Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
coberst
FFR Player

Default Essay writing is the beginning of understanding

Essay writing is the beginning of understanding

Knowing is like day breaking, understanding is like lightening striking.

Comprehension is the payoff for struggle. There is a hierarchy of comprehension. Like a pyramid with the base being awareness, followed by consciousness (awareness plus attention) then comes knowledge with understanding at the pinnacle of the pyramid.

Reading is the key to knowing and essay writing is the canvas for creating understanding.

Of all the creatures perhaps humans are the only ones who fail to live up to their potential. Obesity is the evidence of a lack of physical endeavor and boredom is the consequence of a lazy brain.

“Reading is fundamental.” Essay writing is the art and science of creation.

We can take any issue that might enrage any one of us and we can discover that the root cause of it is the fact that we the citizens are not doing our job. In a liberal democracy wherein the sovereignty rests on the shoulders of the citizen any outrage committed by that society can ultimately be traced back to the lack of enlightenment by the citizen.

Enlightened does not equal informed. Information flows over us in a daily deluge but consciousness is the missing catalyst for action. Our daily dose of information might be compared to our drive to work each morning. We are deluged with information reaching our perception on our drive to work and very little of that information becomes an object of consciousness.

Humans are pattern recognition creatures. We survive by the patterns of which we are conscious. To be an enlightened citizen is to be a citizen who has rationally organized a matrix of pattern detecting systems.

We have in our genes some pattern detecting systems. When hiking in the woods I am occasionally stopped in my tracks with a deep chill by some kind of form or movement. Among this infinite amount of movement and pattern one particular set penetrates my consciousness. We have evolved with this detection system so as to survive the predators.

I think that if we make the intellectual effort to understand some domain of knowledge and perhaps take the additional effort to write out our understanding of that matter, our essay will serve as our pattern for recognition for matters pertinent to that domain.

I consider that writing an essay is a major means for reaching an understanding of a domain of knowledge.

I think that these forums offer a great opportunity for practicing our writing skills. Do you agree? Is writing part of your learning process?
coberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Could_Strife007
FFR Player

Default Re: Essay writing is the beginning of understanding

Humans were never meant to express thier ideas on paper. We are social beings, and reactionary conversation is the only true way to express understanding. In fact, I think that the new wave of technologies soon to become common in the digital space will finally bring us back to our primal roots.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
RandomPscho
FFR Player

I fully disagree.

Essay writing is a way to convey your message onto others, but not to learn. You learn from reading, watching, and doing. How can you learn without knowing what you are going to write about? -- Research, which is not writing.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
jamuko
FFR Player

While I agree with the above, I also think there is some truth to what Coberst said. Writing essays forces you to think through your topic in a much clearer fashion than you would just thinking or reading about it.

It's kinda like that phrase.... uhh, I forgot how it goes. Something about how teaching is the best way to learn. Same principle... reinforcing your knowledge in this way allows you go have a much stronger understanding of the subject.
I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
There's lots of happiness in my pocket
So let's play forever~
jamuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPscho View Post
I fully disagree.

Essay writing is a way to convey your message onto others, but not to learn. You learn from reading, watching, and doing. How can you learn without knowing what you are going to write about? -- Research, which is not writing.
Do you not learn through research?

Does writing not force you to think about the subject you have researched and draw your own conlusions about it as you write?
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Research is not writing, though.

You can research a topic without having to write an essay about it.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
coberst
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Could_Strife007 View Post
Humans were never meant to express thier ideas on paper. We are social beings, and reactionary conversation is the only true way to express understanding. In fact, I think that the new wave of technologies soon to become common in the digital space will finally bring us back to our primal roots.
I fear you might be correct.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
coberst
FFR Player

Quote:
I fully disagree.

