Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #41
XXXsmittyXXX
Anxiety monster
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to XXXsmittyXXX Send a message via Skype™ to XXXsmittyXXX
Default Re: My SAT scores =O

Damn i never realized how smart you guys are
I Never took the SAT tests. i took adult education instead because im a dumbass and i couldnt pass any high school classes lmao
87 absences didnt help either.
Too smart for me
Old 12-24-2006, 01:26 AM   #42
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

1230 in the 8th grade, 1450 when I took it for real. Not nearly enough of a jump imo >_>
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #43
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

What is the consensus on the ACT vs SAT?

I'm going to take the ACT at least once regardless, but I was wondering how most of you feel about it.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #44
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancingmaniac3

I took both just in case one score really blowed, the other one could back it up. Technically, the ACT is a little bit easier than the SAT as far as complexity and difficulty of questions. Only downside is the ACT's sections are longer, some containing about 60-70 questions while the SAT's max is 35. Don't be fooled though, theres about 10 sections on the SAT while theres only about 4 or 5 on the ACT, so the time length is nearly the same. The essay portion for the ACT (if you decide to take it) has a somewhat easier prompt and is more practical for a college essay. My prompt from the December ACT essay was about homework, and if it should be assigned to students.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #45
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
What is the consensus on the ACT vs SAT?

I'm going to take the ACT at least once regardless, but I was wondering how most of you feel about it.
I'd say the ACT is easier. Conversions from ACT to SAT usually inflate SAT scores. Which is a good thing...!

dancingmaniac3, I can't explain, because I don't know. What I was saying was that I don't think the scores are based purely on percentile. It wouldn't make sense because you would get what is called the 'ceiling effect' (a common problem on IQ tests)...which essentially means scores start to increase exponentially for each question you answer correctly as you approach the highest possible score on the test. There are measures to counter a ceiling effect, but it's easier to give raw scores for grades, because it would cause oodles of other problems due to the structure of the system.

So there must be some sort of linear grading system to keep it fair, IE questions have certain values.

Edit from College Board:

First, a raw score is calculated: one point is added for each multiple-choice question answered correctly. Omitted questions receive no points. For multiple-choice questions answered incorrectly, 1/4 point is subtracted. No points are subtracted for incorrect answers to the SAT math questions requiring student-produced responses. Questions in the SAT equating section do not count toward the score. Then, the total points answered wrong are subtracted from the number answered correctly. If the resulting score is a fraction, it is rounded to the nearest whole number -- 1/2 or more is rounded up; less than 1/2 is rounded down.

Next, the raw score is converted to the College Board 200-to-800 scaled score by a statistical process called equating. Equating adjusts for slight differences in difficulty between test editions, and ensures that a student's score on one edition of a test reflects the same ability as a score of 450 on another edition of the test and that a student's score does not depend on how well others did on the same edition of the test.

Last edited by Reach; 12-24-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #46
3D OGRE 1
FFR Player

What it comes down to is that the SAT and ACT really don't matter except for getting into an established university. MCAT's and/or grades in college no matter where you attend, if you do well, will get you a good job anywhere.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #47
chickendude
Away from Computer
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to chickendude

lets see
1410 in 8th grade (800 math 610 verbal)

PSAT (10th grade)
650 verbal 800 math 650 writing

PSAT (11th grade)
650 verbal 800 math 730 writing

Full length practice test
680 verbal 800 math 730 writing

I'm taking it for real on January 28th

as you can probably tell
I'm a math guy
Old 12-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #48
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Looks like you're going to get above 2000 on the SAT. Your math and writing alone is impressive, i'm sure your composite score will be around 1400 (math and reading/verbal)
Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #49
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Take the ACT. The ACT is accepted by all save one college (and a no-name one at that), and it's a lot less painful. There's been a lot of discussion as to how ambiguous the SAT questions are, and how the ACT is a better indicator of college readiness (simple yet comprehensive scoring and sections). Even though the new and "improved" SAT is better received than the old tests, many believe that the ACT still does a better job over all. And, you're not going to burn out taking it, which is very easy to do taking the SAT. Remember, this is all based on what I've read; I've only taken the ACT. In the Midwest, the ACT is emphasized and encouraged as the test. New England and Atlantic Coast high schools still encourage the SAT for some reason... maybe because it's the "original" test?

Some colleges require the SAT Subject Tests, but unless you really need to, I recommend taking the ACT. And, for the record, I was going to take the SAT, but after my mother and I read up on it, and researched my college choices, I decided not to.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"

Last edited by nforcer06164; 12-24-2006 at 12:51 PM..
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #50
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

A lot of colleges in my area require an SAT score to get into, almost like a standard just to even APPLY for college. I sent in an application to Texas State earlier than usual, just to at least get my name in the system to show that i'm somewhat interested, and they sent me a reply letter stating that my SAT scores are required to even be considered eligible for enrollment. Oddly enough, I researched the SAT among other colleges in Texas and found out nearly 90% of the schools I was interested in required the SAT, and that the ACT was optional but could not be used as a substitute. In theory, it makes perfect sense to only accept scores of the "harder" test, to actually force students to undergo a screening process before the college can even think about accepting them; but the ACT is a lot more realistic as far as college materialistic questions and test taking skills, such as process of elimination and educated guess responses with limited data available.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #51
waffydude
FFR Player

1260/1600 first time
1400/1600 second time
which I think was around the 95th percentile or so.

140 point increase, with no extra studying or classes of any sort either time. and I think I tried equally hard both times, too. kinda weird.

But yeah, once you get into a college and get whatever scholarships or whatever it may earn you, it doesn't matter anyway.
waffydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #52
WillTalbot
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WillTalbot Send a message via MSN to WillTalbot Send a message via Yahoo to WillTalbot

im not even in HS yet rofl no sat for me
WillTalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #53
DDR_Jerred
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: North Carolina (It sucks, especially being from up north...)
Send a message via AIM to DDR_Jerred Send a message via MSN to DDR_Jerred

I'm in 10th grade and I got 1820 my first time ever... the second time I got 1850.

First Place Winner of Blazze's Advanced Unofficial Tournament! (By less than a good :P)

Average rank - 157.16509433962ish

MP level - 22ish

MP rank - 18ish

AAA's - Only 88 so far
(89 including tokens)

Latest AAA - FFR
DDR_Jerred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #54
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

i take the SAT this year and im nervous
FRANKKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #55
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Ha, don't be nervous. It's only a 45 dollar test that could decide which college you are going to end up at, which will only set an outlook for the rest of your life...no big deal.

</sarcasm>
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #56
CartoonHero94
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to CartoonHero94

Thats actually good, my cousin got 1950
CartoonHero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #57
paperflowers11
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to paperflowers11

I have a friend who got a 900 TOTAL on hers. Good thing she didn't want to go to college anyway....No, instead she's moving to Oregon at the end of the school year and living with her fiance who got expelled from HIS prep school and didn't go anywhere else. I think she's the only one in my class not going to college. Statistic ruiner! I don't see why she's not going to college, she did go 3 years to a COLLEGE PREP school...
paperflowers11 is offline   Reply With Quote