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:49 AM   #1103
rayword45

Day 735: WOMB by Purity Ring

I know for a fact that I haven't reviewed these guys. I say that because I thought I did, but then I remembered the only place I know these guys from is from the Search Party theme song. Fuck you HBO Max for making me wait 3 years for the third season.

On the plus side, in between thinking those things I thought that I knew them from the neo-Nazi [adult swim] show but they weren't on there after all! Why, Ovlov, why...

Anyways, upon listening to this, I thought it was fine, but then I randomly realized I wasn't listening to the first track anymore but instead the end of the third! This shit is so incredibly same-y that the previous sentence is not even a joke, I swear they used slight variations of the exact same melody three times in a row. After that, it isn't quite as obvious, but this entire album is just kind of eh to me. It would be more pleasant if the singer's voice didn't get on my nerves, but it's not SO bad that I can't stand it, it's just a little too much airy falsetto.

For a 35 minute album, I'm disappointed. Oh well, onto the next one!

Best Track: Femia
Rating: 4.5/10

Old 04-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #1104
rayword45

Day 736: Pocket Selector by Dev/Null

His first full-length since Lazer Thrash sounds nothing like it! Instead this is a bunch of throwback jungle a la early Machine Girl and from that description you probably know exactly what this sounds like and exactly how much you'll enjoy it. I wish I had a better reference than that.

Best Track: Hyper
Rating: 6/10

Old 05-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #1105
mi40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 715: Honeymoon by Beach Bunny

Outside of just comparing to other singer/songwriter indie women, this album started off as a lot of bouncy fun with a sensed emotional core, but less than halfway through I was just bored and slightly annoyed. I would probably be nicer right now if it was lo-fi, or if the first 3 tracks didn't just make everything more disappointing after.

Best Track: Promises or April
Rating: 5/10
agree here except beach bunny's honeymoon has somehow crept into my worksafe playlist when i'm the one with the aux cord at work. i will admit that if you listen to their consecutively in an album format you will get annoyed with it way faster than if it was sprinkled in among other music

Quote:
Day 718: WLFGRL by Machine Girl (Album Choice: mi40)

There really just needs to be way more groovers in the mix here. More aggression in the aggressive tracks too, but DEFINITELY this needs more groovers.

Best Track: Out By The 16, Dead On The Scene
agree here also. a lot of people have the same sentiment regarding needing more groovers but it looks like machine girl tends to go more abrasive approaches to their albums so this is what happens. i like to think machine girl needs a separate mix of their groovers, like a best of. galatea & krystle (3rd impact mix) to name a few..

Quote:
Day 733: Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple

Pitchfork gave this their first 10 in over a decade apparently. girls saying they bawled their eyes out to this baffle me. It's a solid album, and only a few bits got on my nerves, but that's as far as I'm going. Okay boomer Pitchfork. Time to go eat some ice cream.

Best Track: For Her
yes
Old 05-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #1106
MyNameIsNothing
ʕ◡ᴥ◡✿ʔ
FFR Veteran

favs of 2020 that i dont think you've reviewed yet
a girl called eddy - been around
headie one & fred again - gang
mixed matches - II
nnamdi - brat
lyra pramuk - fountain
RAY - pink
rina sawayama - sawayama (probably aotysf)
tennis - swimmer
MyNameIsNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #1107
rayword45

Day 737: Anxiety & Depression by The Boyboy West Coast

U Was At The Club (Bottoms Up) was my third most played song on Spotify in 2019. However, considering I only started using Spotify with any regularity in September, I'm pretty sure this is actually #1 overall. And it deserves it.

This album, on the other hand, sucks ass. There's like two good songs on this collection of sappy shitty pop songs. Serious downgrade man, you're not gonna have another meme at this rate Waluigi.

Best Track: No Love
Rating: 4/10

Old 05-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #1108
rayword45

Day 738: Fountain by Lyra Pramuk

I'll start by saying this is definitely one of the most unique albums I've ever heard and there's nothing it can be compared to. The descriptors I see are frequently "ambient" and "a capella" but I've heard stuff in those categories plenty and none sound quite like this. For that reason alone, I would implore you to check this out, I doubt I'll hear a more creative album this year.

That being said, I only enjoyed about a third of it. I can appreciate the album going for something totally original and there's clearly a lot of thought and care put into its crafting, but most of this straight up does not appeal to me and I found myself annoyed more often than wowed or pleased. That being said (used it twice!), this is based off of two listens and I feel obligated to give it more tries solely because of how fuckin weird it is. Hmmm....

Ask me again in the fall.

