Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-6-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
megaxxx
FFR Player

Default Order vs. Chaos

In a world where order is preserved and chaos is let loose, there is questionable doubt of which has the higher hand in the game, but how is it so? I mean, with the idea that without order, there would be chaos, and without chaos, there would be order. On the other hand, the more chaos there is, the more order comes from it and vice versa. Anyone care to elaborate?

megaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x
Default Re: Order vs. Chaos

False dichotomy derived entirely from ignorance. You don't know that there might not be some sort of pattern to everything. Similarly, a radical skeptic might suggest anything resembling order is a fluke and things that resemble axiomatic truth simply haven't been examined in enough instances to disprove them.

You're also ignoring a number of very important questions. Such as, if there is neither order nor chaos (if there is nothing), could that be order? Is a null set a form of order? How about a distribution of only one object? Are you equating chaos with absence of order or simply excess of possibility? If something can turn out several trillion different ways based on innumerable factors is that chaotic or simply extremely complex order?

Given the perpetual march forward of human knowledge, it seems reasonable to assume that there is order in everything and it is simply the limits of human language and perception that keep us from seeing and describing it. As Einstein said, the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it seems to be comprehensible.
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

The fundamental presupposition of science is that nature is ordered.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaxxx View Post
In a world where order is preserved and chaos is let loose, there is questionable doubt of which has the higher hand in the game, but how is it so? I mean, with the idea that without order, there would be chaos, and without chaos, there would be order. On the other hand, the more chaos there is, the more order comes from it and vice versa. Anyone care to elaborate?
I don't know if you're just trying to be philosophical or something, but I'm just going to say that you're dead wrong.

Chaos will ultimately win. The Second Law will make sure of that.

Every time you make order, you lose a little something, so you can't indefinitely order things.

This isn't like a clockwork chemical reaction, where one side of the equation will be abundantly produced, but then the excess of that will produce that which is on the other side of the equation, and then vice versa.

Please explain "the more chaos there is, the more order comes from it".

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
I believe he is trying to use the "if there was no evil then there would be no such thing as good" theory.

Basically, with more chaos, you have to impose new laws, new legislation etc. to have order. So you are effectively creating more order from the increase of chaos.

I personally don't like the theory, man, as a whole and when in a community of people, will always end up developing a "norm" with which people will follow, and if people stray from the "norm" then those people are breaking the order that this community has created.

Still, what he has posted does seem to be trying to be philosophical, or else he has just worded it incorrectly. Saying order is controlled and chaos is let loose is the same as saying "well black is a colour and white is a colour". It doesn't really take much to describe the word.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
megaxxx
FFR Player

This is exactly what I am talking about. It is like Newton's law, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." This is the same for order and chaos. Raping hit my point dead on. Thanks for wording it better.

Old 03-7-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Then explain to me why the two are intimately related.

I propose that order and chaos are NOT like good and evil; they can exist without the other.

With regard to thermodynamics, a closed system of maximum entropy will NEVER become ordered. NEVER. Maximum chaos, zero order, and that will never change.

And with Reaper's social example, order will not necessarily come to exist. Many peoples around the world still live in relative chaos and are quite content to stay that way.

Why should I believe that one could not exist without the other when the natural world says otherwise?

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 03-7-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR

Quote:
I don't know if you're just trying to be philosophical or something, but I'm just going to say that you're dead wrong.

Chaos will ultimately win. The Second Law will make sure of that.

Every time you make order, you lose a little something, so you can't indefinitely order things.

This isn't like a clockwork chemical reaction, where one side of the equation will be abundantly produced, but then the excess of that will produce that which is on the other side of the equation, and then vice versa.

--Guido

everything that is, everything that has been has followed natural law. order and chaos are all relative.

anything that you could describe as "chaotic" still follows the laws of physics. there isnt some "chaotic entity" that is pure randomness.

guido: even in your closed system with maximum entropy(lol) everything is still behaving according to natural laws. and i GUARANTEE that there is still cause and effect for everything that goes on in that system. just because things break apart doesnt mean that "chaos did it". it happens according to natural processes.
Old 03-7-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
everything that is, everything that has been has followed natural law. order and chaos are all relative.
Relative to what? Each other?

Quote:
guido: even in your closed system with maximum entropy(lol) everything is still behaving according to natural laws.
So what does that mean? I'm reading that you're saying natural laws = order. If that's what you intend (please correct me if I'm wrong), then...

Quote:
and i GUARANTEE that there is still cause and effect for everything that goes on in that system.
why do we have the study of statistics, the study of random behavior? Even then, if that's what you mean, then we perpetually have order and chaos in indeterminate amounts and this discussion is moot.

Or would you say that statistics is part of the natural laws?

Quantum mechanics gives plenty of situations in which there is no clear cause or effect due to random behavior.

Quote:
just because things break apart doesnt mean that "chaos did it". it happens according to natural processes.
Natural processes exist to strive toward chaos. "Chaos" itself may not have actually performed the actions, but it's the reason that the action happened.

