Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou
Default Re: Microsoft employee switches to a MacBook

Macs are amazing if you're doing work for school. They're also amazing if you're a graphic designer.

I would only own a PC if I were to use it for more personal stuff like music, IM'ing, movies, games...

Everyone in my high school class (2010) and the seniors, and everyone younger than us, I am guessing that out of all of us from grades 6+ would agree that the Macs are so much better for school. Every kid in 6th grade+ gets a laptop issued to them every school year. The middle schoolers (6-8) get Macs and the high schoolers (9-12) get Dells.

Maybe it's because the Dells suck, but we all pretty much hate them. They break easily, they get viruses easily and we can't do anything about it because the school admins block EVERYTHING except for what we need for school. When we had the Macs in middle school, they were a whole lot better and they hardly ever broke. There would probably be like 3 or 4 people in one grade level alone that would have their computers at the help desk compared to us... As high schoolers with our stupid Dells, there are probably around 30-100 Dells at the help desk getting repaired EVERY WEEK.

I'm pretty sure I only took my Mac to the help desk twice in middle school and they were problems that were easily fixed. I've taken my Dell to the help desk at least 15-20 times since freshman year, and I've had the exact same one since freshman year.

:/
Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #22
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Also if your computer can't even run Vista then it's time to update your computer. Experts say you should be getting a new computer every two years. I stick to doing it every four years. Seriously, if you can't even run Vista then you won't be able to run much of anything at all. Times change quickly in this world, folks. Game installs aren't 500MB anymore. We're almost at 20GB for one game. A terabyte isn't that big anymore. Hell I have more than a terabyte and I'm close to filling my capacity. It's time to get more than 512MB of RAM. It's time to move past that 128MB video card. It's time to get more than one core in your processor.
True - technology advances faster than almost any other field. Take a look at Moore's Law - it still holds true today (for the most part). Unfortunately, this isn't so for laptops. Some people have to buy a computer on a shoestring budget, and since desktops can easily run over 1000$ for just a midrange computer, Windows laptops are often the way to go, since Macs are often far more expensive.

Only one problem: people install Vista on these laptops that theoretically can't even support the OS at all (Vista supposedly needs a bare minimum of 512 MB to run, but many cheap laptops have less than this, often around the 400 MB range). I've seen friends with such computers - what are they supposed to do? Referencing what I said earlier, they can't afford Macs, and therefore must get a severely underpowered laptop for school with possibly under 500$ in their budget.

Sure, you can disable the Aero interface and other CPU-eating features, but that doesn't really help a whole lot when you've got virtually zero RAM and processing power.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Quote:
I have Vista. I bet I paid less for my desktop than he did for his notebook.

Vista has never crashed or frozen on me.
I am right there with you.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #24
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
You wouldn't have said that if Microsoft stuck with their three-year cycle.

I'm not really sure what caused them to drop that plan, either. They're getting back in it though. People hear about the next Windows and think 'oh they're doing it to cover their shame with vista'. Was Windows 98 to cover for 95's shame? Hell no. 95 kicked ass. Was 2000 to cover for 98's shame? Hell no. 98 kicked ass. Was XP to cover for 2000's shame? Hell no. 2000 kicked ass. Was Vista to cover for XP's shame? Hell no. XP kicked ass.

Also if your computer can't even run Vista then it's time to update your computer. Experts say you should be getting a new computer every two years. I stick to doing it every four years. Seriously, if you can't even run Vista then you won't be able to run much of anything at all. Times change quickly in this world, folks. Game installs aren't 500MB anymore. We're almost at 20GB for one game. A terabyte isn't that big anymore. Hell I have more than a terabyte and I'm close to filling my capacity. It's time to get more than 512MB of RAM. It's time to move past that 128MB video card. It's time to get more than one core in your processor.
It's not a question of being UNABLE to run it. It's that I'd rather not have my resources being applied to worthless graphics and things I really don't need or want.

And heck, the computer I got came with Vista installed. So I installed XP on it once I got it.

