Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-2-2009, 07:31 PM   #41
Infernova
Onii-chan!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Infernova
Default Re: Whatever happened to videogames with a PLOT?

To be perfectly honest there really wasn't all that much needed to be said to begin with. Even if we sat for hours questioning the reasons why developers these days aren't going to great lengths to make a decent plot for their FPS, it won't affect the fact that that sort of thing will still be churned out on a regular basis anyway. Unless any of us are directly involved with the industry, or wish to contact dev teams directly to tell them how shoddy their latest game was due to lack of a fresh story. Even then I doubt anything good will come from it. xD

A lot of it is down to opinion though, I guess, about what's good and what isn't. If you liked Marathon, play System Shock, since you're okay with dated graphics. Or you could try Call of Cthulhu, although it's not an FPS, but an interesting first person horror styled role playing game. Maybe Condemned if you like horror FPS. ;O;'
Infernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

That's the thing. There is no question. There's only the answer that nobody has decided to read.

Developers only make enough of a plot to make the drive the single player campaign from start to finish. Anything more is excessive and meaningless.

The rest of your development time can be spent making a kickass multiplayer, because that's what matters nowadays.

And once again, BioShock sold well for more than just its story. It sold for atmosphere and intuitive gameplay.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 08:14 PM   #43
Infernova
Onii-chan!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Infernova

Yeah, don't worry, I read all your posts and I know what you're saying. =P

To be honest what the OP appears to be searching for are games that are already out. Just needs to look in the right places to find them.

I still feel sad that mainstream fanbasing is what has killed a lot of series I once enjoyed, but it's how the industry works, and I guess there's nothing to stop it progressing in this fashion, unfortunately.

Whining like I am now won't exactly solve anything. xD
Infernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 08:18 PM   #44
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

I don't think anyone's ignoring what you have to say. They either don't reply because they agree with you or when they reply, talk about something besides what they agree with because there is really nothing else to say about it. I've felt like I've repeated myself several times in this thread, we all do.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 08:34 PM   #45
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernova View Post
Yeah, don't worry, I read all your posts and I know what you're saying. =P

To be honest what the OP appears to be searching for are games that are already out. Just needs to look in the right places to find them.

I still feel sad that mainstream fanbasing is what has killed a lot of series I once enjoyed, but it's how the industry works, and I guess there's nothing to stop it progressing in this fashion, unfortunately.

Whining like I am now won't exactly solve anything. xD
Yeah, I did want to know some places to get cool games with plots and start a discussion about why plot in games is absent much of the time (I would say nowadays, but you guys all know about Doom).

I won't lie though, I did really want to advertise marathon
somethingillremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2009, 08:43 PM   #46
tsugomaru
FFR Player

It shouldn't be counted as a bad thing, I'm sure you meant well. If I found a good game, of course I would want to tell all my friends despite the fact that they never listen to me or will ever bother trying it because I recommended it.

~Tsugomaru
Old 01-2-2009, 08:45 PM   #47
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingillremember View Post
Yeah, I did want to know some places to get cool games with plots and start a discussion about why plot in games is absent much of the time (I would say nowadays, but you guys all know about Doom).

I won't lie though, I did really want to advertise marathon
I know a great place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_role-playing_game

You keep saying "games" when you mean to say "games in the only genre that I care to play". Every time you say "games", I, like everyone else, assume you mean "all games", and we all know that's simply not true.

Last edited by Squeek; 01-2-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Old 01-2-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
somethingillremember
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I know a great place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_role-playing_game

You keep saying "games" when you mean to say "games in the only genre that I care to play". Every time you say "games", I, like everyone else, assume you mean "all games", and we all know that's simply not true.
Right, sorry. I should say FPS's. In some cases I meant "All games" but yeah, you're right, in most cases I meant FPS's.

But don't assume that I only care for FPS's, I never said that. They're my favorite, and I don't like MMORPG's, but I've played Baulder's Gate, KOTOR, and Silent Hill (I beat 3 and am in the middle of 2). And my favorite two games are Burnout: Takedown and Burnout: Paradise, which are racing games that have absolutely no plot whatsoever.
somethingillremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2009, 04:02 PM   #49
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

I luled cuz Kingdom Hearts was called unoriginal. Name another like it that's successful.

Keyword: Successful

Just becuase one doesn't like either of the two in the combination doesn't mean the game is fail. I loved the story and the characters. I'm not in it just for the FF characters, but the fact that SE did that is fanservice. And guess a lot of fans like when companys do things for them. So regardless of what you say catering to a fanbase isn't bad by any means rofl. Look at Namco Bandai they have a huge following and it's cuz they cater to there fanbase.

