Before the day was done, Steven caught up on the entire goings on inside of the rest station, up to and including the biting of Fichter, who was still on his “A” game. Quiet desperation filled the back area of the car as Angela struggled to stay hidden and silent with a cramp growing in her leg; as Eric stewed about how to handle the situation of an infected friend.
His opportunity to deal with the problem came later that night, after they had decided to call it a day and sleep on the side of the road, lighting a fire. Eric volunteered to be watchman, although he knew exactly what he was going to do, and it wasn’t necessarily watch.
Everyone lay passed out around the fire as Eric stole away back to the car, opening the hatch with the utmost care so as not to wake the others. He grabbed a satchel charge, carefully unclasping the clasp and flipping the tan covering off, revealing plastic explosives and a carefully placed set of syringes.
“What are you doing?”
Damn. Eric had forgotten Angela was staying with the car.
“Making sure we have explosives.”
“You know we have explosives, Eric. What are you doing?”
Eric sighed. “Taking care of business. Working overtime.”
“Wait-“ her voice was cut off as he swung the gate shut loudly, slinging the charge over his shoulder. Gopher stirred, reaching for his gun, but did not awaken. Steven was fast asleep and Fichter had broken into a fever at some point in the night. Had he been awake, he would have killed himself despite the protest of everyone in the car.
It was Fichter’s belief that Eric could learn stick shift and driving the rest of the way to Arizona would be no problem. If not Eric, then Steven, although Eric seemed like the natural choice to replace Fichter as driver. But no matter, he was asleep now, dreaming human dreams and none the wiser as Eric crept up to him.
Eric removed one of the syringes from the satchel and grabbed Fichter’s arm quietly, in the darkness, trying to find the vein. Fichter opened his eyes as Eric plunged the needle into the arm of the half asleep young man.
“HEY! WHAT IS THAT!”
“You had a bee on you, and I just,” he tossed the syringe into the fire behind himself, “Swatted it away. It must have bitten you already, or stung you or something. Guess I failed as the watchman, huh? Let a bee into the encampment?”
Fichter rolled over, unsatisfied with the answer. Bees took it upon themselves during Fichter’s youth to sting him several times, especially after he rolled his lawnmower over a nest that was carefully hidden in a pile of leaves. What he felt did not feel at all like a bee stinger shooting into his skin. It felt like a liquid had been forced into one of his veins, but it didn’t matter. “Maybe he’s trying to kill me in my sleep,” Fichter thought to himself, closing his eyes again. “Save me the trouble.” Those were his last thoughts before sleep overtook him once again.
The light in the wagon turned on as Angela climbed over the seat and opened the back door, stepping out into the night. She carefully made her way to Eric, silently sitting on a rock, gun over his lap, watching the flames dance in the night.
“Eric, what was that?”
“What was what?”
“What was in the bag of explosives?”
“Explosives, now get back in the car before you wake everyone up.”
“What did you do to Fichter? Did you kill him?”
“No. Go back to the car, please.”
“Tell me what the hell is going on!”
Gopher rolled over into the fire, eyes shooting open as the flame began to eat at his shirt. He screamed in anguish, rolling back over on the dirt several times, extinguishing the flame. Eric and Angela watched silently as the giant put the flames out.
“Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Hey, Eric. Angela. Did you see that? I was on fire!”
Eric couldn’t speak; he nodded, barely able to muster the strength to do that. Fear hadn’t taken him for Gopher’s safety, but it was only a matter of time before he realized that there was one more person with them then they had taken off with. What doesn’t belong here?
“Three, two, one,” Eric thought, closing his eyes and waiting.
“HEY! ANGELA! What are you doing here?” Gopher boomed, waking Steven up.
“Bingo,” Eric smiled grimly, rising to his feet.
“Angela? What are you doing out here? I thought we left you back at the base?”
“You did, but I didn’t want to stay. First…”
“Stop,” Steven interrupted. “Why are you here? What are you doing? Are you trying to get yourself killed? What are you doing? Why do you even want to be out here?”
