Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-3-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Thumbs up Help on AAA ing songs

Hi I'm brand new to the forums and pretty new to FFR (a little more than a week now) and I've FC'ed a few songs: secret zombie room, blank knowing, one last battle.

So now I'm wanting to be able to AAA a song. I have some major troubles with this. Only once have I not had an AVERAGE, and i normally have around 30-50 greats. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. yes i use two hands, incase any of you were going to ask that.

Jugglinguy
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Help on AAA ing songs

Just keep playing, as you play more you will improve.

Getting good at anything takes time and practice.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

Screenshrink, practice, and some good songs to try to AAA are these:
01 (A) SuperMario 8Bit Eighties Remix (174 Notes / BPM 140)
01 (D) Trip To The Moon (Club Remix) (143 Notes / BPM 135)

[1/6 - For Beginners]
02 (H) Seattle's Finest (169 Notes / BPM 82)
02 (D) Dance 2 This (161 Notes / BPM 140)
03 (D) Halcyon (150 Notes / BPM 90)
04 (H) Love You Anymore (120 Notes / BPM 96)
Old 01-3-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
fastfingers65
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to fastfingers65 Send a message via MSN to fastfingers65

Improve your PA (perfect attack) by SDG'ing(single digit goods or greats) songs like like alpha helix,kick it and crystalis house leaves.I hope this helps you.
fastfingers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers65 View Post
Improve your PA (perfect attack) by SDG'ing(single digit goods or greats) songs like like alpha helix,kick it and crystalis house leaves.I hope this helps you.
So basically you are telling him to have better accuracy by having better accuracy.

Do you read what you write or do you just close your eyes and hope for the best?

In order to improve accuracy you play more, you keep improving. You try a song and get 20 goods, you try it again and again (with other songs too) and finally get 17 goods, and you keep doing this getting better and better. Though this could take weeks or months or even years to see vast improvements.
Old 01-3-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
rshadow8888
FFR's Buizel
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rshadow8888

lol, i would close my eyes and hope for the best too, but I can't type well enough to not look at the screen.
Oh, and I find that it helps to play a song through a couple times, get the melody stuck in your head, and have your fingers hit the keys accordingly. Well actually to do that you have to practice so this all goes back to the practice makes perfect saying.
rshadow8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Hollywood13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

the best advice i can give you on single song improvements is to 1) play the song repeatedly, some ppl call it whoring 2) work on the song in terms of pieces (which means trying to combo easy sections and then gunning for harder interlude pieces kinda like in neo max) 3)keep a beat running in ur head or with ur foot 4)screenshrinking helps too 5)practice lots lol
Hollywood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GamerShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
So basically you are telling him to have better accuracy by having better accuracy.

Do you read what you write or do you just close your eyes and hope for the best?

In order to improve accuracy you play more, you keep improving. You try a song and get 20 goods, you try it again and again (with other songs too) and finally get 17 goods, and you keep doing this getting better and better. Though this could take weeks or months or even years to see vast improvements.
You apparently didn't read what you were saying either. Whoring a song alone mindlessely doesn't improve PA. You analize what happens during a song, and for any goods, boos, misses, etc. that you get, you say to yourself, "Was I too early hitting that note? Am I hitting the wrong rhythm? Did I accidently hit an extra note?" That's what improves PA.
Old 01-6-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerShadow View Post
You apparently didn't read what you were saying either. Whoring a song alone mindlessely doesn't improve PA.
Yeah because I got my good accuracy through blind luck and faith. Read what I wrote.

Quote:
In order to improve accuracy you play more, you keep improving. You try a song and get 20 goods, you try it again and again (with other songs too)
I did not say to whore the same song again and again, I said you play it again and again with other songs. I.E. You play CIA RAVE, you play other songs, you come back to CIA RAVE when you want, you keep doing this anytime you want to play it and the more you play it the more comfortable you get with how the song works and how to hit it.