Then there's the fact that I consider myself to have a rather decent skill in working with computers, but that skill goes mostly out the window when I have to relearn everything on a new system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou
Macs are amazing if you're doing work for school. They're also amazing if you're a graphic designer.
Can you justify this statement? Windows-based has more software, even that covers the uses you identified. Windows based systems are wholly scalable, and you don't need to pay for any component you don't need. Modules can be upgraded independently and with ease. Finally, Apple hardware is freaking expensive compared to the alternatives, even the "name brand" IBM clones.

Quote:
Maybe it's because the Dells suck
Can you justify this statement? Every Dell I've ever worked on has worked well within its means. It's not super high end, but it's not trash either. They're inexpensive computers and they work just fine.

Quote:
they get viruses easily
No offense, but you are computer illiterate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission
since desktops can easily run over 1000$ for just a midrange computer
I spent less than 500 dollars for my setup. Roughly around 400 if I recall. Maybe ~500 if you count the speakers, keyboard, and video card I swapped in.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiks View Post
Mac is great, but OS X is just too hard to personalize and make your own. That's why I use Ubuntu on a MacBook, it's unbeatable.
How is unmodifiable and overpriced hardware a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
I have to agree with this. For typing things and doing presentations I find Macs are easier to use and have more appealing visualizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
Maybe it's because the Dells suck, but we all pretty much hate them. They break easily, they get viruses easily and we can't do anything about it because the school admins block EVERYTHING except for what we need for school. When we had the Macs in middle school, they were a whole lot better and they hardly ever broke. There would probably be like 3 or 4 people in one grade level alone that would have their computers at the help desk compared to us... As high schoolers with our stupid Dells, there are probably around 30-100 Dells at the help desk getting repaired EVERY WEEK.

I'm pretty sure I only took my Mac to the help desk twice in middle school and they were problems that were easily fixed. I've taken my Dell to the help desk at least 15-20 times since freshman year, and I've had the exact same one since freshman year.
I've had a Dell (Inspiron | 1300) for three years and it rarely gives me any problems at all and it goes though a lot of wear and tear at school. Also Afro is right, you're completely computer illiterate. The make of a computer does not determine the amount of viruses it gets. The only factor is people usually make viruses for Windows because that's what most people run (And I guess they figure Mac users suffer enough, snapz), and Mac is pretty useless for programming except for like UNIX I think. I have never gotten a virus except when I wanted a really ****ty CAD program so I could finish a project, it looked shifty like **** but I was desperate. I don't even use any anti-virus...just NoScript on FF.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I've had my old store bought HP computer for 8 years. Every time i run virus scans it always comes back with nothing. I browse the internet pretty heavily so I don't even understand what you would have to do to get a virus. Double click an exe called virus?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #27
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

For schools, Dell is always a cheaper and better option than Macs. I don't understand why schools would even want to buy a Mac. My school recently got a bunch of Macs to replace all the old Dells. Although all the new Macs run faster, once they are broken, they can't be fixed. You can't replace parts like the hard drive, CPU, or RAM in these Macs. If a hard drive fails, you will have to buy a completely new Mac to replace it. Had we been using the old Dells, we could have replaced them with with one of the many working hard drives in our storage room. We've been using these Dells for easily over 6 years and in the past 4, we've only tossed out a good 3-4 of them because some jerk decided it was a good idea to take a hammer to the case. In the 1 year these Macs have been at our school, one has already died and had to be replaced.

And Afrobean, despite the fact that Vista may be a little more taxing on your system's resources, it wouldn't matter if you have an up to date machine. Your typical user won't use all the system resources a computer has to offer with XP, so they shouldn't have a problem running programs like Microsoft Word or Firefox whether or not it's on XP or Vista.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #28
MrMagic5239
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrMagic5239 Send a message via MSN to MrMagic5239

