Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #61
jamuko
FFR Player

Default Re: So, windows 7 came out

THANK YOU MISTER GOOGLES!wtf
I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
There's lots of happiness in my pocket
So let's play forever~
jamuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #62
virus003
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to virus003

Judging by the amount of FFR today I played on Windows 7, it's like playing on Vista now. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUioX View Post
too hard and too long.. the rest of it was easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundb0x View Post
i still have photos of my dad dickfeeding me when i was like 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
stop back seat modding its annoying
virus003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #63
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite- View Post
I just got my windows 7 professional for $30...but I'm not going to install it over my XP. I'm going to wait a bit until I really need to upgrade. I just wanted the good deal now.
Duel boot it. Contact me over AIM if you need help doing that. You can just shrink your current partition and in fact run all your apps and files such as music off your XP partition.

Also I forget to list my experiences with Windows7 RC.

I installed it on 4 computers, 3 of them being my friends.

My Computer: Everything working fine. Had something happen twice which made it so I couldn't open files, or use any part of explorer.exe, restarting it didn't help. Rebooting fixed it but wtf.
EDIT: This was in fact on 2 different computers, a home built one and a Lenovo laptop. Happened once for each of them.

Computer 2: explorer.exe after a couple of weeks would simply crash every 30 seconds and pop an error message up which wouldn't be closed until you manually restarted explorer.exe in a command line.

Computer 3: Same thing as computer 2 but it happens sooner

Computer 4: The start button on boot won't work until you restart explorer.exe

On every one of these computers, Firefox was the browser and NoScript was used and all my friends who used Windows 7 know how to use it well. This pretty much eliminates the assumption that we all got viruses. Computer 3 also had McAffee (lol)

So basically Windows7 RC sucks ass, I'm using it now on my machine but I'm probably just going to use XP again, as the sole reason I have any version of Windows on my computer is for gaming and other comparability issues. All 4 computers had exclusive Windows 7 drivers released which I installed. Hopefully all these problems are fixed in the official release, or at least by SP1. I'll try them both and hope there are no more mess ups. I'm just going to stick with Linux distros.

Last edited by fido123; 10-26-2009 at 12:25 AM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #64
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That seems hard to believe. For one thing the official release of windows 7 has only been out for a few days.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #65
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

The only problems I had with the RC was that sleep mode only worked 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 it would randomly turn itself back in the middle of the night, making me **** myself, or it would get into an unstoppable power loop and I'd have to kill the PSU for a bit.

But wow, Fido. I've not heard of anything like that from anyone else. Maybe you had a bad download? I dunno.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #66
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
That seems hard to believe. For one thing the official release of windows 7 has only been out for a few days.
The RC was released quite a few months ago. I've been using Windows 7 for a while.

Also I would probably upgrade from XP/Vista if I was using Windows for more than gaming but I don't.

EDIT: Wasn't a bad download. I gave each person their own disc. Although I know this kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time, this is why I don't use Windows lol. It's the most bloated and unreliable OS I know. I don't understand why the OS that costs the most has the most bloat code and less features than the free one. </elitist rant>

srsly though if we all switch to Linux and the market share flips we're all set 8D

Last edited by fido123; 10-26-2009 at 12:38 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #67
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
The only problems I had with the RC was that sleep mode only worked 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 it would randomly turn itself back in the middle of the night, making me **** myself, or it would get into an unstoppable power loop and I'd have to kill the PSU for a bit.
my laptop with Vista 64bit SP2 does this **** every so often.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #68
Izzy
Snek

What do you people do to screw over your OS? I always hear stories about peoples hardware failing or their monitors dieing or possibly their OS giving ridiculous errors. What do you do to your computers? It seems like people kick their PC's or something. Why do people claim their harddrives randomally fail all the time. I have crappy HD's from 10 years ago that I haven't particularly taken good care of and they work fantastic. I haven't ever had hardware break or had any major OS crashing issues. It leaves me confused.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #69
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

People don't know how to take care of their ****, run spyware checks regularly, keep things running clean and efficient, etc. **** just keeps building up until everything's so tightly convoluted and corrupt that things start failing.

