Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to powerdown
Default Computer Spec Question

Sup guys. I recently purchased a new computer, and while waiting for it arrive, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on games I should get. I was kind of looking at Crysis, just for the sake of being able to run it. But before I go out and buy it, would I even be able to run it?

Specs are as follows:
Intel Core 2 Dual 2.16 GHz
Dual 512MB Nvidia GeForce 7950 GTX (SLI Enabled)
2 GB RAM
120GB 5,200 RPM HDD

I left out some of the less important parts, but if anyone needs anymore info, just ask.

RULES FOR PROPER THREAD MAKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
1. before you make a thread... think to yourself... "will i sound like a complete idiot if i make this thread?" "will i get flamed out the ass if i make this thread?" "am i doing nothing but whining about something i'm getting for free and not supporting myself?" if you answer yes to any of those questions, don't post the thread.

2. if the thread has ANYTHING to do with tokens, skill tokens, sotw, or difficulty of songs... do not post it. under any circumstance. why? because you already violated rule #1, i'm sure.

Last edited by powerdown; 03-23-2008 at 09:28 PM..
powerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
I_like_keys
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to I_like_keys
Default Re: Computer Spec Question

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com
I_like_keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

That only helps when the computer you are using has said specs. This one doesnt. So...

Quote:
1. before you make a thread... think to yourself... "will i sound like a complete idiot if i make this thread?" "will i get flamed out the ass if i make this thread?" "am i doing nothing but whining about something i'm getting for free and not supporting myself?" if you answer yes to any of those questions, don't post the thread.

2. if the thread has ANYTHING to do with tokens, skill tokens, sotw, or difficulty of songs... do not post it. under any circumstance. why? because you already violated rule #1, i'm sure.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Yeah posting random links in threads that are asking for help don't help at all.

GeForce 7950GTX + 2 Gigs of RAM = Nice. Should allow you to play most anything without to much trouble. I have never played Crysis so I don't know how it runs... but the game developer may have a website you can check out that may have the game specs.

As for other games, Company of Heroes is pretty awesome, and it looks freaking awesome on high res machines.

Last edited by Sullyman2007; 01-28-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Recommended System Requirements
OS - Windows XP / Vista
Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

As far as my limited knowledge of this mumbojumbo is (this is my first gaming rig), Dual 512s = 1 GB of Graphics Mem, and if thats spec for a 640 MB GPU, I should (stressing this immensely) be okay....I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or even better, correct me and explain this all.

Quote:

Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Well, it depends on what operating system you are using.

I'm not even sure if Crysis works for XP, but without the usage of DX10 on Vista, it definitely won't look as good.

Which brings up the question, I'm pretty sure the 7950's aren't DX10 ready. I have the 8800GTS, and I think that was the first generation with that capability. While you definitely have enough video memory to run it, I'm not sure if you will be able to.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Oh wait, is Crysis one of those new "Games for Windows" games? If so than yeah, what Tps said..
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
xinpig
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to xinpig Send a message via Skype™ to xinpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdown View Post
Recommended System Requirements
OS - Windows XP / Vista
Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

As far as my limited knowledge of this mumbojumbo is (this is my first gaming rig), Dual 512s = 1 GB of Graphics Mem, and if thats spec for a 640 MB GPU, I should (stressing this immensely) be okay....I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or even better, correct me and explain this all.
crysis minimum

Windows XP/Vista; Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista); 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista) of RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista); 256MB VRAM; 12GB free hard drive space; DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card; DirectX 9.0c or DirectX 10Details[4]

you:
2 GB RAM
120GB 5,200 RPM HDD

you need to OC that processor

My PC
AMD 6000+ 3.0 ghz
8800GT 512 MB Extreme @ 660 mhz
4GB PC2 6400 800mhz 4-5-4-11
2X 150GB Raptor 10k HD Raid 0

PSEUDO SKILL TOKENS! FC'd Blooddrunk with AVMISSING!
xinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
xinpig
FFR Player

i want to get a second 8800GT later lol pwnage

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinpig View Post
crysis minimum

Windows XP/Vista; Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista); 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista) of RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista); 256MB VRAM; 12GB free hard drive space; DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card; DirectX 9.0c or DirectX 10Details[4]

you:
2 GB RAM
120GB 5,200 RPM HDD
Thats Pentium 4. Dual Core is exactly what it says. Twin Processors able to run at the same GHz simulatneously. In essence, having a 2.16 GHz dual core is like having a 4.38 GHz+ processor.

As for TPS, I'm aware its "optimized" for DX10 and Vista, but truth be told, I hate Vista. So I dont get some pretty shaders, and some textures dont look as pretty as they should. Fact of the matter is, given my Video Memory, I should be able to run it at more than minimum specs (I just wont be able to run it on VH settings, cause a lot of what it changes is DX10 only, which I'm okay with. Hell, if I could run it on Med I'd be happy.) EDIT: In case you didnt gather it already, I'm running XP Pro, and yes, Crysis can run on DX9

Quote:

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

Anyone know if the 8800 GT SC is DX10 ready ;s.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Most of the 8000 series is DX10 ready. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 8000 series was the first to be DX10 ready.