I wish I would of been apart of the windows "mojave" experiment. I would of bashed the computer and ended its dieing cause of vista.
Arme (Mage/Alchemist/Warlock/Battle Mage) Lvl 80/80 MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ronan (Spell Knight/Dragon Knight/Aegis Knight/Abyss Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Lass (Thief/Assassin/Dark Assassin/Striper) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4, EXP Rank 1
Ryan (Druid/Sentinel/Viken/Xenocider) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Amy (Dancer/Musician/Siren/Superstar) Lvl 78/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 13
Sieghart (Gladiator/Warlord/Duelist/Prime Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Jin (Fighter/Shisa/Asura/Rama) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
Zero (Seeker/Wanderer) Lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 9
Dio (Stygian/Drakar//Leviathan) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Rin (Caller) Lvl 77/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 32
Rufus (Bounty Hunter/Killer/Ravager/Arbiter) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ley (Summoner/Harbringer) lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 21
Asin (Desciple) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1 (Eastern Rain Liquid Jade aquired)
MrMagic5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #29
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
I wish I would of been apart of the windows "mojave" experiment. I would of bashed the computer and ended its dieing cause of vista.
This sentence hurts to read.

Three mistakes (one repeated twice), and all of them are mentioned here:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=18770
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #30
MrMagic5239
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrMagic5239 Send a message via MSN to MrMagic5239

Quote:
This sentence hurts to read.

Three mistakes (one repeated twice), and all of them are mentioned here:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=18770
I was making a joke rofl.

I haven't externally seen anything wrong with vista, but im sure if I used my OS knowledge and hardware/software knowledge I could find a few things that would make certain things not function to the highest extent. In all honosty, I don't see a huge deal with vista, besides its flash lag.

I also don't care much about grammar. If I cared, I wouldn't make retarded mistakes that make human eyes bleed. If needed, Ill use it to make you, and other forum mods happy
Arme (Mage/Alchemist/Warlock/Battle Mage) Lvl 80/80 MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ronan (Spell Knight/Dragon Knight/Aegis Knight/Abyss Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Lass (Thief/Assassin/Dark Assassin/Striper) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4, EXP Rank 1
Ryan (Druid/Sentinel/Viken/Xenocider) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Amy (Dancer/Musician/Siren/Superstar) Lvl 78/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 13
Sieghart (Gladiator/Warlord/Duelist/Prime Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Jin (Fighter/Shisa/Asura/Rama) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
Zero (Seeker/Wanderer) Lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 9
Dio (Stygian/Drakar//Leviathan) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Rin (Caller) Lvl 77/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 32
Rufus (Bounty Hunter/Killer/Ravager/Arbiter) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ley (Summoner/Harbringer) lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 21
Asin (Desciple) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1 (Eastern Rain Liquid Jade aquired)

Last edited by MrMagic5239; 10-26-2008 at 12:30 AM..
MrMagic5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #31
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

Location: It's grossly inappropriate and borderline bannable. --Guido
Send a message via AIM to -zeroSKILL-

omfg... Brian. My eyes! D:

You bast*rd! Why must you rape poor English? What did he ever do to you besides give you a means to communicate with others?

And yet... you shamelessly, and admittedly bend him over and--

Better than pr0n. Except it makes me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddychuck@yahoo.com View Post
God is a ******. Go away Jesus freak and read the bible --->
-zeroSKILL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #32
Wilkin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Wilkin

Desktops are generally dirt cheap compared to laptops, which is awesome when I have no real need for a laptop.

One feature I do like on Macs though is the ability to zoom in on the screen, which is helpful for when I'm wasting time by playing games in the music library's computer labs. I don't know how I could access that feature on Windows/if it even exists, but the widescreen Macs make it ridiculously simple.
╚═╝ ║lll║ ║

OH LOOK NOW THE REST OF MY MUSIC IS NOW VISIBLE HOW COINCIDENTAL IS THAT
Wilkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #33
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
I was making a joke rofl.
Squeek was pointing out your terrible language skills, not your general stupidity. Saying "I was only kidding" might justify a stupid statement, but it does not justify terrible language skills.

Quote:
I haven't externally seen anything wrong with vista, but im sure if I used my OS knowledge and hardware/software knowledge I could find a few things that would make certain things not function to the highest extent. In all honosty, I don't see a huge deal with vista, besides its flash lag.
Vista does not have an inherent "flash lag". It is just more likely to load slowly because Vista uses more resources overall.