You are in for a marvelous surprise. Writing is the best way to learn. You were not taught this in school or college but there are many delights to be learned after the school daze are over.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
madmatt621
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to madmatt621 Send a message via AIM to madmatt621 Send a message via MSN to madmatt621 Send a message via Yahoo to madmatt621 Send a message via Skype™ to madmatt621

Try writing a speech for your graduating class. When you're up at the podium reading your speech, you feel all light headed and like you're going to fall down.
madmatt621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Research is not writing, though.
So that aspect of learning is indirect. Doesn't mean it's not there entirely.

Quote:
You can research a topic without having to write an essay about it.
But can you write an essay with any sort of quality without researching your topic?
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
But can you write an essay with any sort of quality without researching your topic?
No, but can you research with high quality without writing an essay? Yes. The root of this knowledge comes from research, not the writing. The essay isn't the first, research is.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
drummerlsu
Geaux Tigers
FFR Veteran

Quote:
No, but can you research with high quality without writing an essay? Yes. The root of this knowledge comes from research, not the writing. The essay isn't the first, research is.
Right but you're missing the point. Forget about the actual act of writing the essay. You can read volumes and volumes and comprehend them perfectly, but if you don't actually do something with what you read - something original and something with purpose - then you are just missing out on that "top" level of understanding.

Writing is a straightforward way of doing this - it forces you to process the ideas completely and apply your own original thinking to the ideas you've read. But you could also go through the process by having a verbal discussion. Or possibly by thinking very systematically.

There is a similar process with learning in other fields. Mathematics for example - you can watch many problems being worked, but you just don't get the same level of understanding as you get from working one yourself.
drummerlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

When you are writing an essay on a subject, you are literally teaching the subject itself. I tend to learn a subject better if I teach or talk about it to someone else. Listening to something is not quite the same as talking or applying it.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted so far. Strange.

well...

"Obesity is the evidence of a lack of physical endeavor"

This is largely false.

Also, any claim as to what constitutes the "beginning" of knowledge or wisdom or understanding is automatically suspect. As the OP itself states, human beings have certain innate pattern detection capabilities, so the "beginning" of understanding is actually just "being".

Also, scholars typically credit Montaigne for creating or at least popularizing the essay, which would essentially mean we owe the form of writing to the ramblings of a highly depressed man. Humorously enough some of his writings would actually be applicable to this discussion.

Human beings only have limited capacity for turning things over in their own head and writing them all down at once. Problems of memory, and of focus, limit the benefits of it. Being able to think in this way is of course critical to learning in many ways, but correspondence based education comes much more naturally to most people and holds a host of other benefits and practicalities.
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
OrganisM
FFR Player

You of course greatly learn from writing....

but that crap one does in grade school is not what i call writing.
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
But the essay requires research. Even if the actual typing process does not generate new information, the assignment on the whole does, which is why I said it was "indirect" in my previous post.

This is a moot point regardless because you'll be learning through writing anyway when your writing forces you to think about the subject for yourself and form your own conclusions.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
But the essay requires research. Even if the actual typing process does not generate new information, the assignment on the whole does, which is why I said it was "indirect" in my previous post.

This is a moot point regardless because you'll be learning through writing anyway when your writing forces you to think about the subject for yourself and form your own conclusions.
Coberst is only talking about the writing, I believe. This would still put writing towards the end of understanding. Not the beginning.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

You seem to be equating knowing with understanding, which is a bad decision to make.

I can research a subject a whole bunch and know a lot about it. Does that mean I understand it? Not necessarily. When I write an essay about the subject, I am forced to think about it in depth - beyond what encyclopedias and the like would present - and make my own decisions about the subject. That is where the understanding part kicks in.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
RandomPscho
FFR Player

You still understand while you research. Maybe you don't make all the connections, but you still understand at least some of the information.

I am not disagreeing here that writing helps you understand things, but it is definitely not the beginning of where the understanding starts.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

"Understanding some of the information" still falls under the category of knowing rather than actual understanding.

Either that or you're researching something scientific, in which case you'd be writing a lab report rather than an essay.