Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-4-2009, 03:52 PM   #41
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The BEST ps2 rpg?

I played Persona 3 for 100+ hours yet in the end I admitted to myself that I didn't really find the game that fun. I mean half way through the game I had most "dating sim" stats as high as they could go so I didn't need to do anything during the day or evening. The conversation trees weren't that exciting, the story was pretty good but far too drawn out.

Then all I had was tartarus but every 10 floors I was blocked and had to sit through a month of nothing to get some action. Once you get the secret door with the super enemies and can level everyone up in about 10 seconds it's laughable.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 03:56 PM   #42
Heartseeker7
Untz Untz Untz Untz
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I spent hours playing Champions: Return to Arms with my neighbour.

Either that or Monster Hunter (online play). Those were my favourite 2.
Dark cloud 1 was alright too.
Heartseeker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 04:02 PM   #43
Infernova
Onii-chan!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Infernova

I found fusing a lot of fun.

I was about level 30 by the time I had realised that skills were passive, and so I spent a lot of time trying to fuse as many Personae as I could with decent skills, and even tried to down-fuse to get Orpheus with Morning Glory and Die For Me!, although I think I failed, since some of that stuff takes hours to do. xD

If you had joined clubs you should have had something to do during the day and evening, and since it's barely possible to max every Social Link in a playthrough, pretty sure there would have been those left to work on. =P

I can understand why you would find it boring though. Some of the bosses were laughably pathetic, and I found myself only ever needing to think up a strategy when I attempted to solo them, which I inevitably ended up doing a lot of the time thanks to retarded AI who don't understand the concept of doing as they're instructed. =.=;

I'd say some of the most satisfying parts include becoming charmed and OHKO'ing each team member, since it added the only degree of challenge I experienced, after it ran out and I was left with 3/4 enemies and low HP, hahaha.
Infernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 04:39 PM   #44
NatsumiTheLucario
FFR Player

Location: The remains of ThunderClan after Firefgt got it on with Twi
Send a message via MSN to NatsumiTheLucario Send a message via Skype™ to NatsumiTheLucario

I think Dark Cloud 1 was a good RPG, rather than dc2 since it kinda sucked for me.

I ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE RAINBOW DASH
NatsumiTheLucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
knuckles2224
Angel Island ♥
FFR Veteran

Get Dynasty Warriors while you are at it. 4 or 5 will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrekusuof93 View Post
Knuckles you're just a rebel
knuckles2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 06:21 PM   #46
-Barista-
FFR Player

Dark Cloud was a terrible PoS. Hey look, I go into a dungeon and kill stuff over and over and over. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdarkness View Post
lol i created ffr
-Barista- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 08:30 PM   #47
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
I played Persona 3 for 100+ hours yet in the end I admitted to myself that I didn't really find the game that fun. I mean half way through the game I had most "dating sim" stats as high as they could go so I didn't need to do anything during the day or evening. The conversation trees weren't that exciting, the story was pretty good but far too drawn out.

Then all I had was tartarus but every 10 floors I was blocked and had to sit through a month of nothing to get some action. Once you get the secret door with the super enemies and can level everyone up in about 10 seconds it's laughable.
Ditto.

The only good part about P3 was the secret dungeon and the ending, especially if you saw the "bad" ending first.

I kinda cheated by leveling to 99 before beating the game, even though that's not cheating. The final boss was ridiculously easy as a result.

As for Champions, a resounding HELL YES if you're a fan of western RPGs and/or beat-em-ups. In fact, play the entire series. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2, then Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms. They're all great fun.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 09:54 PM   #48
psychopete
Quite electrifying.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychopete

PS2 RPGs, eh?

Wild Arms 3 - If you don't mind old titles (I mean, you can get it for $10 or less now), but despite the predictable story, it's a very good time.
Wild Arms 5 - Takes the battle system from Wild Arms 4 (the only notable part of that game) and adds a story with easily identifiable themes, but manages to have humorous dialogue.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - If you can get your hands on this, BUY IT. JRPGs (sans Disgaea) don't get much weirder than this.
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 - One of the best battle systems, improving on Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne's press turn system, wonderful OST, wonderful story...simply amazing, if you play these two games.
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Persona 3 has definitely mentioned before, but if you are interested, get FES.
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Improves on Persona 4 in every way. Sure, there's only two more "dating sim" stats to raise, but the characters are bearable at the very least, the voice acting is surprisingly good, the story is compelling, and the battle system is much improved when compared to Persona 3's. Not to mention that Persona 4 got rid of an annoying element from Persona 3 that determined how you performed in battle/who you could use in battle.
psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2009, 10:13 PM   #49
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

I third Champions RTA being an excellent game. It's an MMORPG-style action RPG for the PS2, and it's terrific.
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 03:55 AM   #50
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernova View Post
I found fusing a lot of fun.
I did fusing, I had 90%+ of the fusions, including doing all the missions she gives you.

Quote:
If you had joined clubs you should have had something to do during the day and evening, and since it's barely possible to max every Social Link in a playthrough, pretty sure there would have been those left to work on. =P
I had about 10 social links maxed, almost attempted playing again before realising that I would have nothing to do but those social links, which aren't too fun anyway.