And this goes back to what I was saying before. I don't really care if the software I use would be able run fine on Vista. I don't like the fundamental idea of resources being wasted, even if I have resources to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkin
One feature I do like on Macs though is the ability to zoom in on the screen, which is helpful for when I'm wasting time by playing games in the music library's computer labs. I don't know how I could access that feature on Windows/if it even exists, but the widescreen Macs make it ridiculously simple.
Windows XP has a feature like that in the utility manager (windows key + U). But it's pixelated expansion, so it looks dumb. Why would you want that anyway?

Oh and Vista probably has a feature like that too. But again, I have no clue how to access it, thus further proving my previous stance as the best one for me. XP works well for me and I am more than competent with it. Vista may work well, but I see it's "improvements" as mere resource wastes, and I have to relearn a large portion of the UI.

ps I also don't like the look and feel of Vista either, so there. It feels like it's software designed to mimic a OS rather than a true OS. It's weird. It kinda bugs me that I seem to be the only one to feel this way about it though.
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #34
Wilkin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Wilkin

You remind me of the good ol' times with Windows RG
╚═╝ ║lll║ ║

OH LOOK NOW THE REST OF MY MUSIC IS NOW VISIBLE HOW COINCIDENTAL IS THAT
Wilkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #35
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Raine View Post
Well I've had my vista for about a year and I've had no problems so far. Still don't know what's the bitching about. :/
My mom's had vista for a little while and I've played AIM on it once, I had no problems. I still dislike vista but I see no problems with it as of now.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #36
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
What is this knowledge and why are you trying to type something in flash for you custom title? I doubt you know anything about the way OS's work. If so please tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
And this goes back to what I was saying before. I don't really care if the software I use would be able run fine on Vista. I don't like the fundamental idea of resources being wasted, even if I have resources to spare.
Every time you upgrade and OS it's going to use more resources, if you don't like it run your computer with command line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
ps I also don't like the look and feel of Vista either, so there. It feels like it's software designed to mimic a OS rather than a true OS. It's weird. It kinda bugs me that I seem to be the only one to feel this way about it though.
You're just used to XP. Stop being a fanboy, all upgrades of OS's look similar to the last one.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #37
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Every time you upgrade and OS it's going to use more resources, if you don't like it run your computer with command line.
A balance needs to be struck between useability, functionality, and style. Switching from XP to vista would decrease the usability and functionality for me, while increasing the style in a way that I really don't care for. Command line has minimal usability, minimal functionality (except in the case of unique features), and the only style it has is retro.

Quote:
You're just used to XP.
Hold on. Am I not allowed to want what I know and am familiar with?

"Hey, you're not allowed to use that just because you know it better and it has no compatibility issues with software! Switch to that product's successor immediately for no good reason other than that it exists!"

Quote:
Stop being a fanboy, all upgrades of OS's look similar to the last one.
You have no idea. The look and feel of Vista is a major shift from XP. XP was a bit of a change from the general look that 95~2000 shared, but the look and feel was more of an improvement in appearance rather than a shift to another style. Vista is a shift to another style. I do not like this new style.

And even if I were a fanboy, my stance is a valid one. XP works fine for me, looks fine for me, and is compatible with more software. What reason do I have to switch to Vista and force myself to relearn the system? I don't like the way it looks, I have to put effort into learning how and where things are, and there are software compatibility issues. Please, what do I have to gain from switching to Vista?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
fido123
FFR Player

What if I've been using 95 all my life and I'm most comfortable with it...should I still use it even though it's grossly obsolete? Also Vista has the SAME layout as XP, it just looks different, should that really matter? I think it looks better and if anything you probably just like the way XP looks better because you're used to it.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #39
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
What if I've been using 95 all my life and I'm most comfortable with it...
Windows 95 is not compatible with the software I use, nor the majority of software on the market.

Vista is not entirely compatible with some of the software I use.

Quote:
Also Vista has the SAME layout as XP, it just looks different, should that really matter?
Settings and things are in different locations. During the time when I had Vista on this computer after I first got it, I had more than a little trouble doing things with it.

Quote:
I think it looks better and if anything you probably just like the way XP looks better because you're used to it.
Looks are only a part of it. Functionality and usability make up the rest of it.

Also notice that just because YOU think it looks better, does not mean that I have to switch my system.

But your only reason you voiced for why to switch to another operating system is if it's "grossly obsolete", and frankly, XP is not at all.