Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #21
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
I don't really have time to type this all out, but i'm going to anyways.

Marijuana kills dopamine. If you don't know what dopamine is, it's the natural stimulant that causes adrenaline. It makes you feel happy/energized/motivated and what not. It's "unrenewable", or once it dies you can never regain it back. When you're on an adrenaline rush dopamine goes into these little...uh...slots in your brain. The chemical in Marijuana, THC, will replicate the dopamine and fill up these slots and the dopamine has nowhere to go, so it dies and will never be replaced. Eventually your happy type of feeling you get after you win a soccer game or play some kind of concert or something you acomplish will decrease. Not only does this happen, but smoking Marijuana harms your lungs and will do all of that whole not being able to drive/not thinking straight deal. I hope Marijuana never becomes legal and the penalties for catching people with the drug is raised much higher.
Dopamine is a NEUROTRANSMITTER, not a stimulant. Dopamine is a CHEMICAL so it can't be killed. Dopamine is renewable by the process Tyrosine -> L-Dopa -> Dopamine. THC binds to THC receptors ("little...uh...slots") which release GABA which causes a dopamine release (the GABA interneural release isn't necessarily proven). Either way THC, like cocaine and opiates is a DOPAMINE AGONIST not a dopamine inhibitor. Dopamine does NOT have anything to do with adrenaline, as that is a function of the endocrine system. Furthermore, though you may, with heavy, continuous use, see a lessening in positive reinforcement it has never been scientifically or otherwise proven, which would indicate that the effect is negligible.

Marijuana does harm the lungs, however, similar to cigarettes.

All I have to say is that if you've never tried it, you really have no place to try to weigh the positives to the negatives. By your logic, we should ban fatty foods, because they're bad for you, though many people still eat it because it tastes good. We should also ban cigarettes and alcohol for similar reasons, as well as many perscription and non-perscription drugs. We should also ban cars, because the exhaust is harmful.

YOU shouldn't be able to make a judgement for all other people, especially if you haven't done it yourself, which I doubt you have. If you somehow have tried all that you condemn, then you still wouldn't have a good arguement.
VxDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #22
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I have a feeling that if I tried all that I condemn I would be dead by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #23
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Quote:
That means for each oz of weed sold this much money goes to the government. That would improve our economy greatly.
Those are called taxes. I mentioned earlier that they provide no net gain to the economy. It can be that they provide net loss, though (Freedom Fries!).

This is really just a matter of letting people have the choice of smoking or not. I say they deserve that choice entirely and have a right to it.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #24
gardyloo
FFR Player

I agree with it being legalized, but I don't agree with the use of it by the youth of America. Marijuana is a lot better on the environment than cotton, and more durable. I'm looking forward to a greener earth more than a cheap high.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #25
blahblah18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to blahblah18

Wow VxDx just totally shat all over you.. I never smiled so much from a post before.

hmm, before reading that, I had something else to say... oh yeah.. the sole reason cigarettes are legal are thanks to the BILLIONS in lobbying... if you don't believe me, just do a little reading on the definition of drugs by the FDA, they're separated into 5 major calsses, and basically the definition of each class is strict and rigid based on the drug's properties, and certain calsses are illegal, while others are legal

both alchol and cigarettes would normally fall under a class 1 drug, but there is a bylaw that actually states "Exclude tobacco and alchol from falling under class 1 drug categories" and thereofre, they're legal

blahblah18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #26
magister_negi_magi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to magister_negi_magi

