Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24
Default Re: Can you play Play Station 1 games on Play Station 3?

Some games work and others don't. The way that the PS3 reads the disks is different from the other PS systems so the disks don't read right.

As for the 360, I have the Halo trilogy. I can play the first and second with ease on the console but the first one has some serious graphic lag. There are certain things on the new gen consoles that are rediculous as to backward compatibility.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Squeek, emulation isn't easy or simple. It's just impossible to make some games work.
And yet the Wii has full backward compatibility with every Gamecube game ever made.

Sure is hard huh.

Sure costs hundreds of dollars to do it right that's why the Wii is three thousand dollars

Oh god I see the next comment "yeah well wii is just a beefed-up gamecube anyway"

yeah well it isn't. Whole new processor, whole new video card, whole new chipset.

Sony claims the PS3 was expensive because they used hardware emulation in the Emotion Engine, which is essentially putting a PS2 in a PS3. If that were the case, why do some games not work, and why do some games look like ****? And who would pay extra for that ****?

Last edited by Squeek; 01-24-2008 at 10:29 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #23
Aleste
stating the obvious.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aleste Send a message via MSN to Aleste

60gig PS3 has a PS2 chip built in. 80g has software emulation of some kind. Download? not sure how it works, exactly.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
vvav
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Oh, and as you may recall, the differences in emulation of the PS2 games were significant enough that some games looked absolutely horrid on the PS3.
This was fixed in a firmware update almost a year ago. But I do agree with a lot of what you're saying in your other posts. If Sony could make the PS3 have full backwards compatibility with PS1 and 2, I would support it a lot more. As it is, it's just a more expensive 360 with fewer games.
vvav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #25
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

With free BluRay player installed (costs $100 more for the HD Drive for the X-box) and free WiFi card - WiFi adapter costs money for the X-box. And free online service. Which costs money for the X-box.

Still, the Wii is the way to go. People give the X-box too much credit, though.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #26
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
And yet the Wii has full backward compatibility with every Gamecube game ever made.
Cell processor mother****er, it's pretty ****ing hard to rework completely new **** with a completely new setup perfectly.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
pop3tart
FFR Player

Quote:
Yes, Squeek.

Yes.

Have you thought about anything but backwards capability, lately?

Maybe it's the fact that the PS3 is advanced for it's time and you don't want to admit it.

Maybe it's not.

The way I see it, in the future PS2 and PS1 games will not matter. Blu Ray is winning over HDDVD. Take it in, Squeek. Just effing Take. It. In.

X-Box isn't keeping up. It just isn't.

Sony has been ahead of the game even with the PS3 out for a while, now.

Few games? Yes. For now.

Soon there will be many fantastic titles as PS3 exclusives and the public just may change their views a bit.

Some people like Nintendo, so there it is for them. They can get their Wii and be happy. What I don't see sense in is that they come over and bash the PS3 like they were even thinking about getting it in the first place. Come on, people. Just play your Wii and be happy. I don't care.

So, Squeek. Why don't you just go play your X-box and leave Sony alone, eh? I thought by now you'd quit whining about your obsession with backwards-capability.

"You think you're all that and a bag of chips. Well I'm all that and a bag of skittles. So taste the rainbow. . ."

pop3tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #28
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop3tart View Post
The way I see it, in the future PS2 and PS1 games will not matter. Blu Ray is winning over HDDVD.
PS1 games will eventually fade away. PS2 games... NEVER. That's like saying the Halo series will disappear tomorrow.

DVD is winning over both of those, and always will because bluray and hddvd are just dvd's that make people believe they can see better graphics. Also they cost a hell of a lot more money. Ever wonder why the PS3 came out so expensive?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #29
pop3tart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoxin View Post
DVD is winning over both of those, and always will because bluray and hddvd are just dvd's that make people believe they can see better graphics.
Well, for your information. . . Blu Ray DOES have better graphics. And it can store 5x more information than a regular DVD. The whole reason they call it Blu Ray is because of the Blue laser it uses to read information. The wavelength is shoter, which causes more data to be able to be stored. That's why it can hold High Definition video.

