Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which was more groundbreaking
Final Fantasy 7 43 47.78%
Chrono Trigger 47 52.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #61
Darkjakk
FFR Player

Default Re: FF7 or Crono Trigger? Which was more ground breaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtopiaXD View Post
Saying that FFVII is not even of the best in its series is really giving it no credit what so ever. I mean i'm not gona repeat myself read up top if you want, but FFVII is far more than decent regardless of what people have degraded it too.

Im not saying the game is horrible or anything. It was one of my first RPGs and I enjoyed it immensely while playing it. I just found that the other games in the series were alot better. 3,6,9 and hell I'd even rather play 12. So im not saying its a bad game, I think its great, but at the same time it isn't the second coming of christ like alot of people claim it to be
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #62
koro koro
FFR Player

whatever, trigger is boring

FF7 is not
koro koro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #63
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

1) Saying that Final Fantasy is the best RPG series ever or that Square is the best RPG-maker is like saying Medal of Honor is the best FPS or that EA (or whoever originally made MoH) is the best FPS-maker.
2) If either of those games mentioned in 1) did anything for their respective genres, they got more people into their respective genres. FF7 was a lot of people's first RPG. MoH was a lot of people's first FPS. Then (hopefully) people moved on to bigger and better things. Unfortunately, some people never realize that their first love was a trashy whore that mistreated them. =(
3) From what I've played of the FF games, they sucked at first, got better till about the 3rd or 4th one, then have been going downhill since then. Then again, I haven't played one since X, and haven't cared about one since X-2 (rofl terrible name), and I have no idea about the newest one. The only time I've heard somebody I trust (aka: not random 2-post guy on random forums) rave about how good an FF game was it was about an FF: Tactics game. Never played one, but at this point, unless FF: Tactics exactly like Diablo 2 I probably won't like it. Oh how I love D2.
4) I've never played Chrono, but I don't see how anything couldn't be more innovative than FF. Even all the things I've seen in this list are either not unique or such a mundane uniqueness that it doesn't matter (omg the skill system and plot is different?! WOW!! HOW INVENTIVE TO NOT EXACTLY COPY ANOTHER GAME!!).
5)
Quote:
You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves for even acknowledging this thread...

Seriously.
I honestly don't even know why I bother responding. Half the people arguing for FF don't even realize that a post or topic is NOT a forum.

On that point, that's about the only thing that ever REALLY pisses me off. How are you ON A FORUM and don't even know the lingo at all? I mean, it's not hard. You click the Forum button to get to the main thing, you click the Make TOPIC button or Post REPLY buttons, not the LOL MAKE FORUM!! button. Like...it just blows my mind. It'd be like saying your desk is a house or calling one page a book. =\

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #64
LGCManetheran
FFR Player

Gonna have to go with Chrono Trigger on this one. Its one of the best games of all time
LGCManetheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #65
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Definetly Chrono Trigger!
It was the best RPG and still is. I lost interest in FF7 after the first boss.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #66
jayjayboy
Wish i didnt lag a lot
FFR Veteran

Chrono Trigger
is one of the best games
jayjayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #67
Rayje655
FFR Player

Chrono Trigger...nuff said

Shrinked siggy by request.
Rayje655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #68
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

FF7 was definitely more groundbreaking. New features, very interesting storyline, amazing art, amazing interfaces, interesting bosses and enemies... just a solid game all around. So was CT, but I simply feel FF7 was more ahead of its time than CT was.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #69
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Now that I think about it, you can't really compare the 2 games.
They were both in different time periods, and Square Enix (Squaresoft) made both the games.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #70
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

I'll have to side with Final Fantasy 7.

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #71
Belgarion
FFR Player

I'd have to say that the well-woven plot, along with the addition of time-traveling, made Crono Trigger a far more innovative experience for me.
Belgarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #72
UtopiaXD
FFR Player

Alot of people are voting which is a better game. Its which was more ground breaking people, not all just alot of people are..

