Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #61
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e
Default Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGhost View Post
Just wondering, what's with SD_Tsugamush's scores in D4... they're higher than the maximum...

Tsuga was moved from D3 to D4.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #62
Xayphon
sausage
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Zombie Sunset ヽ(*′ω`)ノ゙
Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #63
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

As always, lol, here are my thoughts on this tourney's round songs.

Division 1: La Cereza Caliente.

It's a pretty cool song! Some sound effects remind me of worm armaggedon for the GBA! xD But still, it's pleasing to listen to.

As far as the file itself, it's also easier than what D1 got last round. The AAA came down the road easily, and not only will this be a AAA cutoff... But I predict an entire AAA round. That's right. Every single person in D1 still going on will AAA this. And the AAA cutoff will come by this weekend.

It's also Elite Ninja's first file. And I hope he knows that he did a really good job with it! Of course it's not something revolutionnary, but it's a pretty cool addition to the game. This is something I'd recommend to people starting to play this game in hope to hook them up though.

Division 2: Stay Crunchy.

Ahahaha, I love that one! <3

It's a really chill song, and actually the best song we got so far in D2! Gotta love how smooth it goes. It's not especially a song that was destined to be stepped, but it definitely had potential.

The best way to describe the chart is "It flows". Even with the mini jacks which you have to tense a bit with, the chart just flows through along with the song. who_cares973 did great use of this aspect of the song. It's his second file in the tournament, but if you ask me, it's his best so far.

It's a pretty smooth Challenging file. Actually, when I read that this would have streams, I was scared that we'd get {Rose} or streams of similar speed, in which even the SDG would be out of reach for me. But nah, I'm relieved to see what kind of file we got here!

The main thing that poses a challenge for me here is the length. Consistency is not really my strong suit.

The competition in D2 will be extra-tight, this round.

Division 3: spanish.

ROFLMAO this is so similar to a progressive/melodic death metal song I wrote some time ago... xD I had to laugh every now and then at my riffs while playing through this one...

Again, a pretty long song. But it's a fun one! Yay for acoustic Malmsteen-like guitar shredding. But at the same time, you don't strictly have a huge pack of Batio speed technical lightning ninja shred without much thought put into it. It's also cool, even though I'm not really a fan of the genre. But it's one of the best of its type that I've heard in my life. Maybe because it has similarities with shit I wrote before, especially regarding the rythm sections, my lead was a lot more arpeggio based.

The chart is surprisingly well done. I would have suspected a file like this to be amazingly off sync (hello Caprice and RAT), but since the genius file making of MarioNintendo and bmah was put to use in here, there wasn't much to worry about. Good job y'all. I need private lessons on charting by people like you (Hit me, Felix! I'm also in Quebec City! *hint hint* *nudge nudge*)!

This is totally AAAable by D3, though I don't think many of these guys will manage to pull it off. I don't know what hinted me this. Feminine instincts, I guess.

Division 4: Colorful Course.

This file is a blast. Kjwkjw makes cool stuff.

Luckily for me, the jumpstreams aren't too dense. They are my absolute worst pattern right after left hand trills/jacks (because my left hand is a ****). But Kjwkjw (ahaha, I love writing Kjwkjw, everytime I do, I try to pronounce it with a French "J", and it makes me laugh because it never sounds like what I'm expecting to pronounce xD) didn't go berzerk with it in such a way that all of it would be unreadable.

The entire chart blends so well with the song. I played it 3 times so far, and every time, I found myself dancing or some shit. I'll be getting the FC on that for sure! So fun! =3 The minijacks are a bit frustrating though.

As far as the song, I hinted a bit of Kommisar here and here, but no, nothing from him at all. This "Yuuyu" person/band sure did a good job with this happy tune. Much better than 95% of the happy bullshit already in game (FUUUUUU 101 kittens is retarded).

Anyway, greatest file D4 got so far. Pretty sure you guys are happy with it! ^^

Also, best file this round. Kjwkjw, you are a boss.

[...]

KJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJWKJW!!!!

Division 5: Magical Higan Tour 2009.

Yay for the easiest FGO in existence or so!

Ok not really, lots of FGOs easier than this (Crowdpleaser, Necropotence, Ketsarku Mozgalom, Frictional Nevada, Nomida Nuda Tenemus or Molto Vivace come to mind). Fun to actually have a FGO that I can play though! Helps rating it! =)

Lots of bursts in this. And it's great. The entire file is done with before you can even realize what you just played. To think that this almost lasts 2 minutes and 30 seconds... I guess you are too absorbed by the song's intensity to keep track of time.

Talking about track of time, the beginning of the sound track sounds like a clock (OH HORRIBLEST PUN-ISH THING EVER, PLEASE KILL ME ALIVE FOR THIS!), and it's pretty cool, as it sets the mood before the song (that has absolutely nothing to do with it) starts, a recurring thing among FGOs. Have a cool intro and then bursts into weird**** noises for the rest of the file, lol. SOOOOO many FGOs like that. Especially Venetian Snares files.

It's not something I'd put on my ipod, lol. It's not t+pazolite's best song either. Necropotence takes the cake for me.

Can't wait to see how D5 deal with this... I predict at least 1 AAA... Last round's file was much harder than this.

Division 6: Zombie Sunset.

Wow, this is madness... Still, I believe it's AAA or die as well this time.