I wanted to clarify how he was arguing since I'm not a philosophical fellow. I'm arguing simply from a scientific standpoint. Order and chaos equate to exergy and entropy, respectively. This is a quantifiable battle like the OP wants to discuss, and it's also a battle that one will win. Chaos. Order cannot possibly gain on it, and disorder will ultimately prevail.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-7-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
megaxxx
FFR Player

Quote:
Then explain to me why the two are intimately related.

I propose that order and chaos are NOT like good and evil; they can exist without the other.

With regard to thermodynamics, a closed system of maximum entropy will NEVER become ordered. NEVER. Maximum chaos, zero order, and that will never change.

And with Reaper's social example, order will not necessarily come to exist. Many peoples around the world still live in relative chaos and are quite content to stay that way.

Why should I believe that one could not exist without the other when the natural world says otherwise?

--Guido

Just becuase the system has loop holes (everything does) does not mean that it is impossible to have both chaos and order in our world, but to answer your question, the fact that order and chaos does coexist inside of each other does mean they equal out. To simply put, if this entire world was of chaos, then we would all destroy ourselves and order would rise from the ashes. If our entire world was of order, then somewhere, there would be at least one bad apple because we are not perfect. Being that, there may not be equal amounts of order and chaos at one point, but instead, they correspond to each other in an equal amount at different times. This is where it is balanced. Maybe your not really looking at it at my perspective. Just because you don't see it dosen't mean it dosen't exist. I wish I could word my posts better too. Also, as you can see here, there is an equal amount of chaos and order in my post. This should explain it. The chaos in this post is that I am not able to word it correctly, but the order of this post is that if someone can understand it the way I intended it to, then I did word it correctly. Under other circumstances, you may not understand, but others do. Another example of order and chaos. I hope you see where I am going with this.

Last edited by megaxxx; 03-7-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Old 03-7-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
FoJaR
The Worst

Quote:
Relative to what? Each other?
yeah, they're relative terms not absolutes that describe our ability to understand a situation. there is no absolute ORDER or any absolute CHAOS, just things that to us appear more orderly or more chaotic, the chaotic ones being the more complex in structure.

Quote:
So what does that mean? I'm reading that you're saying natural laws = order. If that's what you intend (please correct me if I'm wrong), then...
i'm saying that nothing absolutely chaotic exists. there is nothing that is completely random, so when we use the term "chaos" it refers to something that is in a less predictable state not unpredictable, less predictable.

meaning we could predict it if we had the understanding, but we dont, so we use statistics to cover that part of whatever it is that we dont understand.

Quote:
why do we have the study of statistics, the study of random behavior? Even then, if that's what you mean, then we perpetually have order and chaos in indeterminate amounts and this discussion is moot.

Or would you say that statistics is part of the natural laws?

Quantum mechanics gives plenty of situations in which there is no clear cause or effect due to random behavior.

Natural processes exist to strive toward chaos. "Chaos" itself may not have actually performed the actions, but it's the reason that the action happened.

I wanted to clarify how he was arguing since I'm not a philosophical fellow. I'm arguing simply from a scientific standpoint. Order and chaos equate to exergy and entropy, respectively. This is a quantifiable battle like the OP wants to discuss, and it's also a battle that one will win. Chaos. Order cannot possibly gain on it, and disorder will ultimately prevail.

--Guido

just because we dont currently understand all of the forces involved in the interactions of lil quantum particles doesnt mean that their actions are RANDOM. the reason we have probabilities and statistics is to account for the parts of these interactions that we cant see yet, or dont understand yet.

Quote:
hit me.

Last edited by FoJaR; 03-7-2007 at 07:53 PM..
FoJaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
just because we dont currently understand all of the forces involved in the interactions of lil quantum particles doesnt mean that their actions are RANDOM.
You don't know that.

Quote:
hit me.
Which path a photon will take in a doubleslit experiment with both slits open, quantum leaps, hell, even the Schroedinger's Cat experiment is based on the fact that atomic decay is 100% random. I'm sure there are more, too.

And yes, it is possible that there are equations and forces to explain those things, but it's also equally likely that they're purely random. Considering how much we know about those phenomena and how not close we are to finding equations governing them, though, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Also, thanks, FFR, for making me rewrite this post. /me grumles.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-7-2007, 09:17 PM   #13
FoJaR
The Worst

Quote:
You don't know that.

Which path a photon will take in a doubleslit experiment with both slits open, quantum leaps, hell, even the Schroedinger's Cat experiment is based on the fact that atomic decay is 100% random. I'm sure there are more, too.
schroedinger's cat experiment is based on the fact that atomic decay is not understood fully, and therefore a probability rather than completely predictable.

Quote:
And yes, it is possible that there are equations and forces to explain those things, but it's also equally likely that they're purely random.
there's nothing that proves that they're random. when you say something is random that's just giving up because you're too lazy to put in the time to understand.