PS3 games are Blu Ray discs, which means massive storage. And no, that's not the reason the PS3's are so expensive. Sony doesn't use low-tech materials to put together the consoles. And the hardware they incorporate into the console itself is costly. That's why they lose so much money over every console they sell.

"You think you're all that and a bag of chips. Well I'm all that and a bag of skittles. So taste the rainbow. . ."

Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #30
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop3tart View Post
Yes, Squeek.

Yes.

Have you thought about anything but backwards capability, lately?

Maybe it's the fact that the PS3 is advanced for it's time and you don't want to admit it.

Maybe it's not.

The way I see it, in the future PS2 and PS1 games will not matter. Blu Ray is winning over HDDVD. Take it in, Squeek. Just effing Take. It. In.

X-Box isn't keeping up. It just isn't.

Sony has been ahead of the game even with the PS3 out for a while, now.

Few games? Yes. For now.

Soon there will be many fantastic titles as PS3 exclusives and the public just may change their views a bit.

Some people like Nintendo, so there it is for them. They can get their Wii and be happy. What I don't see sense in is that they come over and bash the PS3 like they were even thinking about getting it in the first place. Come on, people. Just play your Wii and be happy. I don't care.

So, Squeek. Why don't you just go play your X-box and leave Sony alone, eh? I thought by now you'd quit whining about your obsession with backwards-capability.
You know that he doesn't have an Xbox 360. The 360 sure doesn't play every single Xbox game, but now I don't many Xbox 1 games anymore. The Xbox 360 games are dominating the Xbox 1 games enough where people doesn't care about the backward compatibility. So is the Wii. The PS3 still has too little games for this to happen.

Also, the Blu-ray is dominating the movie market right now, so there is an advantage for the PS3. The only downfall is that the games are now more expensive due to the fact that they are in Blu-ray discs themselves. Regardless, the PS3 is still really cheap with all of the extra features, only too expensive for the average consumer to purchase.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #31
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

holy **** oh my god

writing about backward compatibility in a thread about backward compatibility

i must be going InSaNe

Why does the Wii's backward compatibility matter? Because the gamecube sucked and everyone who didn't buy one now has a chance to play any gamecube game they ever wanted without worrying if it'll work or not. Not only that but you can get the games for about $10 or less.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
thechild
FFR Player

Quote:
Oh god I see the next comment "yeah well wii is just a beefed-up gamecube anyway"

yeah well it isn't. Whole new processor, whole new video card, whole new chipset.
lol game boy color hand held series. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just thought about it. But the DS might of killed the same exact system but some better stuff spree.
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #33
pop3tart
FFR Player

Quote:

Why does the Wii's backward compatibility matter? Because the gamecube sucked and everyone who didn't buy one now has a chance to play any gamecube game they ever wanted without worrying if it'll work or not. Not only that but you can get the games for about $10 or less.
I wonder why they cost 10$ or less. . . maybe because they "Sucked" so much?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #34
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You can't honestly believe that.

Please, please tell me you don't honestly believe that Gamecube games are the only games that have dropped in price as the years pass by.

I bought Metroid Prime for $10. ****ty game, I know, right?

Grand Theft Auto III, VC, and SA are all $10. ****ty games?

Halo is $10. ****ty game?

I can do this for every last-gen console's best-selling games. Just name it.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #35
pop3tart
FFR Player

I never said I did.

You just specifically pointed out how cheap THEY were.

There are some things I do not specifically like about the PS3. Hence this thread, I know there was a 60 gig PS3 that they discontinued that would allow backwards capability, yes. But since it's no longer on the market, I would like to point out that the 80 gig, which IS in market, has capability. HOWEVER, it's just software so it's not perfect. The 60 gig had Hardware which was more solid. You could get the 80 gig with the Software Emulation or you could get the 40 gig without capability or a flash card reader. (They both support Wi-Fi, though.)

For the capability, go for the 80 gig.

Something else I would like to point out is the online network. It's free. Yes, free. I'm not saying it makes it any better than the X-box Live. True, no Halo. But if you give it some time, there could be some good games. The only matter is money. The PS3 (and Blu Ray games) are pricy. Definitely. But for the people who really want the experience of it, it's completely worth it.