I hope marijuana never, ever becomes legalized. My father's life has been destroyed because of marijuana(along with a few other drugs), and I don't want that to happen to anybody else. I may not know as much as say, VxDx, but I do know that smoking marijuana cannot be good. I mean, they tell you, "Drugs are bad, remember that" throughout elementary to high school. How can anything positive come from a drug you're told not to do, aside from the ephemeral high? I don't have to actually smoke marijuana to be able to know what's good and bad about it, I've witnessed it firsthand. People are foolish to harm their body and mind for a few moments of pleasure, no matter what the drug. You don't know what it's like to see someone you love passed out on the front porch after drugging up the previous night...it...it just hurts. He doesn't want help, he doesn't try to quit...hell, he once told my family that he doesn't want to quit. Things like that...I really don't want anyone else to go through, because it's just not pleasant. There are only a few things I disapprove of, and one of those things is drugs. Think about it: Alcohol and cigarettes are the only legal non-medicinal drugs, right? And how many people are alcoholics or cigarette addicts? Marijuana isn't even legal and yet so many people do it on a daily basis...If it were to be legalized, a pothead would be no stranger than an alcoholic. As a said pothead, my father is prone to mood swings and acts of violence which did not occur before he started drugs. I don't think that anyone wants to go to their pharmacy, only to find your average druggy throwing a fit because the price of his marijuana was too steep. It's just not a good idea to legalize this drug, nor any drug, for that matter. My post had no statistics, no document listings, but I put my heart and soul into this. Someone is definitely going to disregard this, but maybe some of you will change your mind about legalizing marijuana, and about drugs entirely.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #27
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

It isn't so much that marijuana is good or bad. It is proven that the long term effects are bad, and most people recognize this. The argument here is that of free choice; do we allow the American public to take personal responsibility in whether or not they should take up getting high? A major reason why many people, including myself, feel that it should be legalized is because as Americans we are given the right to free choice, and that includes bodily abuse as well. It also ticks me off that somehow smoking is legal, even though its consequences are worse than marijuana, and it supplies no effect to the mind or body. To me, that is the epitome of stupid.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #28
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Quote:
I have a feeling that if I tried all that I condemn I would be dead by now.
especially if you condemn suicide.

And magister, I'm sorry about your dad. But it's pretty much what sleepless said...we, as american's, should have the freedom to do retarded things if we want. Oh, and cigarettes do have quite an effect on the mind and body. When you first start smoking you'll usually get a decent buzz. Or if you stop smoking for a while, and start again, you'll usually get a buzz. It also speeds up the heart beat. It does a lot more, but I don't have time to research it, so rather than risking sounding like a retard, I'll just stop now.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:04 AM   #29
Reishiro
FFR Player

Quote:
I am ignorant.
Reishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #30
Snowcraftanyo
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Snowcraftanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reishiro
Quote:
I am ignorant.
QFE

Drugs and such, I dont have a problem with. Just as long as the people who do them dont try to get you into it like anime nerds try to get you to like anime.
Snowcraftanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #31
falconsfan14
Banned

Send a message via AIM to falconsfan14

Magister, i too know how you feel, my dad is a coke addict and he comes home stumbling around yelling sometimes even hitting, its a scary site indeed. But, they chose to live their lives that way, and they pay the consiquinces, like my father for instance. He cant sleep, breath into his nose, smell anything, hardly see, and has random mood swings because of coke, and he also smokes. In my fathers eyes, it doesnt even matter anymore, he says his life is so messed up now that he doesnt even care. Without realising that he is hurting everybody around him mentally and physically. Im up for the legalization of drugs, but people MUST be aware of the consiquinces. Not by stupid lectures at school, but by parents talking to their kids, and so on, freewill, thats what it is.
falconsfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #32
Skull-King
FFR Player

In this country, we are all subject to our own actions via choice. We can do anything we choose to if not caught. All things are an influence which spark the next action. Seeing some person eat a sandwhich by a water founatin my inspire someone to actually try to become the proponent to a massive movement of "justice".
My point is; it is someones choice to use drugs. However it's aftereffects are extremly hazardous. Each harmful drug impares the users judgment and (can) inevidably kills them, someone else or (can) hurts a loved one to the extent of suicide or homicide. For these reasons, I belive that no drug, not even the enigmatic mary jane should be leagalized.
EVER.
The only excuse is herbal therapy. This is, of course, my opinion. If anyone criticises me about it, thats on you.
Fight the subject, not the speaker.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #33
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardyloo
I agree with it being legalized, but I don't agree with the use of it by the youth of America. Marijuana is a lot better on the environment than cotton, and more durable. I'm looking forward to a greener earth more than a cheap high.
Not "Marijuana", Hemp. Both are products of the same plant, marijuana is the common name for the Buds and leaves, hemp is the common name for all other parts of the Cannabis plant. During WWII, hemp was legalized.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 AM   #34
xp_guardian
FFR Player

the difference between smoking cigarettes and smoking weed:

smoking cigarettes: long term affects. smoking them may not affect you now but the do affect you in the long run. also smoking cigs doesnt harm people people around you (except for second hand smoke.)