Empty your case of dust, keep the computer clear of virii, give everything proper ventilation, don't be retarded, and you're good to go.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #70
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Or just buy a mac

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #71
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

I don't know what you're all talking about.
Windows 7 works like a charm and I'm still using revision 7100. Everything works smoothly, FFR plays great when you disable Aero, openITG works well, games play well, shutdown and startup is lightning fast.

Windows 7 > Windows Vista SP2 > Windows XP SP3 > Windows Vista (release)
Just disable the security features in the control panel and don't do anything stupid. :]
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #72
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

oh dam I needs to get some of that cuz my laptop is new and you can get updated for free!
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #73
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
Or just buy a mac
i
NOW I'VE LOST IT

I KNOW I CAN KILL

THE TRUTH LIES JUST BEYOND THE GATE
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #74
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
Or just buy a mac
I'm sorry I don't have the extra $2000 to fork out for a nice metrosexual design. Also I like my computer to do more than media design and browse the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
What do you people do to screw over your OS? I always hear stories about peoples hardware failing or their monitors dieing or possibly their OS giving ridiculous errors. What do you do to your computers? It seems like people kick their PC's or something. Why do people claim their harddrives randomally fail all the time. I have crappy HD's from 10 years ago that I haven't particularly taken good care of and they work fantastic. I haven't ever had hardware break or had any major OS crashing issues. It leaves me confused.
I honestly don't know why this **** is happening. Windows in general if a VERY bloated OS and it does tend to crash, and have more problems than any other popular OS. These people were using NoScript and they know how to use it well so I doubt there's any malware. Maybe it's just because it's the RC, or Windows 7 just doesn't like the chipsets used in our computers.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #75
fido123
FFR Player

So I finished writing a cover letter on Windows 7 cause I was too lazy to reboot after playing WoW. I finish it up and I saved it at the beginning and by habit I hit Ctrl + S after every sentence. I was on MSO2010 on Word. So I notice it hasn't actually been saving ever since I did the header. Tried to open up notepad and it says it can't be accessed. All my quick launch icons not in use and the start button disappear. When I minimized all my other icons were there but if I clicked them nothing happens, Windows 7 ftw. Restarted and it's all fine but I now I have to restart. Will not be using Windows 7 to type **** up ever again until I upgrade my version at least.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #76
Dr Tran
Banned

yeah windows is dumb. i dont need it and im pretty sure linux and mac are compatible with all m-
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #77
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
yeah windows is dumb. i dont need it and im pretty sure linux and mac are compatible with all m-
Linux has an alternative for EVERYTHING. You can game on Linux using WINE if you have a while to configure it or Cedega if you want to spend $30/yr (Still cheaper than Windows really unless you pirate it), and it gets a better performance. It just can't run every game, which is why I have it. Plus compatability doesn't have anything to do with the OS rather than what OS the program was compiled for. I'd rather do all I can on an OS that isn't bloated to **** and has a **** ton of problems with it, and I can do everything I want to besides newer games.

Last edited by fido123; 10-26-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #78
Dr Tran
Banned

things install easier and faster
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #79
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
things install easier and faster
You obiously don't know a thing about Linux. If I want to install for example Firefox on Ubuntu if it didn't already come with it. I could do one of two things. Go into terminal and type "$sudo apt-get install firefox", or go to Applications --> Software Center, type in firefox, then click install. Don't even have to open my browser. The server used to download this stuff are ungodly fast, and things install godly fast as well on a Linux system. Beats hunting for a .exe then following on screen instructions while it tries to shove bloat ware you don't want on you like some ****ty yahoo toolbar for IE.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #80
Izzy
Snek

You have some extreme exaggeration of windows issues. I know it has some problems, but I have never experienced anything like you are describing. It isn't good to be so horribly biased like that. You'll start looking for problems to get into.

"oh woops, I accidentally restarted my PC when it was installing something and now my registry is messed up" "mac wouldn't have this problem."