Quote:
Considering how much we know about those phenomena and how not close we are to finding equations governing them, though, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

--Guido

lol, you're saying that it's un-understandable just because we havent understood it yet. LOL

seriously all dont bother we are as close as we're gonna get it's random
Old 03-7-2007, 09:25 PM   #14
FoJaR
The Worst

man i feel like a broken record.

basically the fact that anything can be understood scientifically makes it so there's a greater chance that everything can be understood.

if there were true randomness, it would make its way up and we'd have really weird **** going on all the time.
Old 03-8-2007, 05:59 AM   #15
megaxxx
FFR Player

Quote:
You don't know that.

And yes, it is possible that there are equations and forces to explain those things, but it's also equally likely that they're purely random. Considering how much we know about those phenomena and how not close we are to finding equations governing them, though, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

--Guido

I do know that some things are considered random. I mean, take lightning for instance. There are many factors that contribute to its position. For instance, where will the clouds meet at? Where will the lightning go to? How much lightning is in the bolt? But it is not that hard to produce random data. The key aspect is that in my last post.

Old 03-8-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
MeaCulpa
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MeaCulpa

Quote:
i'm saying that nothing absolutely chaotic exists. there is nothing that is completely random...
Well not yet, but according to the Second Law, this will happen eventually.

I presume by "natural processes", mega was referring to spontaneous ones? In that case, such processes naturally lead to a decrease in free energy and an increase in entropy. More entropy = more randomness = more chaos in the long run.

Also, I think there might be conflicting views here on what "order" and "chaos" are referring to. I don't see mega's view (chaos and order in his forum post) in the same light that I see Guido's view (exergy, entropy, etc.)
MeaCulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2007, 09:56 AM   #17
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
if there were true randomness, it would make its way up and we'd have really weird **** going on all the time.
Oh but there is. You just don't see any of it. The entire world around you, if broken down into fundemantal pieces, would make absolutely no sense to you. It is inherently impossible to attempt to understand what the world actually looks like and what is really happening, because your brain has been tuned by evolution to put things together into chunks we can understand.

Also, the random vs non random argument is pointless. Realize that even if quantum mechanics is goverened by an outside, quantifiable set of parameters, you still can't tell the difference between that and the random events we can see. Thus it has no practical value. All experimental results suggest randomness, and they would still appear random in the same way to us even if they were controlled values.

It's semantic nonsense and leads to a whole bunch of arguments that lead nowhere.

Last edited by Reach; 03-8-2007 at 10:00 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2007, 10:51 AM   #18
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

Well y'know, semantics is the part of language that handles meaning. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to have mutually agreed upon definitions for a word.

For instance, does entropy really imply chaos? It seems to me it only implies a decrease in the available energy to do work. If my arm falls off because I used it too much, my arm can still be described, it just can't be used and it isn't in a form I'm comfortable with.

If we're defining chaos as whatever patterns create immediate discomfort to human perception, then I suppose entropy very well is chaos. Death is certainly a form of entropy, although death is also part of natural order.

If we're defining chaos as lack of order then I truly don't see how entropy could be chaos, in a system of maximum entropy nothing is happening. There are no processes to be disordered. If there is anything in the system at all it remains in an order determined by the laws of physics and by what work was done before the energy was depleted from the system.

Reach, you seem to be using some sort of conglomeration of these two understandings, as do most of you, but you seem to be leaning more towards the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Also, the random vs non random argument is pointless. Realize that even if quantum mechanics is goverened by an outside, quantifiable set of parameters, you still can't tell the difference between that and the random events we can see. Thus it has no practical value. All experimental results suggest randomness, and they would still appear random in the same way to us even if they were controlled values.
This goes back to my first post, argument from ignorance. It doesn't particularly matter that human beings are incapable of understanding a form of order, it only matters that there is order or not. Since there very well could be order, there is no reason why there couldn't be order, and there is a large amount of suggestiveness that there is order, there is probably order.

If we're talking for purposes of psychology or in some bizarre enmeshment of physics and spirituality, then your statement can take us somewhere down that road.

As I said at the very beginning though, the picture we get of chaos as something 'real' is likely an illusion, caused by the fact that all the facts are not yet in.

Last edited by Kilroy_x; 03-8-2007 at 10:53 AM..
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
FoJaR
The Worst

^^^^^^^ what i am trying to say.
Old 03-8-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I understand that. It's still not practical.

From a practical point of view, random is taken to mean 'random for all practical purposes'. You achieve nothing by saying it is ordered, because I don't think quantum mechanics claims to be absolutely random in the first place.

The randomness occurs in particular because when ATTEMPTING TO MEASURE (this is key), i.e. observe a 'random' event, wave functions become entangled (I'm sure you've heard that observers change the outcome).

My point being, it will always be random with respect to measurement and observation. I think you're wrong when you say that it only matters if it is ordered or not, because otherwise I agree with you.