Best Track: New Moon

Last edited by rayword45; 05-13-2020 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #1109
rayword45

Day 739: Yeo-Neun by Okkyung Lee

I saw her open for Swans almost 4 years ago now, and barely remember what her act is like. Before you say anything, shut up I scalped. Anyways, my description of this show back then was

Quote:
Originally Posted by me at 18
"Some weird solo shit right here."
I remember the vibe being vaguely neo-classical but a whole lot weirder than that, and in some ways even more aggressive than Michael Gira's Flying Circus, mostly ones that I like more than just turning up the volume past reasonable.

This album is for the most part nowhere near as weird as I, uh, think that performance was. A few tracks here are atonal, but only the run from the end half of In Stardust (For Kang Kyung-ok) to The Longest Morning contains anything as chaotic as my memories tell me that performance was. For the most part, this is just really lovely stuff, and the vibe reminds me of cutting class in high school to get baked, drink 10 espresso shots over ice and walk through malls while listening to vaporwave until I ended up showing up to school at 10:59AM. Color me pleasantly surprised after being caught way off.

Best Track: Facing Your Shadows
Rating: 8/10

Old 05-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #1110
rayword45

Day 740: Pray For Paris by Westside Gunn

Good beat production, good features, obnoxious rapping from the main star himself.

Best Track: George Bondo

Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #1111
rayword45

Day 741: Starz by Yung Lean

Ov Da Lid?

Okay that was terrible. I've heard some music from this guy before and while it was not the meme-tier bullshit I was expecting, it didn't inspire me to seek more of his music out. People seem to REALLY love this guy though.

Cloud rap is somewhat of an enigma to me. Some of these tracks are legit gorgeous, but a lot of it just bores me. And for something of its length, I can't act like that's a good thing. Not bad, but doesn't need to be as long as it is, at all. It also starts off way stronger than it ends.

For some reason the autoplay after this is Yves Tumor. Weird choice Spotify. I need to take a shit.

Best Track: Butterfly Paralyzed

Old 05-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #1112
mi40

Quote:
Day 741: Starz by Yung Lean

Ov Da Lid?

Okay that was terrible. I've heard some music from this guy before and while it was not the meme-tier bullshit I was expecting, it didn't inspire me to seek more of his music out. People seem to REALLY love this guy though.

Cloud rap is somewhat of an enigma to me. Some of these tracks are legit gorgeous, but a lot of it just bores me. And for something of its length, I can't act like that's a good thing. Not bad, but doesn't need to be as long as it is, at all. It also starts off way stronger than it ends.

For some reason the autoplay after this is Yves Tumor. Weird choice Spotify. I need to take a shit.

Best Track: Butterfly Paralyzed
i REALLY love this guy indeed. but it's not for everyone!
Old 05-17-2020, 02:14 AM   #1113
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Aaron Spectre - The Quickening
The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #1114
rayword45

Day 742: SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama

Internalized racism made me assume off the bat this was gonna be some J-Pop or other weeb shit. It isn't, and she's based in the UK without an Asian accent. It sounds like Myspace-era scene girl music most of the time. A mix of weirdo dance-pop and lame alt metal that straight up just does not appeal to me.

This album is well-made, but I don't think I enjoyed any song in full. I'm really not the target audience here I feel, so I do feel bad giving this a low rating, but I've gotta be honest. The entire time I was just annoyed and thinking "why am I listening to this?". Maybe I'll like one of her future albums, if she does a complete stylistic 180 that is (or to be quite honest, just ditched the cringy metal side of things), because if it's more like this I have no interest.

Also, how many fucking songs have used the main melody that is in Chosen Family?

Best Track: Comme Des Garçons (Like the Boys)
Rating: 3.5/10

Old 05-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #1115
rayword45

Day 743: How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX

Ahh.... Fuck. Great. Now I'm a hipster whiteboy. Just kill me.

Best Track: Visions
Rating: 8/10

Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 AM   #1116
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

You might have seen this already but

https://panchiko.bandcamp.com/album/d-e-a-t-h-m-e-t-a-l

Not gonna pretend it's 10/10 stuff but despite hating some of the lyrics I found the album worth my time

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #1117
rayword45

Day 744: Set My Heart On Fire Immediately by Perfume Genius

Listened twice and I can't think of a single useful sentence to say, that about summarizes my opinion on this one.

Best Track: On The Floor (not as good as the IceJJFish song tho)

Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #1118
rayword45

Day 745: Dedicated Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen

The weird thing is I enjoy this more than the original album. That being said, it starts out AMAZINGLY with the first 4 tracks, then the rest peters off with a couple of good cuts in between a sea of boring and bland. Still, I can recommend this without qualms. Fun dance-y stuff that feels like an 80s throwback but with backing tracks that would be absolute BANGERS in the club as instrumentals

Best Track: Stay Away
Rating: 7/10

Old 05-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #1119
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

hmm I will listen to a carly rae jepsen release if rayword gives it a 7/10 tbh
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #1120
_DJ Vinyl_
Path of Re Rusting
FFR Veteran