I'd rather have a company that caters to there fanbase than a company like Midway creating Unreal Tournament 3 so ****ing backwards and completely dumb down that it doesn't even really feel like a UT game anymore. UT04. UT03, UT99, UC2, good games. UT3 not so much.

But back to the original post. I don't think shooters need story. I never buy a shooter for story, in fact it actually makes me angry when I have to play singleplayer to unlock something for use in Multiplayer. I actually wouldn't mind FPSs ditching the whole singleplayer part. If it means more modes and more time and maps put in to Multiplayer I'm all for it.

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2009, 04:21 PM   #50
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I said mashing up a non-video game franchise with a video-game franchise is not original. As in Kingdom Hearts is not the first to do it. People like to give credit to KH for being the first mashup like this. It's not even remotely close to being the first.

Also, UT3 did cater to a fanbase. Just the wrong fanbase.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #51
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Kingdom Hearts is a horrible, cliched, unimaginative game that has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

And the sequel is even worse.

I have no idea why so many fanboys love it (oh wait, cloud is in it, right), but damn, people are really blinded with rose-colored glasses on this one. The plot is ridiculously bad and the best feature of the sequel is the ability to skip all of it.

The only original thing it did was blend Disney (which sucks) with Square-Enix (which sucks more). That's not original, though, since collaborations between non-video game characters and video game characters have been going on for years. It's just the first one to use Disney.
people love it because it's good, it has cool characters and it's fun to play, if you don't like it you don't have to bitch about it, just because someone likes Kingdom hearts doesn't make them blind they just have different tastes, the plot is actually good for some people.

i believe the success of kingdom hearts comes from being the first collaboration that actually works very well with 2 completely different worlds
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #52
Necamus
FFR Player

What kind of plot can racing games have...

"drive through that tunnel to save the world!"
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #53
tsugomaru
FFR Player

what about tetris

~Tsugomaru
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #54
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
I said mashing up a non-video game franchise with a video-game franchise is not original. As in Kingdom Hearts is not the first to do it. People like to give credit to KH for being the first mashup like this. It's not even remotely close to being the first.

Also, UT3 did cater to a fanbase. Just the wrong fanbase.
It was the first mash-up like that in the sense that it was Final Fantasy (known for RPGs and Cloud), and Disney (known for, well, Disney and princesses). I personally love Kingdom Hearts because of the battle system. And I'm a sucker for RPGs as well. =D
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #55
MarukuAntoni
mmmMMMmmm
FFR Veteran

I have work and school now so I can't play many games, mainly RPGs, which I love because of plot along with decent gameplay. I wish I can name them, but unfortunately can't. If anyone can mention an RPG that has a very good plot, with a not-so-slow pace (Xenosaga), then I'd greatly appreciate it. The only games I can remember having a nice plot was Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Trigger, and a few more. Kingdom Heart's plot wasn't too bad for me. That shows how much I've played...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #56
goelo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarukuAntoni View Post
If anyone can mention an RPG that has a very good plot, with a not-so-slow pace (Xenosaga), then I'd greatly appreciate it.
it depends on what you like sure RPG's, but theres a lot of themes like magic, robots, younameit
but i liked Tales of Phantasia for GBA a lot :P
if u have an emulator ill send u the link to download the game
goelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #57
weeeeeee
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to weeeeeee

Some scientists speculate that the "plot" section of the video game died out near the same time as the dinosaurs.
weeeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #58
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I skimmed over the thread and found the majority of it to be mostly in agreement with the "games are lacking in a good/any plot" idea. I strongly disagree, I think most people just play highly advertised games that ultimately don't deliver what they're looking for. I'm not trying to generalize everyone who posted in this thread, rather just state my opinion.

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #59
MarukuAntoni
mmmMMMmmm
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelo View Post
it depends on what you like sure RPG's, but theres a lot of themes like magic, robots, younameit
but i liked Tales of Phantasia for GBA a lot :P
if u have an emulator ill send u the link to download the game
Yes, I've played that game already. It was great. The controls were horrible, but for the most part it was great.

If I really think about it, I've actually played many RPGs, mainly old school ones. Games from Super Nintendo and Playstation. Anybody remember Guardian Crusade? I remember the gameplay, but not the story. Some of the Tales series were interesting. Star Ocean 2, Saga Frontier 1, Seiken Densetsu were among the others I've played. I'm going to find a list of all the Super Nintendo and Playstation games and figure out which ones I've played.

Last edited by MarukuAntoni; 01-14-2009 at 11:22 PM..
MarukuAntoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #60
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

graphic cards was invented