Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-4-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan
Default Hell's Foundry has been remastered...

...the cheap way, anyway. I simply converted it to a .wav, put it in a mixer track, and cranked both the volume of the track, the sequencer, and the FL volume control. So far, I have no major EQ problems unless you're blaring it to the point that it becomes unhealthy. Personally, I think that it sounds much better than the original.

http://media.putfile.com/Hells-Foundry-remastered

Tell me what you guys think.

purebloodtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Default Re: Hell's Foundry has been remastered...

Meh, it clips in one or two places, but I can just pretend like that's part of the song. It really doesn't sound all that out of place.

Old 02-4-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Erothyme
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Erothyme Send a message via MSN to Erothyme Send a message via Skype™ to Erothyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebloodtexan View Post
Meh, it clips in one or two places, but I can just pretend like that's part of the song. It really doesn't sound all that out of place.
What fantastic production values!
Erothyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erothyme View Post
What fantastic production values!
Then remaster my song until every single frequency in there is perfect. Do this in about 20 minutes.

Old 02-4-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Erothyme
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Erothyme Send a message via MSN to Erothyme Send a message via Skype™ to Erothyme

Quote:
Then remaster my song until every single frequency in there is perfect. Do this in about 20 minutes.
Why would I remaster your song? Also, why the hell would I be limited to 20 minutes?

Furthermore, since when does every frequency have to be "perfect" in order to avoid clipping?
Old 02-5-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

It's usually too many decibels in the low frequencies (in otherwords, your kick and bassline) that cause clipping, but adjusting any frequency in general can prevent clipping.

Also, I forgot how look it took to remaster my song, but it certainly did take less than 20 minutes.

Old 02-5-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Magic_V2
RobMagic
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Magic_V2

Haha what the hell is up with that ending?
Good job on the remastering (for the way you did it) & catchy song.

Last edited by Magic_V2; 02-5-2008 at 08:23 AM..
Magic_V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
bluguerrilla
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bluguerrilla

I dunno... The song feels like it's actually 3 songs that have been squished together.

You could have done a ton more with that scream track, chopping them up and rearranging to lengthen that 'devilish' intro part.

The second part is just to 'hopeful' next to the screaming, needed more in between, if you know what I mean.

It sounded pretty good and the ending was okay (you could have changed up the piano a bit) until the noise (that felt out of place).
Old 02-5-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Erothyme
FFR Player

Quote:
It's usually too many decibels in the low frequencies (in otherwords, your kick and bassline) that cause clipping, but adjusting any frequency in general can prevent clipping.
I restate my question: since when does this mean that not clipping is synonymous with perfection? There's a lot more to it than that. Not clipping is basic.

Quote:
Also, I forgot how look it took to remaster my song, but it certainly did take less than 20 minutes.
If that's all it took, you're doing it wrong.
Old 02-5-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erothyme View Post
I restate my question: since when does this mean that not clipping is synonymous with perfection? There's a lot more to it than that. Not clipping is basic.

If that's all it took, you're doing it wrong.
If you're stabbing at my production values, I'm telling you to do it even better without completely trashing the original.

Also, as long as it sounds fine, there really is no "wrong" way to remaster a song.

Meh, the slight clipping even makes somewhat of an "extra instrument."

Old 02-5-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
nubbin149
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Mastering is really really involved .. part of it happens when you're making the track. Setting levels and manipulating frequencies. Then post mastering comes in.
The problem with mastering post production is there is some things you just can't fix. For instance if your Bass has high frequencies that are pushing the high frequencies of your other instruments out you can't really do much with it in post. That's why it's really important to check levels and what not as you're producing.

A good trick in reason is to load up each instrument in a combinator and attach an equalizer to it. That way you can effect frequencies of each individual instrument.

also do some A+Bing of your tracks. (Compare them in a spectrum analyzer next to a professionally produced track )

nubbin149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin149 View Post
Mastering is really really involved .. part of it happens when you're making the track. Setting levels and manipulating frequencies. Then post mastering comes in.
The problem with mastering post production is there is some things you just can't fix. For instance if your Bass has high frequencies that are pushing the high frequencies of your other instruments out you can't really do much with it in post. That's why it's really important to check levels and what not as you're producing.

A good trick in reason is to load up each instrument in a combinator and attach an equalizer to it. That way you can effect frequencies of each individual instrument.

also do some A+Bing of your tracks. (Compare them in a spectrum analyzer next to a professionally produced track )

Don't take this as a snap at you, but I thought that Hell's Foundry sounded just fine except that it just wasn't loud enough.

And I did A+Bing with my own music...but you see how that went. I usually compare them with /DJS\ now. His works are the ones that hit me, really -- my CD transitioned from his songs to mine, and I realized how feeble mine sounded.

And yes, from now one I will master them before I release the song. And I'll see about getting Sytrus and other packs that I use often bought soon so I don't have to delete the .flp after I'm done.

Old 02-6-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Dark Sonic
FFR Player

I thought the intro was pretty good, but the transition into the main theme was a bit rough. Perhaps you could give some kind of an effect to better that transition? (Like a sound effect or something)

Otherwise, I think it's pretty catchy. A bit repetitive, though. My advice for that is to either add instruments to change the sounds of the melody a bit, or make the phrasing shorter. It's really good otherwise, though. =)
Dark Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sonic View Post
I thought the intro was pretty good, but the transition into the main theme was a bit rough. Perhaps you could give some kind of an effect to better that transition? (Like a sound effect or something)

Otherwise, I think it's pretty catchy. A bit repetitive, though. My advice for that is to either add instruments to change the sounds of the melody a bit, or make the phrasing shorter. It's really good otherwise, though. =)
You mean the first musical phrase?

It's not a bite, but the story is that all the machinery shuts down and alarm is set off (if you couldn't hear it).

Old 02-7-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Dark Sonic
FFR Player

Well, I was talking about every phrase in general. lol I don't know, the theme just seems to repeat itself too much in my opinion. But that's just me. Just because a song is repetitious doesn't mean it's bad. =)

Well, since you want to make it seem like machines are shutting down, maybe you should add something along the lines of an exhaust blowing or something like that. Just a thought. =)
Dark Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote