Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
GKC_Remy
FFR Player

Default Re: EDM Megapack Project (Community)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
On the subtitle put something like [PAD] or something like that
I second this idea ^
Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Separate packs could work too.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #23
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

CJsaysGUAH, after reading this thread, let me attempt to explain the reception that you got.

The FFR community is predominantly a community that revolves around keyboard playing, although there certainly is a smaller group of people that also plays pad. You may get a greater reception if you posted this pack in a more pad-dominant community. EDM songs are, while often euphoria to the ears of many, not overly receptive to keyboard files mainly due to the lack of rhythmical variety or overall predictability of the genre's musical structure. It's also worth noting that there's generally a smaller audience when a pack is intended for one particular genre. Combine all of the above with the word "megapack" and basically many players here would interpret it as a regurgitation of the same type of music, mostly same type of simfiles, and a whole lot of it.

The variety of pad stepping is not as adversely affected by a song's genre as it is for keyboard stepping, where a song is stepped more or less to its full musical potential. So if you are finding yourself not getting a whole lot of keyboard files, you might want to include those as extras and focus mainly on your pad files for the pack.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #24
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
CJsaysGUAH, after reading this thread, let me attempt to explain the reception that you got.

The FFR community is predominantly a community that revolves around keyboard playing, although there certainly is a smaller group of people that also plays pad. You may get a greater reception if you posted this pack in a more pad-dominant community. EDM songs are, while often euphoria to the ears of many, not overly receptive to keyboard files mainly due to the lack of rhythmical variety or overall predictability of the genre's musical structure. It's also worth noting that there's generally a smaller audience when a pack is intended for one particular genre. Combine all of the above with the word "megapack" and basically many players here would interpret it as a regurgitation of the same type of music, mostly same type of simfiles, and a whole lot of it.

The variety of pad stepping is not as adversely affected by a song's genre as it is for keyboard stepping, where a song is stepped more or less to its full musical potential. So if you are finding yourself not getting a whole lot of keyboard files, you might want to include those as extras and focus mainly on your pad files for the pack.
I was assuming that it was falling under the lines of any genre in the EDM genre tree bmah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...c_music_genres

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music
Quote:
In this context, EDM does not refer to a specific genre, but serves as an umbrella term for several commercially popular genres, including techno, house, trance, drum and bass, dubstep, Jersey club, and their respective subgenres.
@CJ: You can correct me if I am wrong if you are looking at a specific genre of "EDM" or just a general collection of music within the umrella term "EDM"

Old 11-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #25
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

See, when I think of EDM, I don't usually think of something like trance. There may be some elements of that in some songs, but trance songs definitely were a 1990s-mid 2000s thing where most of it were in clubs and not on your usual mainstream radio. EDM is somewhat of a mishmash of genres still with standard structures - a lot of the "pop" and "dance music" in today's mainstream is EDM.

example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5getrSq6G8

The label Diverse System has a bunch of albums going under various genres, and they DO separate EDM from dubstep, house, and so on. So I'm led to believe there is a difference as opposed to merely an umbrella term.

If you were to actually include house, dnb, techno, etc. as separate genres for this pack, as opposed to the generic "EDM music in mainstream", then this pack may be more diverse than originally thought. So clarification would help!

Last edited by bmah; 11-25-2016 at 12:10 AM..
Old 11-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #26
GKC_Remy
FFR Player

Quote:

CJ and I are considering adding keyboard files as well, really haven't talked too much about it though.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #27
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
See, when I think of EDM, I don't usually think of something like trance. There may be some elements of that in some songs, but trance songs definitely were a 1990s-mid 2000s thing where most of it were in clubs and not on your usual mainstream radio. EDM is somewhat of a mishmash of genres still with standard structures - a lot of the "pop" and "dance music" in today's mainstream is EDM.

example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5getrSq6G8

The label Diverse System has a bunch of albums going under various genres, and they DO separate EDM from dubstep, house, and so on. So I'm led to believe there is a difference as opposed to merely an umbrella term.

If you were to actually include house, dnb, techno, etc. as separate genres for this pack, as opposed to the generic "EDM music in mainstream", then this pack may be more diverse than originally thought. So clarification would help!
I assumed as much because the ones I sent aren't necessarily mainstream EDM music as you put it bmah, but a few clarifications would be nice.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #28
dadcop2
FFR Player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1pvo9QqpY8
Old 11-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #29
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

Everything that has been discussed is way beyond where I have been brainstorming and planning for this pack.

Here is all I can answer:

1. Any other community I have found is dead. This forum appears to be the most active.
2. I did not realize this was strictly keyboard only around these parts.
3. I just wanted good music created via electronic devices stepped to be played and pack them all together for others that enjoy that type of music
Old 11-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #30
dadcop2
FFR Player

nah u can make a pad pack u should just specify that its a pad pack. dossar is working on one too
Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #31
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadcop2 View Post
nah u can make a pad pack u should just specify that its a pad pack. dossar is working on one too
What will probably happen is two factions with pad/index and keyboard. And already working on a rename to make it a little more clear what to expect from the pack.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #32
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if youre accepting just electronic in general than oh man do I have some music for you
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #33
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
if youre accepting just electronic in general than oh man do I have some music for you
Gantz Graf actually happening? o:

Old 11-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #34
dadcop2
FFR Player

Quote:
treat him with some of vsnares' new harsh noise stuff lmao
Old 11-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #35
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

Quote:
I will be eagrly awaiting for your submission
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 AM   #36
Ristyy
FFR Player

hey guys just dropping in to say good luck on the pack!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #37
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristyy View Post
hey guys just dropping in to say good luck on the pack!
Thanks! Be sure to check it out when we have our first release
Old 11-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

https://youtu.be/whX4zong19E?t=201
Old 11-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #39
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

choof with the festival bangers
Old 12-5-2016, 10:24 PM   #40
CJsaysGUAH
FFR Player

Updated original post. First release of the Pad Collection should be coming soon.

We are looking for additional help on things. Specifics can be found in the original post.