Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Valtrix Send a message via MSN to Valtrix
Default Valtrix's Music

So, just making a thread for my new music. I don't want to clutter up this forum too much, so this seems a lot more efficient. Feedback is appreciated. Always looking to get better. Also, anything I make can be used in FFR, though I don't think I have anything file-worthy...yet =)

New song-Escalation:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/93355

Kind of generic techno song, but it's sort of fun
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: Valtrix's Music

Yeah, don't feel bad spamming my own thread now xD

Forgotten Memoirs:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/94603

Not great, but hey, I'm working on getting better Learned some better arranging techniques here...
Old 09-9-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Because I really like Rising Star:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/95701
Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

K. This is because nobody hasreally replied or anything... And I'm gonna give you constructive criticism... Take it... Don't be offended... Don't defend yourself... Just take it and improve yourself...

Escalation - Lemee guess. Made in FLS? With the default drum kit? Sure sounds like it. You gotta expand your horizons on what drums you use. And the way you sequence your drums, ESPECIALLY for the song that this is, you gotta have the listeners really feel the drums and the rhythm. This song just doesnt have that. I'm not trying to be mean, I want to see you get better and better, especially that you have the will, but do some research online for the type of music you want to produce and how drum composition should flow on songs like these If you ever need any help you can ask, and I can help you with get a crazy amount of drum samples!

Forgotten Memoirs - I don't really know what to say. It's not Jazz. It's not ambient. It's not arabian techno of any sort. There is synthesized piano. There is a choir pad. It sounds like a dungeon background theme for some 2D scroller in a Nintendo game. You gotta have more substance.

Rising Star - Rising Star wouldn't load for me. I'll check it out later

Anyways! Keep up the work! I'll be looking forward to your next track!
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to check my songs out. It really helps me out a lot.

Actually, I think Escalation is when I started using samples outside of FL. I think that they sound a little better, but not a whole lot different from the FL defaults. But yeah, I know what you mean. Listening right now, the drums and what not don't really drive the song along well. Being mostly a singer myself, it's hard to put all the different parts together, but I'm trying different things to see what sounds good. Basically, I try to do new things with each song--This one I was just experimenting with the arpeggiator.

For memoirs, that's a little different. See, I made the piano by hand first, and so I opted to keep this song without much else to keep that. I wanted to try to write something close to being just piano, which is pretty hard to do. The strings gave it a little more substance but not a whole lot. I wanted the sort of atmosphere that this song creates, even though it's not a whole lot. It was a good practice, but it didn't really turn out the best. I learned better ways to organize my songs here. I've been told that my stuff is more background kind of music, and I think this song is a great example of that. I don't mind being at that point right now :P The style on this was just really strange, but I liked it.

Rising Star...You'll have to check that one out and let me know what you think. I think it's probably one of the best things I've made so far, even if I should have put more time into it. Slowly getting better at making stuff. :P

Last edited by Valtrix; 09-11-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Valtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
Gorlock
{Underground Concept}
FFR Music Producer

yo valtrix. first of all, everyone has to start somewhere. i'm thinking you don't have a whole lot of experience with production?

i listened to the track escalation. reminds of me when i started a while back. i would definitely recommend expanding on the drums, adding effects and layering is always good. also, i would EQ the kick so it's more of a boom than a pop, if you get where i'm coming from. that goes for rising star as well.

rising star, i like the piano, but the synth doesn't seem to go well with it. also the synth is a bet hot on the higher frequencies. definitely work with your melodies and harmonies and tweak them so they sound good together. i know that was something i struggled with when i was first getting started.

i'm looking forward to further releases from you. good luck with your production.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah, the problem is that I tend to listen to music relatively quietly, so it actually sounds fine to me. However, with louder speakers that's not necessarily the case. I'll try and master the sounds on louder volumes in the future. I do need to work on the kicks though. It's hard getting it to sound just how I want :P

Thanks for the comments, I'll try to keep them in mind as I continue making music.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtrix
Yeah, the problem is that I tend to listen to music relatively quietly, so it actually sounds fine to me. However, with louder speakers that's not necessarily the case. I'll try and master the sounds on louder volumes in the future.

You know... Two things I can automatically think that would help you out a big deal with what you said... And I'm sure Gorlock can ellaborate further... This is what we do when we produce to keep from happening of what you said...

A) Get yourself a nice set of headphones... Production quality... Get sweet highs, mids, and even better yet, sweet lows... They'll cost you somewhere around $50-ish...

and/or B) Use a plugin that watches the decibal meter of the actual kick itself, and a visual EQ that shows how much OOMPH is actually being created by the kick... Just assign that kick to the plugin channels and via la... You can keep your speaker volume low, and still relatively see what the kick is actually producing...

...Know what I mean?
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Gorlock
{Underground Concept}
FFR Music Producer

yeah, valtrix, if you don't like to play your music really loud you can still "watch the sounds" so to speak. get a spectrometer or an oscilloscope plugin. google search them if you don't know what i'm talking about, but basically it allows you to watch how loud your sound is at different frequencies. they are VERY useful. i never produce without monitoring plugins.

cheers
Old 09-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Misty Moonfall:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/96957

Way different from what I've made so far, but I think it's pretty good. Comments, anyone?
Old 10-3-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Valtrix
What am I doing here?
FFR Simfile Author

Yay for more shameless advertising. Why do I care? Because I can.

Emerald Jig:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/99170