Accuracy takes a lot of effort, more so on stepmania, but still, it is essentially through improving by playing lots of songs, but also from playing the same song more than once.
Old 01-6-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
wickedawesomeful
Carls, Girls, & Drugs
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to wickedawesomeful

Practice, practice, practice. The more you'll play, the better you'll get. Also, I've found wearing headphones definately helps, you can hear the beat much more clearly. When that's not available, I usually put my feet on my subwoofer so I can feel the beat.

I guess that sounds weird, but hey, it works for me...
Old 01-6-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedawesomeful View Post
Also, I've found wearing headphones definately helps, you can hear the beat much more clearly.
It's strange but I find that not wearing headphones helps me. I find it easier to match my keytaps to the arrows I'm hitting to see how accurate I am actually being and then fixing that accordingly.

Hey, whatever works for you.
Old 01-6-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
ubercreep361
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ubercreep361

Sometimes I try out the harder song and wen i get back to the easier ones, i do better
Old 01-7-2007, 05:19 AM   #13
DeathChurch
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DeathChurch Send a message via MSN to DeathChurch Send a message via Yahoo to DeathChurch

One thing that's helped me (though I'm still new) is to memorize and recognize the sound the keys make when you press and release them. It helps me with timing, each key will make a *click* when you press it, and a slightly softer *pop* when you release it.

When you can listen to the sounds of the song you're playing and the sound the keys make you'll get a kind of rythm going, similar to tapping a foot, but more helpful, i've found.
DeathChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
Blox
FFR Player

Also, if you're just starting you may be playing some of the first-added whacked out songs that don't follow the rhythm 100%. Don't get discouraged on every song if the notes you get "good" on seem a frame early or late because they actually MIGHT be a frame early or late.

Then again, don't use that as an excuse often because that only applies to a handful of songs .
Blox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
Yeah because I got my good accuracy through blind luck and faith. Read what I wrote.

I did not say to whore the same song again and again, I said you play it again and again with other songs. I.E. You play CIA RAVE, you play other songs, you come back to CIA RAVE when you want, you keep doing this anytime you want to play it and the more you play it the more comfortable you get with how the song works and how to hit it.

Accuracy takes a lot of effort, more so on stepmania, but still, it is essentially through improving by playing lots of songs, but also from playing the same song more than once.
The memorization of a song does not take blind luck... you have to read the patterns, and remember the rhythms and shapes of the stepfile. It's almost a second nature thing to memorize a song, but you also have to go over what you did wrong, and correct it.

Thread Creator: If you are reading this, you're getting some very good tips on how to AAA a song. Just letting you in.
Old 01-7-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Where did I say to memorise a song? Hell, some of my best scores come on the first or second attempts of a song because I'm not going on memory I'm going on instinct.

If you expect the arrows too much then you aren't playing fluidly, you are more tense about getting it right. Working on instinct tends to do better. That's why people tell you to relax, some even think of other things.

Remembering the steps to a song /= having better accuracy.
Old 01-7-2007, 11:35 AM   #17
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Read the second paragraph of my last quote from you.

My AAA's come in the first or second try as well. (I only have 4, but you get the point.) However, I had to memorize Kick It in order to bring it down to 4 goods for the Unofficial FFR tourney.

Therefore, remembering steps to song = better scores.
Old 01-7-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Thread Creator: If you are reading this, you're getting some very good tips on how to AAA a song. Just letting you in.
Yes i am reading this. I wouldn't create a thread to not read it.

BTW thank you all for all your help with this. I'm getting dangerously close to AAA ing blank knowing.
Old 01-7-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Therefore, remembering steps to song = better scores.
Each to their own. Oh and I have 220 stepmania AAA's and 4 AAAA's. Never memorising any of them.

The best way to get a better score is just to improve in general skill. Seriously.
Old 01-7-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Quote:
However, I had to memorize Kick It in order to bring it down to 4 goods for the Unofficial FFR tourney.
There are FFR tourneys? Where and when?!