Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-4-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Telliath
What Color's My Bum?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Telliath Send a message via Yahoo to Telliath
Default Meltdown - DnB Anyone?

Well, I was kind of mad that Reason 4 wasn't working on my comp. But I was extremely happy with the results I was getting from the new VST I got, Nexus. It's amazing. I got this one sound in it... God I love it!

This is the song I decided to make with it.
Hope you all like it.

Meltdown - [DnB][Tell]
Telliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.
Default Re: Meltdown - DnB Anyone?

the drums are really watered down,

try to get some deeper sounds.

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Telliath
What Color's My Bum?
FFR Veteran

What does that even mean!? Watered down?
Old 08-4-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Cyanite
SIT THE **** DOWN.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Cyanite

The kick is very muddy and the snare is pretty boring. The one hi-hat sample you used sounds okay, but it could have been varied a bit more. Same with the lead synth, the song doesn't really go anywhere, it just sounds like an improvisation with one synth. It sounds good, but it'd be nice to hear something new come in later in the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
oh yeah girls love it when I stick my massive arm in their mouth
Cyanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Telliath
What Color's My Bum?
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanite View Post
The kick is very muddy and the snare is pretty boring. The one hi-hat sample you used sounds okay, but it could have been varied a bit more. Same with the lead synth, the song doesn't really go anywhere, it just sounds like an improvisation with one synth. It sounds good, but it'd be nice to hear something new come in later in the song.
Umm.. alright Effects. I forgot to do that. It's still raw.
Old 08-5-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

You should send me that VsT i couls use it.
winkwink
also verynice song i really enjoyed it.
I liked the high pitched sounds and whatnot.
i rated it a 5.

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
DarkbearX
Shimose
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans0n View Post
You should send me that VsT i couls use it.
winkwink
Why do pepole hint that they're stealing software on here? I see it all the time... It's like people want other people to know that they condone / are stealing expensive useful ware that the devs spend diligent time on making, it's ridiculous.

Anyway...

I don't really consider this DnB, this is like techno/IDM or something... I dunno, Not DnB though.

The lead sounds okay, it could use some layering and possibly could be lowered though. I agree that the kick is horrible; no punch at all; make a sharp eq spike around 150hz to give it more feel. The snare is too dominant, probably turn it down.

Also, 4th beat in the 4th measure of the lead's melody, it's off and it's annoying. ;_; And like LiquidEcstasy on NG said, needs moar reese!

Anyway, I actually like the bassline, melody, and arrangement a lot, I just feel a few minor tweaks and a bit more texture would do this song some good, Great job man!
DarkbearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
l Endorphin l
Maybe
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

<----Knows all.

Yeah, I agree with myself....Moar reese.
Moar layering.
l Endorphin l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Telliath
What Color's My Bum?
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkbearX View Post
Why do pepole hint that they're stealing software on here? I see it all the time... It's like people want other people to know that they condone / are stealing expensive useful ware that the devs spend diligent time on making, it's ridiculous.

Anyway...

I don't really consider this DnB, this is like techno/IDM or something... I dunno, Not DnB though.
First. Not to be hostile. I just don't find the whole thing about accusing people to have stolen software a problem. People do what they want.

Second. It's not even close to IDM. Aphex Twins and Venetian Snares are IDM this... Not even close. If you don't call it DnB, it would go under breakbeat if anything oO
Old 08-7-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Well, while using a reese bass would make this sound more DnB-ish, keep in mind all DnB doesn't necessarily have to follow that rule. Basically if you don't think a reese bass will fit in the song, just find some other synth that will tie the song together.
Thats kind of the main problem here, you just need a synth that ties this song together.
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
danny53x
AKA Yotipo
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to danny53x

Isn't dnb/IDM usually a faster tempo than this? Anyway, I posted a review... didn't really get too deep because the song wasn't long.
Old 08-7-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Hydlide
FFR Player

Hopefully you can take a little bit of critism. Please don't see my post a 'just critisism'. I will build up my points and maybe it might help you, or it might not. I have been listening to your track 4 times right now (listened to them on different time phrases so there is a gap in between so I listen to it differently).

First thing that I realise is that the overal drum track is not getting it... Some say it is muddy in this thread, others say it is boring, or they don't like the snare. Here's what I personally think the problem lies within. When I listen to the track it starts really nice, after listening to it for one minute I am getting close to the point to press the stop button. Actually in a way I was kind of 'glad' that the track actually stopped after 2 minutes. Why is this you might ask your self? First of all, drum and bass isn't just only about 'hey I can place a sequence with a bass drum, snare and a hihat'. If that would be the case, we would have 1 million 15 year old kids dominating us. It is about the surprising factor, yet while it is still surprising even while being monotomic it even surprises us.

how fague... but yet, thats where drum and bass gets most the power from... not from the 'Reese effect'. Saw, detune it to the max... how many times have we have heard that. Reese isn't the problem here, its the diversity in the wide range of the sound spectrum. The lead is nice, I would keep that for the first part. But also mentioned in another post, do something differently. I think parking in some other synth (especially inside the empty part inbetween) should maybe keep people be able to keep the people listen to it. Cause around 1.06 orso (where you play the solo drums) it just simply starts to get boring...

And what even makes it to become more boring in a way, is that you are using the exact same sound that we already started to hear in the first part. I know a genre that fits very well in that category, and its called techno either trance... However with D and B, the trick lies just into using the same amount of instrument but adjust them just a tiny little bit to make them sound a little bit differently. Even better yet, at just a 1/4 pattern, totally shift the complete lead to something totally differently (eg: just distort it.. or drop in some feedback... just to drop something here). You already got that trick right with the 'speed up' method. But I would also for instance change the shape left and right. Phase it, filter it, distort it.. you name it...

Another thing I have noticed, and thats also being posted inside one of these comments: it lacks bass... I have a feeling that most of the power of this production just lies inside the high end of the music spectrum (probably around 4khz and above that) and it just takes over the rest of the complete tune. While drum and bass has the tention to focus on the low end as well (hence the term muddy). Its kind of like the main lead and the snare take over the basses.

I would definitily drop something low in this production left and right (not all the time, shouldnt be nescesarry). But it just adds something to the complete production when you would just drop in a 'bwwwwwwrrrrrr' effect in the song from time to time just to spice things up. Since my subwoover aint just jumping up and down too much with this production (just to put it in a different perspective).

As this post might sound like a 'you suck' post, please.. this is not my intention. I only post this to point out the pointers I have found while listening to this production. It might sound like totally negative, while its not ment to be. The sound you produce inside the lead just sounds more then ok to me. Keep that, I would only tweak the drum a bit and maybe focus on some surrounding effects. Because at this point it just sounds like "hey, I can create a drum, and a snare, and a hihat and a bass sound and a lead... and I have a track".

Even another tip here. I assume you wrote this track in a day... (wouldnt be a surprise to me). In most cases when I do one day tracking (eg: making a song in one day) I have gotten to a point that I even make a 'start' of a track (eg: around 2 till 3 minutes) and drop it... listen to it the next day again while not touching anything. Come back the next day and listen to it again. My usual thought is that I always think twice about my own production after day 2! Its like the 'vibe' has changed and all of a sudden I look different to a track. Maybe that approach might also work for you, since it has paid of for me aswell. In a way.

Ok, long post... I know, I cant type small.. I have verbal diarrhea...
Maybe this might be helpfull... or maybe not...
Hydlide is offline   Reply With Quote