Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Lucifericrucifix
Pathogen.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Lucifericrucifix
Default Instrumentalists! Particular, Drummers.

If you are in question, I simply made a thread here to help bring a small community together assuming we even have enough people to contribute to this thread.

In short, I'd like to build a community like I said that can freely talk about drums and educate each other in different styles, techniques, equipment, all sorts of things.

This is no exclusive to those who play, those who wish to play as well are welcome, anyone with an interest.

So..If such applies to you, than list some of the following.

-How long have you been playing?
-Type of kit? Or if you play marching, that's applicable.
-What got you into this instrument in particular?
-What would you like to learn or gain knowledge of?

Add any other useful information as well. I'm here to help anyone who seeks the help and willing to ask for advice for anything I may be unclear on, none of us are perfect.

So with that stated I'll enter a little about me.

-I've been playing for roughly 3-4ish years.
-I wanted to play something that seemed less common. (As guitar seemed rather popular and I didn't want to become "Just another guitarist") Music as well of course early influences and then hearing that "Drummers always work the hardest" which always inspired me to want to do it.
-I'd like to learn a bit more on Basa/Afro-Basa rhythms and timing using 2/3 with stationary pedals and what not. I'd also like to learn a bit about marching technique.
-As for kit, it's a DW with pearl hardware..Paiste and Sabian (Dark predominantly) cymbals. Axis pedals.

Hopefully this goes somewhere,
Cheers.
"What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith in God is absurd, since it is impossible to know, or understand His purpose."

Last edited by Lucifericrucifix; 01-23-2007 at 09:34 PM..
Lucifericrucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter
Default Re: Instrumentalists! Particular, Drummers.

-1 year and half
-Cheap-ass CB drums
-Originally my brother's drumset, I figured since he didn't use it anymore I would
-Technical stuff, mostly how to control my feet with the second pedal (or a second bass drum :P). Also, how to do a roll with one hand (omfg! I'm not Buddy Rich!)

If you need more...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Lucifericrucifix
Pathogen.
FFR Veteran

Haha, that's great. I can teach you how to do gravity blasts (Freehand technique, the rabb thing) and make a video for you as well. ..Or the harder technique for something more solid which is finger blasting..so to speak. I can hit 260 8th notes on one hand like that..

CB aren't bad, just beat them in and eventually they sound alright.
"What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith in God is absurd, since it is impossible to know, or understand His purpose."
Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
wickedawesomeful
Carls, Girls, & Drugs
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to wickedawesomeful

-Three months or so
-Cheap-ass Verve set
-Originally a keyboardist, moved to guitar, and decided I'd get a basic knowledge of all the instruments usually found in a rock band and wound up liking the drums

Mainly I'm just working on basic playing. I'm super-super new to the drums, so right now I'm just working on the basics.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Sh4d0wD3v1L
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Sh4d0wD3v1L

Playing for 12 years....
I'm 17... *lol?*
Seriously.

Anyways, I don't really have much of a kit/set due to lack of funds, and I don't play much set anymore. I'm more into marching percussion I play multi-tom (3-6 depending on what is needed) snare (poorly at best.) and bass (because if you can't, why bother.)

Got into it by complete accident. My dad needed guitar strings, and this guy was offering drum lessons. Being 5 and open to anything, I did it.

I want to figure out how to get a 7pc set for less than a grand
And I also want to learn how to play it..well...

Last edited by Sh4d0wD3v1L; 01-23-2007 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: typing is bad.
Sh4d0wD3v1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to scorpio1690 Send a message via MSN to scorpio1690

Nine years
Shitty Yamaha set that I've had since I started.
I've always been into things with beats. Drumming got me into things like techno and other similar genres.
Not much I want to learn. I don't play frequently anymore, a couple times a month, if that. Always wanted a double kicker though, never tried one yet.
scorpio1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

This topic title should say "Instrumentalists AND drummers".
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Lucifericrucifix
Pathogen.
FFR Veteran

Mm, perhaps. More so just percussion in general.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

I'm going to take up the mallets (xylophone) next year. Our band teacher, Mr. Egan, says I probably won't be able to catch up. I have good experience with the piano and I have really bad judgment, so naturally I disagreed with him, but whatever. There's supposedly a full year course just on percussion next year which he did suggest that I take. I didn't see it in the book we got for elective choices, and my guidance counselor is absolutely horrible so she'll have an argument with me about it and **** up my schedule somehow, but I'll see what I can do.

See you 9 months from now.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Instrument: Drums
Years Played: Four
Kit: Pearl Target drums. All symbols are Sabien.
Reason for playing: Didn't even pick it, to be honest. Was assigned to drums, playing dull beats in my elementary school band, and then in middle school I started liking them and got some of my own.
Path: I'm delving deep into rock and funk beats for the most part, and intend on getting incredibly advanced at them. Besides that, different times really interest me, and I'm looking into them now.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
drummerlsu
Geaux Tigers
FFR Veteran

I've been playing drums for twelve years. Mostly school bands - marching, concert bands, percussion ensembles, jazz bands. Marching band was my favorite by far.

One of my many favorite experiences was being the designated bass drummer that "taps" the band onto the field for pregame. Having 80-90k people clap along to your beat is pretty incredible.

I have a cheap yamaha kit that I can't play because I live in an apartment, but I'll bring it back out in a couple of years.
drummerlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifericrucifix View Post
Haha, that's great. I can teach you how to do gravity blasts (Freehand technique, the rabb thing) and make a video for you as well. ..Or the harder technique for something more solid which is finger blasting..so to speak. I can hit 260 8th notes on one hand like that..

CB aren't bad, just beat them in and eventually they sound alright.
Oh, please do! haha
Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
psychopete
Quite electrifying.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychopete

Instruments: Alto Sax, Baritone Sax, B-Flat Clarinet, Oboe
How Long: 6 years (Alto Sax), 4 years (Baritone Sax), 2 years (Clarinet), 6 months (Oboe)
Reason: Originally, I just played music as a hobby, but I then realized that I'm better at music than at academics (even though I'm in the top 10% of my class), so I'm pursuing a musical career later in life (I want to get performance degrees, but I also might want to end up teaching music).
psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 AM   #14
Lucifericrucifix
Pathogen.
FFR Veteran

Top 10% is pretty impressive. I took two years of Theory..Not sure if I'll ever use it to such a great extent, but it's good to know. I would use it with other instruments especially Piano but, not so much percussion mainly in particular the drums.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Hepcat06
FFR Player

-Drums
-Year and a half.
-TRAK...probably never heard of it. it's decent
-Needed something to do with my hands. Started off playing snare in band class. Needed something bigger and better.
-The theory stuff is going great. Need to get my rudiment speeds up, and my bass drum speed is lagging.