Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Verruckter
    FFR Player
    • Apr 2004
    • 2707

    #16
    Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

    Originally posted by mead1
    Yeah, I didn't like the first one much either. Believe me though, it really picks up. If you get through the Drawing of the Three and still don't like it, give up. But you will like it, so no worries.
    The end of the first one was decent. I bought another book before finishing it, though, so I'm going to finish this one before I start the second Dark Towers.

    I did like the fight between Roland and his master and the little chat with the Man in Black.
    Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
    Image removed for size violation.

    Comment

    • Gun92
      The Paragon of Perfection
      • Aug 2006
      • 4826

      #17
      Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

      If you have the chance, go out and buy the graphic novel, its very very good

      Comment

      • Verruckter
        FFR Player
        • Apr 2004
        • 2707

        #18
        Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

        I just bought and started the second novel. Will post thought when I'm done in two or three days.
        Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
        Image removed for size violation.

        Comment

        • TheRapingDragon
          A car crash mind
          • Aug 2005
          • 9788

          #19
          Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

          Only read the first book (due to money restraints) but I plan on reading them all eventually. Pretty good book but definitely not his best.

          Comment

          • Verruckter
            FFR Player
            • Apr 2004
            • 2707

            #20
            Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

            Just finished the second book.. The beginning was awesome, but the rest was way too long. As soon as he starts dragging Detta and all that.. and then with the third door... Meh, could of been better. Sometimes I had to force myself to read and that's definately not a good thing.
            Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
            Image removed for size violation.

            Comment

            • rajan530
              FFR Player
              • Nov 2007
              • 5

              #21
              Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

              Originally posted by Verruckter
              Just finished the second book.. The beginning was awesome, but the rest was way too long. As soon as he starts dragging Detta and all that.. and then with the third door... Meh, could of been better. Sometimes I had to force myself to read and that's definately not a good thing.
              Yeah man, Eddies part was good. Odetta and Detta's part sucks, Just wait until you start the third book, IMO, it's my favorite :3

              Comment

              • Verruckter
                FFR Player
                • Apr 2004
                • 2707

                #22
                Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                Yep, just done reading the third and now I've started the fourth. So far the third was definitely the best of them.
                Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
                Image removed for size violation.

                Comment

                • Verruckter
                  FFR Player
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 2707

                  #23
                  Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                  Bump/double post

                  but it's for a good reason: an awesome series of books.

                  I've just finished reading the fifth book, and it was excellent. One of the aspects was predictable (regarding Benny Slightman), others dissapointing (the much too small explaination of what happens to the roont children).

                  Overall, though, with the rose and the wolves, amazing. The fourth book was very good too, I must say, and it did me fine, ye ken. I loved the story between Roland and his love. A bit cheesy at times, but great nonetheless. Also, nice demonstrations of the gunslinger's power

                  Overall, I must say so far my favorite books are 3>5>4>1>2

                  Just started the 6th, it's pretty short so I'll be done soon.
                  Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
                  Image removed for size violation.

                  Comment

                  • mead1
                    Cerebellumberjack
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 3960

                    #24
                    Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                    but I loved the second book

                    Comment

                    • Verruckter
                      FFR Player
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 2707

                      #25
                      Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                      Originally posted by mead1
                      but I loved the second book
                      I didn't like Detta and The Pusher's parts, to be honest. Eddies was the best, though.
                      Truth lies in loneliness, When hope is long gone by -Blind Guardian, The Soulforged
                      Image removed for size violation.

                      Comment

                      • s0ulst0n3
                        <SPACE FOR RENT>
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 2076

                        #26
                        Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                        I finished reading the final book 4 or 5 weeks ago, and I was extremely disappointed with the ending. I won't give any spoilers, but I was expecting a lot better. By far, I loved the 5th book the most (Wolves of Calla), say thankya.

                        Cry your pardon Mead, by I found the 4th book to be great. The story of Rolands past was so good. The stories of him and his friends (I personally LOVED Cuthbert). I guess not everyone liked the same things.

                        The Detta/Odetta parts were annoying, but I admit the 2nd book was one of my favourites.

                        I didn't like the 6th book in the series though (Song of Susannah). It was basically for the most part, filler. The final book was decent, but like I said .. the ending ....

                        DON'T HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE ENDING!!!! IF YOU DON'T MIND, HIGHLIGHT THE BELOW WHITE TEXT:

                        Oy's death was the toughest for me. I would have thought Jake's would have been since he's my favourite character, but man, how many times can one kid die in a book! I found it funny that Jake died the same way he did in his when, basically. Except he saved King this time around. What I didn't like about the ending was how he forgot the dumb horn and had to start everything over again. Lame. =P
                        PM me if you want to rent my custom title. :3
                        ~Far too many years of chaos and unrest, far too many voices brutally supressed!~

                        Comment

                        • devonin
                          Very Grave Indeed
                          Community Manager
                          Event Staff
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 10120

                          #27
                          Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                          The Gunslinger was the only good book in the whole series. Most people I know liked every book -but- Gunslinger, and I was given to understand that King was considering re-writing Gunslinger to be more thematically in line with the rest of the series. I'm quite happy to just hold onto the first book and forget the rest exist. Like I did with Terminator movies past 2, Highlanders past 1, and Aliens past 3.

                          Comment

                          • Shenlon
                            FFR Player
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 28

                            #28
                            Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                            The dark tower was pretty good on the whole, but it had it's moments where I didn't find it terribly enjoying. But if you're a fan of the series, or a lover of good comics anywhere, I highly, HIGHLY recommend Darktower: the gunslinger born. It's a seven issue mini series (comic book) and the artwork is GORGEOUS and the story sets itself up as a prequel to the first book. It's really good.

                            Comment

                            • rajan530
                              FFR Player
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 5

                              #29
                              Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                              Sorry to Necro this thread. Its been a while since I've been on here.
                              Anyways I'm about halfway through the last book.

                              So far, these past 2 books have been ****in amazing.

                              Comment

                              • NFD
                                FFR Player
                                • Nov 2007
                                • 4715

                                #30
                                Re: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower Series

                                It should take a week to read each book at most.

                                Comment

                                Working...