Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
aaron_reta
FFR Player

Default Thoughts on President Bush and Iraq

Currently the president plans to send more troops into Iraq. My opinion is that this is not a good plan. I support the troops being that my uncle is one. Although, I wonder how come we are not going after Osama Bin Laden. He is the one that sent terrorists in 9/11. The plan wasn't to make Iraq a democracy. Now we are stuck in a civil war and a struggle for power between two groups of people. This was increased when Saddam was executed and taken out of the picture.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
JasonKey
FFR Underseer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Thoughts on President Bush and Iraq

Your right on top of it dude.

Likely you will see more discussion .. but may be earlier in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
I will be fix this. No worries. It happened during a version upgrade.
Cheers,
Synthlight
Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
wickedawesomeful
Carls, Girls, & Drugs
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to wickedawesomeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_reta View Post
Currently the president plans to send more troops into Iraq. My opinion is that this is not a good plan. I support the troops being that my uncle is one. Although, I wonder how come we are not going after Osama Bin Laden. He is the one that sent terrorists in 9/11. The plan wasn't to make Iraq a democracy. Now we are stuck in a civil war and a struggle for power between two groups of people. This was increased when Saddam was executed and taken out of the picture.
Note that nobody refers to it as a "civil war" in politics though. Americans tend to shy away from interfering in "civil wars" statistically, and Bush dosen't want his already low approval rate to drop even further. And you're right, sending more troops into Iraq is a bad plan. We need to pull out.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
acknerr
FFR Player

Well, it always seems to be a grim situation in this war. I'll agree that going after Osama Bin Laden would be one of their better choices for I too support our troops and respect what they are doing for our country. They just have to find a good way to send squads of troops to find Osama and keep things under control the best they can in Iraq. Of course if it were up to me, I would just go Truman on their asses.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_reta View Post
Although, I wonder how come we are not going after Osama Bin Laden.
We can't unless Pakistan allows us to take him down over there.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedawesomeful View Post
Note that nobody refers to it as a "civil war" in politics though. Americans tend to shy away from interfering in "civil wars" statistically, and Bush dosen't want his already low approval rate to drop even further. And you're right, sending more troops into Iraq is a bad plan. We need to pull out.
What? USA has no qualms about being involved in a foreign civil war, so long as the belief is that we have something to gain (or something to lose if we don't).

The fact of the matter is that we (read: our government) caused this. To pull out before things are fixed is an even worse idea than the initial invasion was. We're so deep into this; we need to follow through to the end.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
SulferDragon
this is a waste of space
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SulferDragon

As my dad says, "Just nuke them."

The only thing that bugs me about the war is the fact that there's always a possibility of a draft. My 16th birthday is coming up soon, and this would be a bad time for a draft for me. I would seriously gimp myself out to avoid it if it did happen...

Old 01-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Dear God, there's not going to be a draft, nor was there EVER any concern of one arising.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #9
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I was opposed to the war in Iraq. I protested it. I knew the "WMDs" didn't exist, I knew Iraq had nothing to do with al-Qaeda. And now Iraq is a mess, and it's our fault and to pull out now would be devastating. I'm tired of giving a sh*t. Our President has the mentality of a toddler, and there's nothing we can do about it because a majority of Americans are dense as f*ck and re-elected him.

I'm sorry, but if still support this War and our President, you are stupid. If you want to dispute this, pm me.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

jewpin, are you suggesting a "**** 'em i dont care" type policy? I'm just as anti-war and anti-bush as anyone, but I still feel that we shouldn't just go "oops lol we messed up have fun with ur 'sectarian violence' which is really a civil war".
Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
TR_Tyler
FFR Player

i find he's an idiot but i don't care that much cus i'm canadian

Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Pulling out would be good idea, because even if we don't I just don't see situation improving anyway.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #13
sherbtail
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulferDragon View Post
As my dad says, "Just nuke them."

The only thing that bugs me about the war is the fact that there's always a possibility of a draft. My 16th birthday is coming up soon, and this would be a bad time for a draft for me. I would seriously gimp myself out to avoid it if it did happen...
So many insults, so little time...

"just nuke them", I actually feel like reaching through my screen and punching some sense into you, and your dad, nuking them would basically spell the end of the world as we know it.

And the draft thing, firstly, as Guido said, never going to happen. Secondly, grow some balls...
Old 01-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
Xandertrax
om nom nom

Send a message via AIM to Xandertrax
Exclamation Re: Thoughts on President Bush and Iraq

The draft will not happen. It's been tried to put through congress a few times by some random democrat, and it has been POUNDED down both times.

As for the new troops going into Iraq...

I think it is a STUPID idea. We have enough people over there already! If we put in another 21k, it'd bring it somewhere above 160k troops, the highest its been.

That many troops is simply not necessary. I think it is our responsibility to get the hell out of there as fast as we can. Although we can't just pull all our troops out at once, we can slowly siphen them out, until we have a minor effect on their country, and the Iraqis are actually running their own country for once.

Bush is an idiot to try and send more people over. We SOLVED the problem that we originally went into Iraq for.

