Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-8-2009, 02:44 AM   #30
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: My latest infatuation with logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer-sp View Post
Should I bother doing so? Are people actually interested in being open minded and discussing the validity of certain thoughts?
Open mindedness in critical thinking only goes so far. When you ask that outlandish, unverifiable claims be accepted as a given before even beginning discussion, you're setting yourself up for a hellish maelstrom. You have no problem accepting these things as a given since you already accept them in your personal beliefs, but others who do not share your beliefs simply find them unreasonable and without logical backing.

Don't walk into a house of logic and tell us that we need to take unverifiable stated assumptions as a given. We will eat you. Then throw words at you until you give up.

Quote:
Would I be wrong in saying that most of the posts in this thread have not tried seeing any validity in what has been discussed?
There is no point to attempting to rationalize religion, which is what you were talking about from the beginning. Religion is about having faith in the unverifiable, sometimes even in the face of contrary evidence. To attempt to reason it is to miss the point entirely. I've told you this many times and others have alluded to this as well. If you're going to have faith in something, have faith in it. Talking logic and reason in the area of theology is just ****ing retarded. You won't get anywhere with it. All you'll do is miss the point of faith and get a bunch of atheists pissed off at you.

Again, I want to point you to humanistic atheism, also called secular humanism. Give it a look see. Gives you all the good points that a religion can give you, without unverifiable claims that must be accepted without proof. There is no invisible man in space controlling anything or creating anything, but it still can give your life structure and meaning... except that in fact, it is yourself giving your life structure and meaning. I guess the real point is not to worship some external, invisible, unmeasurable being that easily doesn't even exist, look internally at yourself and decide what is right for yourself.

Basically, it is religion minus the affront to reason. Religion itself is not fundamentally bad, but when it makes a person question reason, when it makes a person do illogical things, when it makes a person use fault logic to uphold their beliefs, it is.

ps squeek is right, you cannot make a thread saying "I love logic and god is logical but dont make this a thread about religion." If you say "god is logical" I will be there to throw words, and you better believe that others like Squeek or Reach will be there to throw good, reasoned arguments at you as well.