Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #41
Mr_Tumness
FFR Player

Default Re: Will rapidly advancing technology make us primitive in the long run?

Wow its funny that you say all this stuff, why would someone let them selfs get that low, especially when you need money in the first place, i mean some people aren't just born rich, some of us are pretty poor, trying to make it by with nothing, there is no way that people could get like this, because there's always gonna be someone out there thats poor and that knows how to eat, drink, what ever you want to do. I know for a fact that were not gonna get a robot to play ffr anyways i mean there would be no fun in that, they would all get the same score.
Mr_Tumness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #42
Aa_Doodaa
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aa_Doodaa
Default Re: Will rapidly advancing technology make us primitive in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
This is such a dramatically over-the-top example of where you're trying to come from, that I have difficulty taking it seriously.
Yeah it is kinda over-the-top. I see what you mean, but sometimes it's best to take things to the extreme to explain them.
Lol, there sure are a lot of mods in here.
Aa_Doodaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #43
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa_Doodaa View Post
What if, one day in the future, human beings had almost no responsibilities because it was all done by machinery, and we lost the knowledge of how to do things that had been formerly done by technology?
No, we have it recorded in books so that we will not forget.

Unless.. We'd somehow use the books as firewood like they did 2000 years ago at the start of the dark ages.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #44
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

It'll be like bonfire of the vanities, only for vital information about ways of life!
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #45
Aa_Doodaa
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aa_Doodaa

Lol, absorb the aroma of the dying text of life, information that could save the world >.>
Lol, there sure are a lot of mods in here.
Aa_Doodaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #46
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Unless.. We'd somehow use the books as firewood like they did 2000 years ago at the start of the dark ages.
As an aside...2000 years ago was still right smack in the middle of the rather advanced, cultured and intellectual Roman Empire.

The "Dark Ages" (Less perjoratively called the 'Middle Ages') is generally stated to have started in 476 with the deposition of the last Roman Emperor, and extends to around about 1350.

To be completely honest, the "dark ages" aren't called dark because people weren't advanced at all, they were called dark because there was very little historical recording of information, so we don't know all that much about what went on. IMO, the philosophy and intellectual thought of the middle ages leaves the renaissance in the dust. Middle ages philosophy (Like Thomas Aquinas, as an exemplar) was substantially more deep, well thought out and rigorous than the majority of renaissance thought.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #47
buttonmasher0
FFR Player

If you still want to take this to the extreme watch the important plot parts of Zegapain, extreme or non-extreme that should explain the basics of what you are asking.
buttonmasher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #48
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

Quote:
The "Dark Ages" (Less perjoratively called the 'Middle Ages') is generally stated to have started in 476 with the deposition of the last Roman Emperor, and extends to around about 1350.
For europe. Eastern Rome kept going for a while.

Quote:
IMO, the philosophy and intellectual thought of the middle ages leaves the renaissance in the dust. Middle ages philosophy (Like Thomas Aquinas, as an exemplar) was substantially more deep, well thought out and rigorous than the majority of renaissance thought.
Well, when all you do is steal Aristotle and add a Christian element you don't have to worry about making any new mistakes. When you try to build a new system of thought from the ground up you don't have any such frame of reference.
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #49
Master_of_the_Faster
FFR Player

There are some traits of humans that just won't change with time. I don't think that without futuristic technology, people would forget how to eat. Sure the futuristic generation would probably be lazy, but I mean we all know that food goes down our mouths and into our digestive track right? Even if the futuristic generation would get lazy, why would a person want to change the joys of the pleasurable things that humans do in life? If you want to eat chocalte-chip cookie dough ice cream, are you seriously going to give it to some robot to chew for you and then just have it shove the ice cream in your mouth? Perhaps the robot would carry the ice cream to you and place it in your mouth, but I don't think the robot would actually chew it for you and get rid of the sensation (atleast I love cookie-dough ice cream). People probably don't have to shove food into your mouth to make you know that you are hugry and that you would eat or drink eventually using your mouth if you are able to access anything to eat or drink. I would probably say that if there was a way to make people not constantly breathe (which I would actually like), without that technology, we would still understand that breathing would be basic need for life. Under my impression that it is common sense for humans to know how to obtain their basic needs and then eventually obtain certain wants, I wouldn't think that humans would ever stay "primitive".
Master_of_the_Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #50
Tails99
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tails99