“Steven, stop,” Angela answered. “First, I wanted to come along. I didn’t have any say in the matter. You all acted like I can’t protect myself. Well I can. I don’t need you, Steven, to baby me and fawn over me and worry over me all the time. I’m not your property, so you can back off.”
Steven began to speak, but caught the words in his mouth as Angela made a quick hand motion for silence.
“I didn’t want to sit back in some base and wonder if the person I loved was coming back. I couldn’t take the stress that comes along with the job of waiting, and I think you could appreciate that, Steven, of all people. You all didn’t even know how to get to Arizona before I told Eric-“
Eric winced.
“To take I-55.”
“Eric knew? Since when? Eric, how long have you known?”
“I’m just as surprised as you are, Steven.”
“Bullshit. How long have you known.”
“Since we set out. I saw her in the back and didn’t say anything. Didn’t want to cause any trouble, Steven.”
“Didn’t want to cause trouble? Oh, all right, good. Keep on then, don’t clue us in on anything, Eric. Please, continue to keep secrets from the group, because God knows that we need to be hiding information from each other this late in the game.”
Fichter sat up. “Would you all please shut up, I’m trying to- ANGELA?!”
“Yes, Fichter, my wife is here. Isn’t that a happy coincidence? I thought she was safe back at the base, and here she comes, hiding from-“
“Safe at the base? Are you a moron? You were going to leave me with Fife, and if you hadn’t noticed, he wasn’t exactly the sanest person I had ever met. He might be fine, but do you want to take that risk with me, your wife?”
Gopher leaned over to Fichter, whispering in his ear, “Oh, looks like they’re having a spat. Maybe we should give them a little room.” Fichter chuckled.
“I just didn’t want you to get hurt, Angela. For the love of God, Fichter has been bitten, Eric has been attacked-“
“Since when has that been new?”
“Eric has been attacked, Gopher has been attacked, and I’m the lucky one here. I didn’t think we would make it back, and I didn’t want to put you through that. Now, we have to take you back before you get hurt.”
Fichter rose to his feet, growing dizzy as he stood. “We can’t do that. We’re already a few days out here. Taking her back would just be too much right now, considering I probably won’t be around for the return trip,” he pointed at his scar, which had stopped oozing.
“We have to vote, then,” Steven said, all of a sudden becoming democratic. It was a fruitful attempt to rectify the situation that he had considered extremely bad that had just gone to worse. “We’ll vote, majority rules, and then we send her back or she stays. Alright, who wants her to go back?”
Gopher and Steven raised their hands.
Eric laughed. “Gopher, why do you want her to go back?”
“Oh, I don’t really. I just knew you guys were going to win the vote and I didn’t want Steven to feel all alone on the matter.”
Steven released a frustrated grunt and sat down on the ground, grabbing a stick and poking the fire. “Alright, but if something happens to you, you can’t hold me, Eric, Fichter or Gopher responsible. Whatever happens, you’re bringing it down on yourself.”
Angela sighed. “Nothing is going to happen to me, Steven. I can take care of myself.”
“Oh, please. You don’t even have a gun.”
“Yes, I do. It’s in the car. Eric’s shotgun, remember?”
Steven flung the stick in the distance, briefly illuminating the sky before the stick hit the ground, burning faintly on the horizon. “I’m going to sleep. Wake me up when we’re ready to leave, alright?” The disgruntled man stretched out, feet towards the fire, head towards the burning twig.
“I think he’s right. We all need to get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day. Anyone know where exactly where we are?”
“On the way to Arizona, Eric,” Gopher coughed. “Thought you knew that.”
Eric’s shoulders heaved as he let out a heavy sigh. “Everyone, just get some rest. Tomorrow will be better, especially for you, Angela, considering you can actually take a seat at some point instead of riding around in the back like the kid in the family no one wants to talk about.”
She laughed quietly, lying down on the ground across the fire from Steven, the burning flames creating a barrier between their problems, and for the first night since the trip began, she slept soundly.