Quote:
I'd say some of the most satisfying parts include becoming charmed and OHKO'ing each team member, since it added the only degree of challenge I experienced, after it ran out and I was left with 3/4 enemies and low HP, hahaha.
One thing I'll never understand. If anyone in my team dies then they can be revived, healed, whatever. Not just by myself but by others too. If I die then it's game over, forget that anyone else can heal or revive, nope, it's all over. Stupid logic.
Old 02-5-2009, 05:10 AM   #51
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
One thing I'll never understand. If anyone in my team dies then they can be revived, healed, whatever. Not just by myself but by others too. If I die then it's game over, forget that anyone else can heal or revive, nope, it's all over. Stupid logic.
Hey, it makes more sense than Star Ocean.

You ran out of mana! You died.

No, seriously. You die if you run out of mana. Not because you don't have MP to cast a heal. Because your mana is 0/XXX.

Also, there is zero point to P3 once you make a Messiah with Die for Me!, Morning Star, Victory Cry, Salvation, Regen 3, Invig 3, and whatever else there was I can't even remember who cares anyway the Morning Star kills everything in one shot and Victory Cry regens all the mana you used so you can just do it again next time.

Take one of those with maxed stats and four level 99 characters to the final boss and see if it's a little bit easier.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-5-2009 at 05:21 AM..
Old 02-5-2009, 07:33 AM   #52
TheNamesH
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Any of the tales series (except legendia eww), Any final fantasy, and Star Ocean =)

First Place Beginner division
Phynx unofficial tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
Play with it, touch it, feel it and talk to me about it in the morning.

Cheers,

Synthlight
TheNamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 08:03 AM   #53
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamesH View Post
Any of the tales series (except legendia eww), Any final fantasy, and Star Ocean =)
This is pretty easy to understand. Legendia was made by Namco, but not by the Tales team. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_Tales_Studio

Last year I would've been able to say that anything made by NTS is bound to be a great game, but then I played ToS2. What a travesty that turned out to be. So now I say any game in their "Mothership" lineup, as seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hership_titles

Last edited by Squeek; 02-5-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Old 02-6-2009, 09:22 AM   #54
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Second/thirding all the Baldur's Gate/Champions games.

I've logged around 100 hours into both Champions of Norrath games because I like being a power-leveled GOD ELF THING. I decimated Return to Arms on the hardest difficulty as a result and it was so much fun. Seriously, getting a group together to play those games... Some of my best memories as a gamer.

I will not give my support to Radiata Stories. I liked it at first - a whole lot. I thought it was clever and charming.

But then I found out that due to the time system, in game... The game's plot would literally progress without me. After that, I lost interest. Missions that are reliant on time or plot points that require me to be at X for Y to happen and if I'm not, too bad, try again next play-through just irks me. I love the combat system and the characters, but the plot progression threw me off. Oh, I'm going to rest in an Inn to recover my stats.

But wait! The next day, I drop my current mission and am forced to go all the way across the world and never get to pick up that first mission again GODAMMIT

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2009, 08:31 AM   #55
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Hey, it makes more sense than Star Ocean.

You ran out of mana! You died.

No, seriously. You die if you run out of mana. Not because you don't have MP to cast a heal. Because your mana is 0/XXX.
Maybe your body is fuelled by mana? It's like using your own blood to kill things, thus when you use all your mana you die. If it was like that then I'd understand.

Quote:
P3 stuff
I can't remember everything and am too lazy to go set up my PS2, but I had lucifer and Satan and whoever else (megasomething) at level 99 with tons of good stuff, characters at level 99. One of them had some spell that did 9999 damage to everyone and had another ability that restored all mana when you finished the battle. It broke it for me, instant win every time. Final boss was pathetic, I didn't even heal.

That sort of stuff is what you were saying I guess?

Still, PS2 sure was a good console for RPGs, I may even be tempted to set it back up and buy some cheap ones some time that I never played.
Old 02-8-2009, 03:39 PM   #56
Ai No Mi
FFR Player

Persona 4.
Ai No Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2009, 03:22 PM   #57
_Ashuku
FFR Player

Quote:
Maybe your body is fuelled by mana? It's like using your own blood to kill things, thus when you use all your mana you die. If it was like that then I'd understand.

I can't remember everything and am too lazy to go set up my PS2, but I had lucifer and Satan and whoever else (megasomething) at level 99 with tons of good stuff, characters at level 99. One of them had some spell that did 9999 damage to everyone and had another ability that restored all mana when you finished the battle. It broke it for me, instant win every time. Final boss was pathetic, I didn't even heal.

That sort of stuff is what you were saying I guess?

Still, PS2 sure was a good console for RPGs, I may even be tempted to set it back up and buy some cheap ones some time that I never played.
Did you beat the secret boss
BTW the persona with the 9999 damage is a lucifer + satan fusion attack
Old 02-9-2009, 04:04 PM   #58
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ashuku View Post
Did you beat the secret boss
BTW the persona with the 9999 damage is a lucifer + satan fusion attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya
almost attempted playing again before realising that I would have nothing to do but those social links, which aren't too fun anyway.
I wasn't playing through the whole game a 2nd time and completing all her damn requests again just for an optional boss.
Old 02-9-2009, 06:22 PM   #59
_Ashuku
FFR Player

Quote:
I wasn't playing through the whole game a 2nd time and completing all her damn requests again just for an optional boss.
you don't have to do all the quest just one certain one.
anyways I recommend Grandia 2,i'd play 1 but I don't know where I could possibly get it
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 AM   #60
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ashuku View Post
I recommend Grandia 2,i'd play 1 but I don't know where I could possibly get it
Amazon. Play-Asia. Ebay.

You've not really looked have you.