Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces
Default Is consciousness an external phenomena?

Are we looking in the wrong place for the root causes of consciousness.?

What if consciousness as we experience it, is not made entirely by the brain, but is in part an external wavefront phenomenon that is temporarily linked to our corporeal bodies for as long as we are awake ?

Is consciousness connected via some sort of unbilical or tether that is related to 4 dimensional spacetime ?

I am am deeply skeptical of "new age" notions.

But at the same time I am wondering about what happens to our "consciousness" when we go to sleep or when people experience some sort of traumatic physical injury or dislocation. Eg Comas, PTSS. etc.

Is it possible that "out of Body experiences" could be explained by considering "consciousness" as an external force/energy of which we have little or no present understanding.

I am sure there will plenty of you willing to shoot this idea down..go ahead.

But having said that, can you prove it this is definitely "not" the case ?

I might add, that the current idea of consciousness being created entirely "within" our skulls is one that hasn't been fully proved either.

I invite your opinions and ideas.

Specforces
Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
JustJono
FFR Player

I believe that our minds are like radio signals being received by our brain, the satelite dish.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Jono.asp
JustJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:08 AM   #3
Monoc
FFR Player

i don't think that we really loose our conciousness when we are asleep. Our mind is very active while sleeping, and your dreams are most certainly linked to your stream of conciousness when you fall asleep (see the dreaming topic). Also, you can sometimes remember conversations people have had in the room with you while you were sleeping. I see sleep as a time where our conciousness focuses inwards and reflects on the stimuli it has recieved since the last time you slept instead of explicitly gathering new stimuli.
While I believe that conciousness is just inside your skull, I have no logical proof for or against the idea that conciousness is tethered from an external location. It just doesn't fit with my belief that there are no supernatural beings.
Monoc is offline   Reply With Quote