-
The strange light woke her up, coming from the distance. Eric was already alert, gun raised, the faint circle of luminosity creeping towards them slowly. A strange machine sound accompanied the light as it traversed the distance, bouncing slightly and creating a low rumbling sound.
“What is that,” Angela leaned over to Eric. “Do you know what it is?”
“Well… I think I have an idea. I don’t think it’s dangerous, either. Just hold tight for a second,” he clicked his light on, moving beside the burning embers of the now dead fire to Gopher.
“Gopher, wake up. What does that look like?”
Gopher strained his eyes, watching the bobble move in the expanse. The rumble was growing louder as the ball stopped moving. The noise died down and the light shut off. Gopher grew excited.
“Is that what I think it is?”
“What do you think it is, Gopher?”
“C’mon, Eric… You should know.”
“I should, but I don’t. What is it, Gopher?”
Gopher grabbed his light, turning it over the group, rousing them from their slumber.
“What are you doing, Gopher?” Fichter asked quietly. He was feeling better, but didn’t want to count his chickens.
“Everyone, grab their gun and follow me. I’ve got something to show you,” he grinned, holding the light under his chin, changing his face from the moon shaped oaf to a twisted grin. “I think you’ll be happy, too.”
Eric took point, walking past the burned out twig and making his way to where they last saw the light. Angela walked in the middle, the gun heavy in her hands, with Steven bringing up the rear, alert yet tired.
Eric’s light beam bounced over the pebbles that lined the ground as he carefully stepped over pieces of twisted metal and discarded branches. A shape begin to grow in his eyes as he looked ahead, trying to mentally figure out what the light belonged to. He broke out into a cold sweat, thinking about Danny’s words, if this could be the thing they were bringing in.
The large, bulky item was completely dark, but the outline was visible against the backdrop of nature. It was long, like a Lincoln Log, with a rounded end. Several pieces composed this object, lengthy and attached at intervals by a small coupling.
Stopping in his tracks, Eric’s heart skipped a beat.
“Gopher, is that…”
“Yes it is, yes it is…”
“What, Eric? What is it? Fichter? Angela? What is it?”
“Shut up, Steven, it’s…”
“I know what it is,” Fichter said.
The light came back on, bathing the ground in solid light. Systematically, lights emerged in all the pieces, creating a chain of windows and doorways.
“Oh, crap,” Steven said, “It’s a-“
“Yessir,” Gopher said. “A train.”
It stood on the tracks unmoving, the lights blinking on and off as Eric approached the door in the main car. A solitary Creep stood inside the conductor’s chamber, fiddling with levers and pressing buttons. He shrieked once before the small explosion of a bullet threw him to the wall.
“Well, this is quaint,” Eric said, motioning for the rest of the group to follow. Gopher stayed outside, looking over the car model, coming across the faded decal on the side.
“Hey, guys, take a look at this!”
Eric stepped down and out of the train, making his way over to Gopher. His light slid across the indentation on the side of the train revealing the words, “Arizona Express.”
“So, this is an express train to Arizona?” Eric asked. Such a Gopher question.
Gopher nodded.
“Well, this is rather convenient, I’ll say,” Fichter stepped out of the car, joining with Eric. Steven followed Fichter as Angela examined the conductor’s office, pouring over the room looking for a map.
She carelessly lifted the “Destination Guide” book and tossed it across the room, half the pages torn from the binding. It hit the acceleration lever solidly and the train began to move.
“Why is the logo moving,” Gopher asked.
“It’s not… The train is moving! ANGELA!” Steven cried out, running to catch up with the conductor door. The train continued to gain speed as Angela fervently grabbed the acceleration lever and pulled towards herself, snapping the bar in half.
“Good. A quality train,” she thought dismally to herself as it picked up speed, moving along the almost hidden track into the distance.
Eric bolted back to the car, pulling Fichter along with him.
“This is your fault, Eric! She’s going to… And it’s your fault! What are you doing? Running away from your problems, Eric? ANSWER ME!”