Another Dark Age will probably happen. Not the End of the World, but an overthrow of machines on our way of life. That's if you get past the conundrum of machines are not smarter than those who programmed them. But of course, no one individual man knows everything, so if you get a machine that

A)Has a power to absorb ALL information by catalogged books and information sites.(and that is happening. Books on cd -> CD put on computers -> Put onto internet)

B) Is instated with other robots who are created to kill any people who do not share the intelligence they posess, by viewing them obsolete. These would have to be created by either someone who posesses all the knowledge the robots know, or a fool who doesn't realize that these smart robots are smarter than they are and would kill them too.
Tails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 AM   #51
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Why would a robot, concluding that it was more intelligent than a human, somehow be moved to destroy it? We keep around all -kinds- of things that are less smart than us without wantonly killing them all for no reason.

I find it odd how the general assumption about aliens is that if they are super intelligent they must be peaceful and enlightened, but if it is robots, they must somehow decide to kill all humans.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #52
FatalRay
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to FatalRay Send a message via Yahoo to FatalRay

Funny this topic exists. I remember like 4 years ago I was watching this retarded show called...I think Blaster's Universe... Some kids learning show. I remember the kid, this alien chick, and their metal dog landed on this planet that was like a desert and the civilization is just terribly stupid. They have no idea what they are doing. Because before their time they lived in a time where EVERYTHING was done by robots and they lived in a marvelous city. However the robots eventually broke down leaving them all confused and not even be able to do the simplest tasks as mentioned, feeding themselves. I do believe there is a chance this could happen in many years to come
FatalRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #53
Master_of_the_Faster
FFR Player

Quote:
Why would a robot, concluding that it was more intelligent than a human, somehow be moved to destroy it? We keep around all -kinds- of things that are less smart than us without wantonly killing them all for no reason.

I find it odd how the general assumption about aliens is that if they are super intelligent they must be peaceful and enlightened, but if it is robots, they must somehow decide to kill all humans.
I think that people get the impression that robots can be made or hacked into evil beings. You wouldn't have to be smart in order to kill someone (perhaps you would need to be smart to get away with it in certain cases though). I would say that an alien (if it exists) could be just as bad as an evil robot for the same reasons that there are bad humans. Any real argument that states that aliens are more friendly than robots is an unjustified argument because there is no evidence for now.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #54
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_of_the_Faster View Post
I think that people get the impression that robots can be made or hacked into evil beings. You wouldn't have to be smart in order to kill someone (perhaps you would need to be smart to get away with it in certain cases though). I would say that an alien (if it exists) could be just as bad as an evil robot for the same reasons that there are bad humans. Any real argument that states that aliens are more friendly than robots is an unjustified argument because there is no evidence for now.
You misunderstand the concept to which I'm referring. The belief is that any species that got to a point advanced enough to develop and use faster-than-light travel, or develop technologies to get such vast distances at sub-light speeds would need to be of a sufficiently advanced level that it is assumed they couldn't get there if they were still hostile towards one another.

When you're at war with your own species, you spend time and effort on ways to kill each other, not ways to cooperatively move yourself across vast stellar distances.

The argument doesn't say "Aliens are morally good" it says "Any species that gets to that level of advancement must necessarily reach a similar level of enlightenment that implies their moral goodness"
Old 06-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #55
Master_of_the_Faster
FFR Player

I still disagree with the idea that aliens or any developed species would be considered good. Sure a species might work togather with its own group of species, but next thing you know while they are in Earth, they might just want to blow humans up. If there are any real aliens, anything we have said or portrayed about them are probably steriotypical statements. As for robots, I would say that anything that a robot does bad would be blamed on their creators.