HyPE EnLiTe Z
FFR Player

Default Re: MLG

add my gt if you want to play HyPE EnLiTe Z
HyPE EnLiTe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPE EnLiTe Z View Post
add my gt if you want to play HyPE EnLiTe Z
I play Brawl now man. I don't feel like getting back into the H3 groove.
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPolk View Post
I disrespect MLG, I think it's filled with a bunch of wannabe gamer kids who have a hard time doing anything productive with their time.
Just a bit sterotypical, eh?
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr View Post
I play Brawl now man. I don't feel like getting back into the H3 groove.
Cod4/SSBB pl0x
Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
x6tence
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to x6tence Send a message via Yahoo to x6tence

the only thing in MLG i care about is Super Smash Bros. forget halo...
x6tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #26
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post
Just a bit sterotypical, eh?
In what regard?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #27
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Korny except your friend request on brawl
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #28
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

Quote:
I have a 4.0 as a junior in Aerospace Engineering. I'm the Saber Captain of my fencing team. My Java teacher in high school kept most of my programs as examples for the following year's students. Those things seem pretty good to me.

And seriously? You want me to go on the site and just look up bad players? I'm sure I could just sort teams by their rank and just copy/paste names from the bottom of the list if you really wanted me to.
QFE.

JKPolk just basically owned this thread. xD
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #29
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

Apparently I offended whoever the toolbox is that uses the screenname izldude77714.
**** yourself. I can't stress this enough. Go **** yourself with a stick until you die. I said NOTHING against anyone or their family in this thread, and the first thing you do is IM me and take a shot at MY family. That's just wrong. Don't take **** off the boards to insult me specifically.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #30
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Quote:
In what regard?
Good chance not everyone in the MLG is like that, ya know? If someone wanted their hobby of video games to be more the MLG is the best place to go for that.

Sort of the same way with M:tG I guess... except most that play Magic aren't considered jerks.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #31
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr View Post
4.0...fencing...programming. Original
I would rather be a kick ass sword fighting programer in real life than a fake ass online sword fighter, to be completely honest.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #32
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

What about a kickass sword fighting programmer that makes fake swords?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

I'm a gamer. I love video games. I probably spend more of my free time on video games than anything else. But I still think MLG is a joke.

To me, video games are just for fun. Once I don't find a game fun anymore, I drop it and move to the next. So why would I play them a ridiculous amount past the point where I'm actually enjoying them just so I can minimize the pool of people I'm better than from a few hundred to tens? Sure, I could be the best in the world at Generic Shooter 7, but why bother when the process is mindnumbingly dull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr
Ignore the people who disrespect MLG. They probably aren't good at anything.
I'd rather spend my time getting good at things that are entertaining the whole way through, and pay me back. Things like writing, where when I've spent thousands of hours at it, I'll have reams of poetry and prose. That is an accomplishment. That is worth much more than a shoddy salary. And furthermore, that's not a complete waste of time.

Also, the average intelligence of an MLG gamer is evident in this thread.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

Last edited by Tokzic; 03-18-2008 at 11:26 AM..
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #34
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
To me, video games are just for fun. Once I don't find a game fun anymore, I drop it and move to the next. So why would I play them a ridiculous amount past the point where I'm actually enjoying them just so I can minimize the pool of people I'm better than from a few hundred to tens? Sure, I could be the best in the world at Generic Shooter 7, but why bother when the process is mindnumbingly dull?
Let me point something out here because I think this is a distinction that has to be made.

I would wager that most MLG players -don't- find the process mind-numbingly dull. All the practice they go through is most likely seen as actual fun, rather than tedious effort. They continue to enjoy the games even when doing things others would find very boring--that's why they're part of MLG in the first place: they enjoy the game enough to actually LIKE all the amount of time they put in.

The image seems to be that MLG is where people who see the game as work, as a chore, come and compete, but that doesn't seem to be the reality. Maybe for a number of those people who will try it out, hoping they can get somewhere, but loathing every minute of it just trying to reach recognition, but these are most certainly not the only people in MLG.

You can argue, of course, whether it's sane or healthy to enjoy a game as much as some of these MLG people do, but to say that the MLG players don't enjoy the game they're playing...that's just a bit ridiculous. They wouldn't be playing if they didn't find it fun.