“Steven, shut up,” Eric said, sliding into the shotgun seat. “We have a train to catch.”
-
Mal
His opportunity to deal with the problem came later that night, after they had decided to call it a day and sleep on the side of the road, lighting a fire. Eric volunteered to be watchman, although he knew exactly what he was going to do, and it wasn’t necessarily watch.
Everyone lay passed out around the fire as Eric stole away back to the car, opening the hatch with the utmost care so as not to wake the others. He grabbed a satchel charge, carefully unclasping the clasp and flipping the tan covering off, revealing plastic explosives and a carefully placed set of syringes.
“What are you doing?”
Damn. Eric had forgotten Angela was staying with the car.
“Making sure we have explosives.”
“You know we have explosives, Eric. What are you doing?”
Eric sighed. “Taking care of business. Working overtime.”
“Wait-“ her voice was cut off as he swung the gate shut loudly, slinging the charge over his shoulder. Gopher stirred, reaching for his gun, but did not awaken. Steven was fast asleep and Fichter had broken into a fever at some point in the night. Had he been awake, he would have killed himself despite the protest of everyone in the car.
It was Fichter’s belief that Eric could learn stick shift and driving the rest of the way to Arizona would be no problem. If not Eric, then Steven, although Eric seemed like the natural choice to replace Fichter as driver. But no matter, he was asleep now, dreaming human dreams and none the wiser as Eric crept up to him.
Eric removed one of the syringes from the satchel and grabbed Fichter’s arm quietly, in the darkness, trying to find the vein. Fichter opened his eyes as Eric plunged the needle into the arm of the half asleep young man.
“HEY! WHAT IS THAT!”
“You had a bee on you, and I just,” he tossed the syringe into the fire behind himself, “Swatted it away. It must have bitten you already, or stung you or something. Guess I failed as the watchman, huh? Let a bee into the encampment?”
Fichter rolled over, unsatisfied with the answer. Bees took it upon themselves during Fichter’s youth to sting him several times, especially after he rolled his lawnmower over a nest that was carefully hidden in a pile of leaves. What he felt did not feel at all like a bee stinger shooting into his skin. It felt like a liquid had been forced into one of his veins, but it didn’t matter. “Maybe he’s trying to kill me in my sleep,” Fichter thought to himself, closing his eyes again. “Save me the trouble.” Those were his last thoughts before sleep overtook him once again.
The light in the wagon turned on as Angela climbed over the seat and opened the back door, stepping out into the night. She carefully made her way to Eric, silently sitting on a rock, gun over his lap, watching the flames dance in the night.
“Eric, what was that?”
“What was what?”
“What was in the bag of explosives?”
“Explosives, now get back in the car before you wake everyone up.”
“What did you do to Fichter? Did you kill him?”
“No. Go back to the car, please.”
“Tell me what the hell is going on!”
Gopher rolled over into the fire, eyes shooting open as the flame began to eat at his shirt. He screamed in anguish, rolling back over on the dirt several times, extinguishing the flame. Eric and Angela watched silently as the giant put the flames out.
“Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Hey, Eric. Angela. Did you see that? I was on fire!”
Eric couldn’t speak; he nodded, barely able to muster the strength to do that. Fear hadn’t taken him for Gopher’s safety, but it was only a matter of time before he realized that there was one more person with them then they had taken off with. What doesn’t belong here?
“Three, two, one,” Eric thought, closing his eyes and waiting.
“HEY! ANGELA! What are you doing here?” Gopher boomed, waking Steven up.
“Bingo,” Eric smiled grimly, rising to his feet.
“Angela? What are you doing out here? I thought we left you back at the base?”
“You did, but I didn’t want to stay. First…”
“Stop,” Steven interrupted. “Why are you here? What are you doing? Are you trying to get yourself killed? What are you doing? Why do you even want to be out here?”
