Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #21
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111

*is served*
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #22
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

P-A-I-D.

Jesus Christ.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 PM   #23
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Alright, here's the thing. What makes number of teachers in Oklahoma so low? Is it the student to teacher ratio? Who did the poll about it? If I get some data I might be able to do something with it.

Deltro, if you even suggest that people should do things for the sake of doing them again you might as well be kicked out of CT. It's breaking economics law number 2: Incentives matter. By saying that teachers should teach because it should be that they want to teach (which is good but not true) you're saying that pay is nothing to them. If there's no pay where did the incentive to work go? What would happen if you desire to share knowledge with others diminished? Your quality of work would diminish. If you work for money that's never a problem (until you realize that no matter what happens your pay goes down, in which case you find a new job. Yay for marginal disvalue curves!) Your desire to get more money would normally last longer anyway. Your being greedy causes me to benefit from your better services!

Yes, it's true that I want to teach when I'm older. I'm looking forward to making a living off of teaching a college class or two, doing loads of reasearch and publishing several books of simplified economics to the masses. You know that would be an awesome book. You know it.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

If you increase pay, you need to increase the bar for the qualifications of teachers. Either that, or you have to lay off teachers to keep budgets from getting out of hand.

That is the case where I live.

Besides, pay the teachers higher in your area, and the taxes are higher in your area. The children aren't the ones rating the teacher on who should get a raise though, so the bad teachers are gaining money too.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #25
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Children, no. But in HS... well, lets just say my English teacher from senior year didn't come back for her second year. Damn bitch woulda given Squeek nightmares with her grammar mistakes.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #26
The_Q
FFR Player

So that would make taxes too high? Then let's privatize it! Would it not be great to have a greater competition between teachers (which either produces better teachers or diminishes the number of crappy teachers) and at the same time should lower the prices of private schooling.

My last argument against raising the salaries of teachers: are there currently people in a waiting list to become teachers? Yes. From this I would assume that the pay is good enough for there to be people actually waiting to get the job.

Q
Old 02-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #27
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

No. You cannot privatize education. I don't know if you were being serious. There is a much greater importance at stake then immediate economic feasability. If you privatize education, then you are cutting a whole lot of people out of ever being able to have a fair start at life, and you are causing future employment standards to deteriorate to the level of uneducated supply that will subsequently follow.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #28
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Q only cares about maximizing happiness for this generation (specifically, himself) so that argument is moot if you're directing it at him.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #29
alainbryden
Seen your member

He'll change his mind when he has kids.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #30
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Kids aren't very cost-effective.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #31
The_Q
FFR Player

Quote:
Kids aren't very cost-effective.
Benefits aren't always measured in money.

Q
Old 02-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #32
alainbryden
Seen your member

did Q just place something before money? Oh the things love does.