Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
zeroskaterkd
FFR Player

Default Stepmania for the TI-83?

I was considering programming some form of Stepmania to my TI-83 using Assembly (for the smooth[er] Framerate), am I looking for assloads of trouble ahead? Should I even try? Also, I can't seem to find the source anywhere... that'd be nice too.

Thanks.

Mulletron. (Formerly ZeroSkaterKD here...)
zeroskaterkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom
Default RE: Stepmania for the TI-83?

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...ar.gz?download

And yes, you're in for an assload of trouble. It won't be worth the effort.

A friend of mine made Tetris in basic on his Casio.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #3
TheRico
FFR Player

Does the TI-83 even have sound? You might as well just code it from scratch, which wouldn't be too difficult (the basic pattern/button thing isn't tricky) The source won't really help you, except maybe the DWI/SM parser, but those aren't hard to write yourself either.
TheRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
soccr743
FFR Player
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to soccr743 Send a message via MSN to soccr743 Send a message via Yahoo to soccr743

Do you know assembly for this processor well enough to make the game? If so, and you have the free time, then you could do it. It will be alot of trouble and probably not worth the effort...

Also, the source of stepmania will not help you at all. There is no way you can just port it. So you might as well just start from scratch yourself.

And TheRico, yes it can play sound. If you have the right headphone connector for the port on the bottom, sound can be achived the same way as you would send data across that port. You just keep writing to it according to what sound you need (More detailed tutorial is probably out there).

-----Soccr743-----
Old 04-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I have a crappy DDR game for my calculator. It's fun. Kind of.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
zeroskaterkd
FFR Player

Yeah, I do too, hence making me want to do this more.

Also, I've just recently learned that TI-89s have a C++ Compiler... which = EASY port, but I'll look into that.

Also, sound is of no concern, I just want a smooth frame-rate with Created patterns.

Doesn't seem too tough if I did my research, but I don't know where to start, hence Looking at the code.

~Mulletron
Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
soccr743
FFR Player
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to soccr743 Send a message via MSN to soccr743 Send a message via Yahoo to soccr743

"Also, I've just recently learned that TI-89s have a C++ Compiler... which = EASY port, but I'll look into that"

Nope not at all... If you think that porting stepmania to the TI-89 is easy then you need to rethink this whole project... First off the TI-89 functions way differently graphically then the computer so you would need to write your own graphics functions (I assume that the TI-89 does not have built in sprite capabilities like the NES, GB, etc have). Also, using a C++ compiler means slower code then human created assembly. And on a small machine where speed matters, you need to optimize everything you can.

How much experience do you have programming? Because of you plan to do this and make it run well, you will need alot of experience programming in any low level language + a good bit of experience using assembly.

-----Soccr743-----
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

Both calculators are very limited, yes- I've seen impressive raycasters for both, but with 56x80 resolution, you aren't going to get much on the TI-83, and I'm almost certain that the 89 doesn't have much better, if you can learn TI-ASM, you can learn C++ from what I've heard ASM is much harder. But from reading what you've already posted, it seems doubtful that you know much code.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
zeroskaterkd
FFR Player

TI-89 does have sprite features... Yeah, I know barely enough basic to get by, and now the project is turning into a "Probable - Improbable" Question.

Bottom line is looking: Probable but pointless.

Mulletron.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

Bottom Line: Improbable, and pointless.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
xp_guardian
FFR Player

some body on the DDRFREAK forum is doing that allready. they say they could be done in the next month or so. or are u the same person
Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
TheRico
FFR Player

Ahahahaha 'C++ = EASY port' Give up any hope whatsoever that you might even start this project, let alone finish this. You do not seem knowledgeable at all.
TheRico is offline   Reply With Quote