“Steven, stop,” Angela answered. “First, I wanted to come along. I didn’t have any say in the matter. You all acted like I can’t protect myself. Well I can. I don’t need you, Steven, to baby me and fawn over me and worry over me all the time. I’m not your property, so you can back off.”
Steven began to speak, but caught the words in his mouth as Angela made a quick hand motion for silence.
“I didn’t want to sit back in some base and wonder if the person I loved was coming back. I couldn’t take the stress that comes along with the job of waiting, and I think you could appreciate that, Steven, of all people. You all didn’t even know how to get to Arizona before I told Eric-“
Eric winced.
“To take I-55.”
“Eric knew? Since when? Eric, how long have you known?”
“I’m just as surprised as you are, Steven.”
“Bullshit. How long have you known.”
“Since we set out. I saw her in the back and didn’t say anything. Didn’t want to cause any trouble, Steven.”
“Didn’t want to cause trouble? Oh, all right, good. Keep on then, don’t clue us in on anything, Eric. Please, continue to keep secrets from the group, because God knows that we need to be hiding information from each other this late in the game.”
Fichter sat up. “Would you all please shut up, I’m trying to- ANGELA?!”
“Yes, Fichter, my wife is here. Isn’t that a happy coincidence? I thought she was safe back at the base, and here she comes, hiding from-“
“Safe at the base? Are you a moron? You were going to leave me with Fife, and if you hadn’t noticed, he wasn’t exactly the sanest person I had ever met. He might be fine, but do you want to take that risk with me, your wife?”
Gopher leaned over to Fichter, whispering in his ear, “Oh, looks like they’re having a spat. Maybe we should give them a little room.” Fichter chuckled.
“I just didn’t want you to get hurt, Angela. For the love of God, Fichter has been bitten, Eric has been attacked-“
“Since when has that been new?”
“Eric has been attacked, Gopher has been attacked, and I’m the lucky one here. I didn’t think we would make it back, and I didn’t want to put you through that. Now, we have to take you back before you get hurt.”
Fichter rose to his feet, growing dizzy as he stood. “We can’t do that. We’re already a few days out here. Taking her back would just be too much right now, considering I probably won’t be around for the return trip,” he pointed at his scar, which had stopped oozing.
“We have to vote, then,” Steven said, all of a sudden becoming democratic. It was a fruitful attempt to rectify the situation that he had considered extremely bad that had just gone to worse. “We’ll vote, majority rules, and then we send her back or she stays. Alright, who wants her to go back?”
Gopher and Steven raised their hands.
Eric laughed. “Gopher, why do you want her to go back?”
“Oh, I don’t really. I just knew you guys were going to win the vote and I didn’t want Steven to feel all alone on the matter.”
Steven released a frustrated grunt and sat down on the ground, grabbing a stick and poking the fire. “Alright, but if something happens to you, you can’t hold me, Eric, Fichter or Gopher responsible. Whatever happens, you’re bringing it down on yourself.”
Angela sighed. “Nothing is going to happen to me, Steven. I can take care of myself.”
“Oh, please. You don’t even have a gun.”
“Yes, I do. It’s in the car. Eric’s shotgun, remember?”
Steven flung the stick in the distance, briefly illuminating the sky before the stick hit the ground, burning faintly on the horizon. “I’m going to sleep. Wake me up when we’re ready to leave, alright?” The disgruntled man stretched out, feet towards the fire, head towards the burning twig.
“I think he’s right. We all need to get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day. Anyone know where exactly where we are?”
“On the way to Arizona, Eric,” Gopher coughed. “Thought you knew that.”
Eric’s shoulders heaved as he let out a heavy sigh. “Everyone, just get some rest. Tomorrow will be better, especially for you, Angela, considering you can actually take a seat at some point instead of riding around in the back like the kid in the family no one wants to talk about.”
She laughed quietly, lying down on the ground across the fire from Steven, the burning flames creating a barrier between their problems, and for the first night since the trip began, she slept soundly.
-
The strange light woke her up, coming from the distance. Eric was already alert, gun raised, the faint circle of luminosity creeping towards them slowly. A strange machine sound accompanied the light as it traversed the distance, bouncing slightly and creating a low rumbling sound.