marijuana: does not have as severe long term affect but rather has severe "now" affects. when you smoke weed, you get high. which, in turn, decreases your sense of judgement and could result in the death of an innocent. And to me, knowing that you killed someone because you were stupid and got high just to be cool is by far the worst long term damage that could be done to yourself.

so no, i dont think it should be legal
Old 05-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #35
falconsfan14
Banned

Send a message via AIM to falconsfan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_guardian
the difference between smoking cigarettes and smoking weed:

smoking cigarettes: long term affects. smoking them may not affect you now but the do affect you in the long run. also smoking cigs doesnt harm people people around you (except for second hand smoke.)

marijuana: does have as severe long term affect but rather has severe "now" affects. when you smoke weed, you get high. which, in turn, decreases your sense of judgement and could result in the death of an innocent. And to me, knowing that you killed someone because you were stupid and got high just to be cool is by far the worst long term damage that could be done to yourself.

so no, i dont think it should be legal
Fixed.

Marijuana does have long term affects. It does damage your lungs, just not as much as ciggarettes do. Try to convince us why weed doesnt have long term affects, when infact you said yourself that it could have long term affects.
falconsfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #36
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

Boo after affects

screw weed i dont really care if its legal or not just as long as im not the one smoking it! duh

well anyways heres a little jingle for ya:

I love weed i love weed weed is good so DRINK a lot of it! Oh look the car, it wants to give.... me..... a...... hug!

Come here little ill be your friend !!!

Moral: weed is stupid although it is fun watching people after they smoked it..

What happened to little jimmy?

he and the car became best friends of the grave, together say sat in the junkyard having a nasty orgy with a bunch of old tape recorders

ha ha ha

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2005, 09:58 AM   #37
Cyberspace
FFR Player

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

Cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2005, 02:29 AM   #38
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull-King
In this country, we are all subject to our own actions via choice. We can do anything we choose to if not caught.
You can do that in every country, now, can't you?
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2005, 12:36 PM   #39
british_bmx2005
Banned

Send a message via AIM to british_bmx2005 Send a message via MSN to british_bmx2005 Send a message via Yahoo to british_bmx2005

HappyHippy123 wrote:

Quote:
....if you're not harming anyone else around you, then it should be legal.
You are still harming people around you. If either they are smoking or not, you are still blowing smoke into the atmosphere where people breathe.

Quote:
I think that if it is going to be illegal, the penalties should not be more severe than the effects of the drugs are on your body over a long period of time.
The penalties should not change because it doesn't matter whether you've had them with you for 5 seconds or 5 hours or 5 days, you are still being charged with position of drugs.
british_bmx2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:54 AM   #40
altrock182182
FFR Player

I think Marijuana is controlled by the government solely because it gets you high- the government rightly or wrongly restrains us from getting things that make people temporarily feel really good. In the long run it probably won't help you at all, but if you feel kinda down, marijuna could replace all these highly addictive and high-cost medications for bipolar, depression, and other emotional disorders. I take Paxil, and when I'm on it I feel normal ,but when I get off it I feel worse than when I wasn't taking it at all, whereas when I smoke weed I feel great for longer than my pills last, and I don't get withdrawl symptoms when I don't smoke. As an added bonus I don't have to take Ibuprofin all the time either, I have a bad back that hurts like hell al the time-when im high I don't feel it at all. I can see, however, how it could be abused and it probably shouldn't be distributed to kids, so I say just make it so you have to have a dealer's license like Cigarettes and Alcohol, just make it just like any other over-the-counter drug. ---also, with this cigarette vs marijuana thing, which is moer damaging-cigarettes are, no doub tabout it, marijuana hurts you long-term too, but if cigs are legal why not weed if it doesn't do as much damage?
altrock182182 is offline   Reply With Quote