Quote:

Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
xinpig
FFR Player

as far as CPU speeds go, dual core 3.0 GHZ means that each core is running at 1.5 GHZ not that the whole setup is running at 3.0 GHZ

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Seinken
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinpig View Post
i want to get a second 8800GT later lol pwnage

Quote:
as far as CPU speeds go, dual core 3.0 GHZ means that each core is running at 1.5 GHZ not that the whole setup is running at 3.0 GHZ
First, your processor is DEFINATELY holding you back far more than your graphics card is.

Second, that is just blatantly wrong. Dual cores and quad cores alike run at the frequency it's rated at. You cannot add core frequencies and claim it to be 3ghz, that'd be a scam by the processor companies.

I can't find any programs that'll tell you that to prove you wrong absolutely, but if it's a true dual/quad core there are 2/4 physical CPU's running at the advertised speed. Nothing less.

Third about the OP's rig, Crysis will demolish it. Expect frames in the 30's pretty much constantly.

VCs SMARTASS
Seinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
Well, it depends on what operating system you are using.

I'm not even sure if Crysis works for XP, but without the usage of DX10 on Vista, it definitely won't look as good.

Which brings up the question, I'm pretty sure the 7950's aren't DX10 ready. I have the 8800GTS, and I think that was the first generation with that capability. While you definitely have enough video memory to run it, I'm not sure if you will be able to.
I run Crysis on high settings on XP. Looks awesome. The difference between Vista super high mode is barely noticeable, actually.

Quote:
Thats Pentium 4. Dual Core is exactly what it says. Twin Processors able to run at the same GHz simulatneously. In essence, having a 2.16 GHz dual core is like having a 4.38 GHz+ processor.
The cores do run at the specified frequency. However, it's not the same as a 4.38 GHz processor. A duel 2.16 only runs about as fast as a 3.2 single core when you're gaming, but it can be different with other things (gains can be exponentially larger when adding cores when running say, a chess engine). Their performance can be hard to compare directly, for a couple reasons, so you can't simply say 2x 2.16 = 4.32. The Hz might be equivalent but the performance isn't.

Anyway, your pc should be able to run most games just fine. It looks like it'll run Crysis. I've run it on high quality on a pc of similar specs with very little lag.

Last edited by Reach; 03-25-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I got around to my friend's house yesterday and went to the link that was posted in the thread. His comps specs are lower than mine, but upon doing the test, according to that (which I'm trusting, conisdering its run by Nvidia) he was able to run just inbetween minimum and recomended specs for Crysis. *shrug* I'll probably get it, and if I cant run it, oh well. I'm sure I can find a good home for it.

Quote:

Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
Seinken
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
The cores do run at the specified frequency. However, it's not the same as a 4.38 GHz processor. A duel 2.16 only runs about as fast as a 3.2 single core when you're gaming, but it can be different with other things (gains can be exponentially larger when adding cores when running say, a chess engine). Their performance can be hard to compare directly, for a couple reasons, so you can't simply say 2x 2.16 = 4.32. The Hz might be equivalent but the performance isn't.
Basically this is all true, also only games programmed to take advantage of multi cores will operate any faster.

Most games are still aimed at a single core audience and you get almost no benefit from running multi cores (outside of being able to do more things at once.) Most of the people running dual/quad cores are doing things like Folding or some form of graphics processing.

VCs SMARTASS
Seinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #18
PhunnyJesta
FFR Player

good luck on playing max graphics....its impossible as of now, for a decent frame rate anways. an intel core 2 duo 3.2GHz (OC'ed) with 4GB ram and 2 ATI Radeon HD 3870s (they are even better then Nvidia's 8800 crap, or even the new 9800s) can only get about 30fps on max graphics with uhh not quite sure the resolution but it was bigger then my computer resolution (1680x1050). For a crysis computer you most def want an intel core 2 duo better then any AMD processor. trust me, i have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Black Edition and a low end intel core 2 duo is about 10% faster then it....remember LOW END core 2 duo. 2-4gb of DDR2 800 or 1066 RAM will do. and of course 2 ATI Radeon HD 3870's.

my computer specs, AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Black Edition (3.2GHz), 2x1 GB DDR2 800 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3870, 500GB SATA 3GB/S and a 650W Corsair Power Supply to power it all up. I built it myself for about meh 800 bucks

*edit* if you have an extra 1,000+ bucks on you, you can always get the intel core 2 extreme which is a quad core processor. Crysis supports 3 cores and the core 2 extreme can be overclocked to 4Ghz (highest i ever seen) which means 12GHz while playing crysis....

Last edited by PhunnyJesta; 03-30-2008 at 12:53 AM..
PhunnyJesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
xinpig
FFR Player

i have:
E8400 @3.00GHZ OC'able to 3.6GHZ on stock cooler
3.0GB 800mhz ram
500GB HD
8800GT 512MB

i think people are ... when they say but its a 3.0GHZ quad so it runs at 12GHZ total. that is hardly the case.

Last edited by xinpig; 04-10-2008 at 02:38 PM..