“What is that,” Angela leaned over to Eric. “Do you know what it is?”
“Well… I think I have an idea. I don’t think it’s dangerous, either. Just hold tight for a second,” he clicked his light on, moving beside the burning embers of the now dead fire to Gopher.
“Gopher, wake up. What does that look like?”
Gopher strained his eyes, watching the bobble move in the expanse. The rumble was growing louder as the ball stopped moving. The noise died down and the light shut off. Gopher grew excited.
“Is that what I think it is?”
“What do you think it is, Gopher?”
“C’mon, Eric… You should know.”
“I should, but I don’t. What is it, Gopher?”
Gopher grabbed his light, turning it over the group, rousing them from their slumber.
“What are you doing, Gopher?” Fichter asked quietly. He was feeling better, but didn’t want to count his chickens.
“Everyone, grab their gun and follow me. I’ve got something to show you,” he grinned, holding the light under his chin, changing his face from the moon shaped oaf to a twisted grin. “I think you’ll be happy, too.”
Eric took point, walking past the burned out twig and making his way to where they last saw the light. Angela walked in the middle, the gun heavy in her hands, with Steven bringing up the rear, alert yet tired.
Eric’s light beam bounced over the pebbles that lined the ground as he carefully stepped over pieces of twisted metal and discarded branches. A shape begin to grow in his eyes as he looked ahead, trying to mentally figure out what the light belonged to. He broke out into a cold sweat, thinking about Danny’s words, if this could be the thing they were bringing in.
The large, bulky item was completely dark, but the outline was visible against the backdrop of nature. It was long, like a Lincoln Log, with a rounded end. Several pieces composed this object, lengthy and attached at intervals by a small coupling.
Stopping in his tracks, Eric’s heart skipped a beat.
“Gopher, is that…”
“Yes it is, yes it is…”
“What, Eric? What is it? Fichter? Angela? What is it?”
“Shut up, Steven, it’s…”
“I know what it is,” Fichter said.
The light came back on, bathing the ground in solid light. Systematically, lights emerged in all the pieces, creating a chain of windows and doorways.
“Oh, crap,” Steven said, “It’s a-“
“Yessir,” Gopher said. “A train.”
It stood on the tracks unmoving, the lights blinking on and off as Eric approached the door in the main car. A solitary Creep stood inside the conductor’s chamber, fiddling with levers and pressing buttons. He shrieked once before the small explosion of a bullet threw him to the wall.
“Well, this is quaint,” Eric said, motioning for the rest of the group to follow. Gopher stayed outside, looking over the car model, coming across the faded decal on the side.
“Hey, guys, take a look at this!”
Eric stepped down and out of the train, making his way over to Gopher. His light slid across the indentation on the side of the train revealing the words, “Arizona Express.”
“So, this is an express train to Arizona?” Eric asked. Such a Gopher question.
Gopher nodded.
“Well, this is rather convenient, I’ll say,” Fichter stepped out of the car, joining with Eric. Steven followed Fichter as Angela examined the conductor’s office, pouring over the room looking for a map.
She carelessly lifted the “Destination Guide” book and tossed it across the room, half the pages torn from the binding. It hit the acceleration lever solidly and the train began to move.
“Why is the logo moving,” Gopher asked.
“It’s not… The train is moving! ANGELA!” Steven cried out, running to catch up with the conductor door. The train continued to gain speed as Angela fervently grabbed the acceleration lever and pulled towards herself, snapping the bar in half.
“Good. A quality train,” she thought dismally to herself as it picked up speed, moving along the almost hidden track into the distance.
Eric bolted back to the car, pulling Fichter along with him.
“This is your fault, Eric! She’s going to… And it’s your fault! What are you doing? Running away from your problems, Eric? ANSWER ME!”
“Steven, shut up,” Eric said, sliding into the shotgun seat. “We have a train to catch.”
-
Mal



Comment