Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Default Running one synthesizer through another as a line-in

I posted this question on Yahoo Answers, shortly before realizing that nobody was going to answer it, so I thought I'd post it here to see if I got better results. Here's my question:

So I have a free Audio Unit synthesizer on Garageband called Automat, which is really nice for wave manipulation (good delays, modulation, etc.), but the oscillator waves and the samples it gives you to do stuff with really suck. Another free synthesizer I have, Crystal, is just the opposite. It has good samples and wave generators, but its interface is really annoying, and it's harder to work with. Automat, however, has an option for its oscillators called "linein", which I'm guessing means you can run another track or sound through the synthesizer. So I was wondering, is it possible to run Crystal in one track, and run Automat in another track and have Crystal running as a line-in through Automat? And can you do this while simultaneously muting Crystal's track?
somethingillremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Doctor_Attitude
FFR Player

Default Re: Running one synthesizer through another as a line-in

Unless the software is designed to use it's fx processing for external sounds, it's really doubtful. You might need to find other methods of processing your signal via vst effects and such. Unfortunately I don't think automat supports that functionality

http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Free_Apps and you can find some really great vsts for processing
Doctor_Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
DJAirWave
Why am I still here?
FFR Music Producer

I have no idea what Garageband is like since "I'm a PC". However, I do have Crystal. I agree to the annoying interface, it tends to misbehave. I took all the synths from crystal and made WAV samples, then I edit them into my music through Deckadance.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but that's how I solved the problem.
DJAirWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

Line-In usually reffers to having something plug into the PC or Mac or whathaveyou... SO I'm guessing it reffers to having an external synth hardware come in and then your software manipulates it... But not too sure, sorry
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Ah, okay. I guess I could combine the sample-making thing with what zajac said. Maybe it'll work.

Also, as a side note, Garageband uses Audio Units, not VST's, and Automat misbehaves all the time, but you can put an infinite number of points in it's modulation envelopes, and it has 14 of them, and it's just more simple to use. I highly suggest it, although be careful when using the "Random" function, because sometimes it'll shoot the audio output through the roof. Thanks for the input guys!

Another quick question: I'm thinking about getting a VST to AU converter, but it's 70 bucks, and my budget is tight. Should I get it, and do they really work?

Also, Dr.Attitude is a sweet name. How did you come up with it?

Last edited by somethingillremember; 01-27-2009 at 07:09 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
fido123
FFR Player

Don't use Garageband if you seriously want to get into making music...torrent yourself FL Studio's or Reason.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

I need FL.... I might get it soon.

Currently though I am working on my left hand in my piano song, making it more interesting, and less monotonous.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Don't use Garageband if you seriously want to get into making music...torrent yourself FL Studio's or Reason.
You would be surprised at what Garageband with a bunch of plugins can do. And personally, I don't like Fruity Loops, never tried Reason, and if I were to get a program, I would probably opt for Logic.

But yeah, Garageband is way better than most people think, and it's more user friendly than most other programs.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

For your problem I would just record your Crystal track to wav and match the wav sample into your overall track/use with Automat.