His policies are just so SIMPLE MINDED.

Sure, we'll stay in Iraq longer and send more people over to look intimidating and calm them.

It's just like his immigration policy.

Sure, we'll build a huge fence along the boarder to keep people out.

you have GOT to be kidding me.

Plus, these 21k troops aren't just new people. One of my sister's best friends has had THREE tours of Iraq already, and is being called back for a fourth.

THAT IS NOT RIGHT. People serve their time. The congress needs to do something SOON.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Muffin Corruption
FFR Player

My favorite teacher in school had two tours of duty, then got called in for a third one. Then he died of injuries from an "explosion of unknown origin."

We don't need more troops over there.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
jewpin, are you suggesting a "**** 'em i dont care" type policy? I'm just as anti-war and anti-bush as anyone, but I still feel that we shouldn't just go "oops lol we messed up have fun with ur 'sectarian violence' which is really a civil war".
No, there is no "we" here. What I am saying is that I was against the war since the beginning. I had nothing to do with this f*cking war and I should not be held accountable for the actions of others. Iraq's a sh*t storm? Well, it's not my problem.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
Izzy-chandess
FFR Player

Bush is just a simple-minded ape and I wish I could deck him in the face but I am a peaceful creature and will restrain myself. HOWEVER!!! This whole "put more troops into Iraq" is extremely silly. We don't need more troops in there, this is not the middle ages, we have technology to go in there for us. It makes me wonder what kind of monkey is running this country.

I do see some logic in my dad's reasoning as to why Bush is in Iraq in the first place. He told me that Bush is just wanting to finish daddy's work or right his father's wrong with putting Saddam Hussein in power. I'm not so sure on that myself but I can see where Dad came to that conclusion.

It still doesn't fix the fact that Bush is a monkey and we will all be grateful for next election... if there are actually any good candidates. T_T

The world has gone crazy and so have I.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #18
talisman
Resident Penguin

Send a message via AIM to talisman

So bush's argument right now is essentially "We need a political solution but we won't get one without security. Long-term addition of troops." Democrats say "We need security, but we won't get it without a political solution. If we leave, the resulting pressure will force the Iraqi gov't to solve its own problems."

Personally, I'm not convinced either way will work. We'll see if additional troops in Baghdad can do anything by this summer. Surges have been tried before, but they've then largely failed after we left. So does that mean we have to stay there forever? Clearly, the Iraqi troops have to be better trained, and the reports I read about their competence (there was a great first hand account in the times a few days ago) make me pessimistic about this happening. And if we start to withdraw, I don't know how much more pressure the gov't can take. They already barely have enough Parliament members show up to actually pass legislation.

It's just a ****ty situation.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #19
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Iraq was a bad ****ing idea to begin with.

100 years ago, Britain tried to civilize the middle east. Between sending missionaries to preach the word of god and soldiers to quell the secular violence, they tried unsuccessfully to stop the fighting for decades before giving up and declaring it couldn't be done.

These stupid, ignorant groups of people have fought for hundreds of years, and we flatter ourselves to think that our involvement is suddenly going to make them shut up and stop fighting. If anything, we've escalated this war by removing whatever form of government that (while certainly far from perfect) economically supported and controlled it's people.

What, you think Iran's government is any less corrupt? Syria? Pakistan? Why aren't we liberating the people who actually live in third world countries? Say what you want about Saddam and his panache for executing political opponents, but the man knew how to run a government, and he did a lot of really good things for that country.

It might have also helped if Bush could, for two ****ing seconds, stick to his guns about the actual reason we're there. Let's see. This seems to be Bush's game plan.

1. Convince America of pseudo-connection to 9/11. Fabricate one if neccessary, nobody will remember in two years anyway.
2. Kick the **** out of Saddam. Gotta have us a good 'ol Texas hanging (and a scapegoat).
3. Remove the only tangible form of government those people have ever known.
4. Escalate violence between sects, start civil war.
5. Increase troops and listen to nobody's advice but your own, including the wishes of the American people whose lives you're wasting.
6. ???
7. Profit

Moron.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #20
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedawesomeful View Post
If we pull out, is there any chance of extremists attacking US soil? That's what I'm curious about.

When I first heard about us invading Iraq, it was to disarm Saddam and his "followers", which (Now that I actually have some sense) I didn't have any major problems with. If my memory is right, excuse after excuse after excuse became to pile up, 'till the middle east was a complete war zone. Now that we're knee-deep, I think that Bush finds that sending more troops will end the war (Correct me if I made a fault in my grammar) quicker.

Quote:
We don't need more troops in there, this is not the middle ages, we have technology to go in there for us.
All organized nations are to "abide" by the laws of war, which means that we shouldn't carry out unnecessary destruction, whether it's intentional or not. If we did that, we'd have to make up for that mess in addition to the mess we've already created.

I'm not supporting the additional men or going against it, but my main thought is that I'd hate to be in Bush's situation. The entire nation, those that love him and hate him, are basically watching his every move.......

Closed Thread