(Note, I'm not an MLG player and I disagree with the image it gives. Simply by its name, it suggests that people can live professionally off of competitive gaming alone, which is VERY VERY difficult, if impossible. However, as a hub for highly competitive gamers to meet and play each other, all while having fun, I most certainly respect it.)
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relambrien View Post
You can argue, of course, whether it's sane or healthy to enjoy a game as much as some of these MLG people do, but to say that the MLG players don't enjoy the game they're playing...that's just a bit ridiculous. They wouldn't be playing if they didn't find it fun.
That's not ridiculous at all. That's like saying "Oh, people who lift weights wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it, they must be having fun!"

The only people who would find it fun playing a single game to get salary-paying good are complete simpletons (e.g.: the OP).

Otherwise, no, they aren't having fun. They're working. Kind of like weight training, or dieting - they aren't there for the process, they're there for the result.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #36
hoochan
woah shrooms
FFR Veteran

Hell, I wouldn't mind getting paid for playing a video game but I would never work towards it. Also, I doubt that many people who work towards being in MLG ever make it because the process of getting good at a video game is long and frustrating. Someone who doesn't enjoy a video game for its entertainment value will quickly lose interest.

Also, I still find Halo 3 fun, but in aspects of skill and competitiveness, it falls way too short. They basically made it so that there can't be an extremely huge skill gap between people. The best people in H3, I can guarantee you, cannot beat me 15-0 in a 1 v 1. In Halo 2, however, I'm am 100% sure that they could go for about 25-30 kills before they get bored, let their guard down, and then I manage to kill them.

Also, some of the best MLG H2 players do not even play H2 that much.

Example: Walshy (google him if you don't know who he is)
hoochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #37
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
That's not ridiculous at all. That's like saying "Oh, people who lift weights wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it, they must be having fun!"

The only people who would find it fun playing a single game to get salary-paying good are complete simpletons (e.g.: the OP).

Otherwise, no, they aren't having fun. They're working. Kind of like weight training, or dieting - they aren't there for the process, they're there for the result.
I don't know what you're getting at with the weight-lifter analogy. Maybe your experience is different, but everyone -I- know that lifts weights does enjoy it.

And yet some people enjoy the process of working for the result. That's the point I was getting at. It's the reason you see people on WoW all the time--they're always working toward that 70, or that epic gear, or whatever, but they like it. That's the reason I quit WoW. I didn't like the grinding, so I stopped. Others do like the grinding.

Another MMO, Guild Wars, shows what happens when you remove grinding. A lot of people were originally turned off by the game, because it has a low level cap of 20. They felt that they couldn't enjoy working toward anything, that once they got 20, they would be finished. (As it turns out, the game is just almost entirely max-level content, just requiring greater player skill the farther you go, but that's not really relevant to the point)

Speaking of the point, it's that the process of working to achieve something, whether it be level 70, a complete comic book collection, or a ranking on an online ladder, is what gives some people entertainment. That's how the game is fun for them. If there's nothing to work towards, the game becomes boring.

You say that MLG is where people play grudgingly hours on end just to achieve ranking, without having any real fun, but it's because of MLG that these people -can- have fun. Without it, there'd be nothing to work for in their games, and they'd be bored of them. For them, it's the goal that makes the game fun.

I can sort of sympathize. I can't play things like WarioWare or Cooking Mama or Wii Sports or anything without being bored, because there's just no overarching goal to the games. I like RPGs, platformers, and stuff like that because of the goal. It may sound strange, but it's the destination that makes the journey fun.

Actually, to further that analogy. There's that saying, it has a bunch of different forms, but it basically says that destination is only half the fun, the travel is the rest (in this case referring to a vacation or something). Well, it's the destination that -makes- the travel fun. Just wandering around with no real clear intent on where to go or what to do is boring. But going somewhere, a specific place, gives meaning to the travel and makes the travel fun.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #38
x6tence
FFR Player

so what games does the MLG support again?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #39
Tokzic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6tence View Post
so what games does the MLG support again?
most people play http://www.google.ca/ but then i hear some people prefer http://www.yahoo.com/

Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #40
x6tence
FFR Player

Quote:
most people play http://www.google.ca/ but then i hear some people prefer http://www.yahoo.com/
thanks