I can't believe what kind of level D6 are currently at. Some favorites have been eliminated last round, namely AlexDest. You guys are just batshit insane, lol.

I didn't like the song that much. Welcome to lawn Wake whatever on crack. Really random song but I feel like it didn't have that much potential for stepping. Leonid, being what he is, managed to do something decent out of it, but this is just wtf beyond belief. Like Rato, but worse. And for damn shit, longest song in the tourney so far.

Again, no hate for the file itself, its ok. But I dunno, that level is boring. Sure, one could argue that I can't really understand how awesome this file is because I can't listen to my keytaps, or cannot read through this thing well, but I don't know. Honestly, I'd rather play Death Piano (actually, I like DP.), or even Vrofl, because the song is cool.

This is one of the only levels that I didn't like so far in the tournaments...

But whatever. It's main purpose was to set up some sort of challenge, and I guess that D6 will have it. I wish you guys a better round 6, though, and a sure thing is, the Vrofl token will sure be a nice token of skill displayed at this tournament for AAAing this monster.

And hell, only round 5 in. Bring the FSOs in, seriously.

Because, to quote a certain someone in D6...

We ain't playing.

Endnote.

I'm not too satisfied with these reviews. They took me a bit more than an hour to write, but I dunno, they feel blunt (I don't even know if that's the right word, but who cares!)... I'll try to do better next round.

Nice round here, lots of awesome files! Second best so far! Last round, all of the tournament's divisions got great files, and this time, only D6 got something that sucked.

Again, I'd like to know what I should add to this! By now, lots of people told me that they like my reviews (it makes me feel important, I have to admit! =3), and I'd like to deliver something nice! =) Keep sending me teh loev! And eventual criticism!

Nice tourney everyone! And good luck for Vrofl GET!

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 12-14-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #64
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If those are blunt reviews you're probably putting everybody else to shame.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #65
Hateandhatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
If those are blunt reviews you're probably putting everybody else to shame.
They are compared to my older stuff.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #66
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGuru View Post
It's a good chart. Don't know what you're talking about.
^^^^^^^

I've only played higan so far, but I love it. Once I get a good score on that, I'll be playing the others.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #67
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
D3: This is more of an artsy file that belongs on SM rather than ffr. Most certainly not a tourney chart. That Intro is something I'd have cut out. Completely. That framer isn't pretty either.
The intro is literally the best part of the file, what are you on (besides haterade).

This file is perfect for the tourney because of the intro, the couple of colored parts along with your standard 16th stuff, and then the trill.

So yeah, uh. Even though //SUBJECTIVEMANIAS\\, your reviews are never going to be taken seriously because they're pretty much wrong.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #68
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

midnight is to ffr as dossar is to _______
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #69
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
Chinese pop culture.

PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeShinoda12345
blabla, my score is gonna end up being in last place blabla
No, just no. The fact that you even thought of this as a possibility is insane. I'm fairly confident that my 9-1-0-4 will keep me in the top 8 and you have nearly 4 clean x.x (especially seeing as last round, the cutoff was at like 18 goods for a FMO..)

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-14-2011 at 11:54 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #70
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
professional sheep shearing

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #71
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
stepmania turtle
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #72
Hateandhatred

Quote:
me.

OH SNAP

(No hate Midnight, just lulz)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #73
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Great reviews again, Hateandhatred.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #74
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

D3's file is pretty fun, but dat trill......kills me as a split player haha. Haven't really fully tried others yet, but D5 and D6 files seemed pretty awesome.
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #75
woker-X
.... :.. .:. ::

La Cereza Caliente - Easy file. But it's a great one. Good job Elite, welcome to the FFR Simfile Author!! o/

Stay Crunchy - excelent file wc, a bit tricky though.

spanish - This file is just awesome, favorite of this week. It's so hard to AAA on it, yet very easy to develop mindblocks. bmah + MarioNintendo... it's a great, great collab.

Colorful Course - The flow in this chart is excellent, but I agree with hi19... that trill into 32nd roll is mean xD.

Magical Higan Tour 2009 - I love this song!!!!!... and I could have played it ._. ... and the file is as great as the song, congrats!!

Zombie Sunset - lol minijacks... great file... it flows well but I just suck at it for the length.
woker-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #76
Ryusei_
God
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ryusei_ Send a message via Yahoo to Ryusei_ Send a message via Skype™ to Ryusei_

The only real complain I have for any of the files is Zombie. I really REALLY wish FFR would learn to cut song instead of having 10 seconds of close to silence for 1-2 notes. It's just silly and doesn't add anything to the chart at all.

We used to cut songs (LWIV)...What ever happened to that mentality?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #77
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!

I really enjoy Round 5's D3 song. The music is killer, although some notes are a bit hard for me to hit haha. The trill is no problem though; I don't have problems with trills usually.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #78
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei_ View Post
I still cut songs :^).
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #79
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusei_ View Post
It never disappeared. People still do it. I do.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #80
Ryusei_
God
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ryusei_ Send a message via Yahoo to Ryusei_ Send a message via Skype™ to Ryusei_

It's rarely used these days it seems. Playing though FMOs these past few days, I can think of at least 3 that do it and there's more, I'm sure. Why are files that have these huge dramatic pauses at the end all for a note after 10 seconds of nothing even being accepted?

I'd love to see that stop entirely unless any of you secretly think it adds shit tons of character to a file.