Also yes it is hard to compare the two but in order to really do so you have to think about for the time which acomplished more. I mean think about this chrono trigger was late 1995 september to be exact.. so almost 1996. FFVII was 1997 a little over a year later, and wow did they improve alot. That alone wins my vote in FFVII being more ground breaking, along with a ton of other reasons that I won't list at the moment. (dont get me wrong Chrono Trigger was/is amazing!)
UtopiaXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #73
plasmix
FFR Player

1. Chrono and FF7 had different design teams. Also, Chrono was released in March of 95.

2. FF6 was released in April 94. FF7 in Jan 97. Maybe three years to develop for 3D. Ok.

3. FF7 was the 7th in a series. Its battle system isn't as completely original as you think it is.

4. Aside from the battle system, your argument seems completely based on the graphics. Yes, they're great. And?
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #74
zidart
FFR Player

and the character development system (wich we talked about it many many times) was unique, and gave a lot of freedoom.
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #75
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtopiaXD View Post
Alot of people are voting which is a better game. Its which was more ground breaking people, not all just alot of people are..

Also yes it is hard to compare the two but in order to really do so you have to think about for the time which acomplished more. I mean think about this chrono trigger was late 1995 september to be exact.. so almost 1996. FFVII was 1997 a little over a year later, and wow did they improve alot. That alone wins my vote in FFVII being more ground breaking, along with a ton of other reasons that I won't list at the moment. (dont get me wrong Chrono Trigger was/is amazing!)
It's not that they improved a lot (I'm not saying that they didn't improve), it's that they switched systems. CT was made for the Super Nintendo and FF7 made for PS1. They did of course remake CT for the PS1 but all they did was increase the load time of the menu screen (not main menu) and add short clips to the end of the game.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #76
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

Chrono = Square + Enix
FF7 = Square only

Chrono wins
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #77
UtopiaXD
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmix View Post
1. Chrono and FF7 had different design teams. Also, Chrono was released in March of 95.

2. FF6 was released in April 94. FF7 in Jan 97. Maybe three years to develop for 3D. Ok.

3. FF7 was the 7th in a series. Its battle system isn't as completely original as you think it is.

4. Aside from the battle system, your argument seems completely based on the graphics. Yes, they're great. And?
1. I'm not understanding this point at all... ok 2 different design teams proves what? I realize the same people didnt work on both games if thats what your getting at but that dosn't really say anything.

2.Why are you mentioning FF6 we are talking about chrono trigger here. Chrono trigger was released in 95' and FFVII in 97' so thats 2 years to develop 3D.

3.This point is completely retarted FF2=FF4, FF3=FF6 and FF1 are the only american FF's released prior to FFVII. So three games for the time all with completely different battle systems. Besides the basics like attack, magic but the systems are all different.

4. No my arguement is not all based on graphics, but "Yes, they're great. And? Well and graphics like that were never done before. So yea thats impressive. Especially in an RPG.
UtopiaXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #78
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

He mentioned the different design teams because Final Fantasy's creators are not the same as Chrono Trigger's creators. Thus, it WAS three+ years to develop.

Also, the Final Fantasy retrospective. After watching all of the released episodes, I can easily say I'm glad I didn't play FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. Six actually looked like fun though. FF8 and 9 are set to be showcased next week, so hopefully I'll find out more about FF9 which, I hear, is the only other good Final Fantasy game outside of FF6.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4831.html

These videos also showcase what's new to the RPG world. When they get to FF7, guess what's new? Not much! And they say very soon into the FF7 video that the development time was all about making 3D work. They also say it was in development since FF5's release in Japan.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #79
zidart
FFR Player

watch the retrospective in the collectors edition of final fantasy XII, i think is better and explains what's new in every final fantasy, and of course what is different.

all the final fantasy games are different, but you have to play them all to see by yourself
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #80
CobaltWire
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
He mentioned the different design teams because Final Fantasy's creators are not the same as Chrono Trigger's creators. Thus, it WAS three+ years to develop.

Also, the Final Fantasy retrospective. After watching all of the released episodes, I can easily say I'm glad I didn't play FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. Six actually looked like fun though. FF8 and 9 are set to be showcased next week, so hopefully I'll find out more about FF9 which, I hear, is the only other good Final Fantasy game outside of FF6.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4831.html

These videos also showcase what's new to the RPG world. When they get to FF7, guess what's new? Not much! And they say very soon into the FF7 video that the development time was all about making 3D work. They also say it was in development since FF5's release in Japan.

I enjoyed FF9 though it felt shorter than the others in the series
CobaltWire is offline   Reply With Quote