NorthStrong's Training Log

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorthStrong
    FFR Player
    • Jun 2014
    • 102

    #31
    Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

    Originally posted by Reach
    Great work :) Sounds like a pretty sweet time.

    Was it in Amherst?

    If I ever don't suck at lifting I might try a meet. Especially if my hips stay good and my squat can recover.

    I know Cherie would like to try. How were the females there? Her PR deadlift is 270 and I'm curious as to how well that would do there.
    Thanks man, it was a ton of fun.

    Yeah it was.

    Just do it, lifts don't need to be good, look at mine lol. Just did it to get some experience and have fun. Having a competition in mind gives your training more purpose and you'll train harder and get better results too.

    Lots of girls, about 1/4 competitors were girls. Some where pretty strong. Depends on her weight class for how well that would do. Lots of light girls were pulling about 300.
    SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

    Comment

    • NorthStrong
      FFR Player
      • Jun 2014
      • 102

      #32
      Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

      Gonna start my off season training tomorrow with a fuckload of squats.
      SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

      Comment

      • Reach
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jun 2003
        • 7471

        #33
        Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

        Plans for offseason training?

        I want to gain as much strength as possible this fall/winter. Hoping to ramp up the frequency that I'm squatting/benching/deadlifting.

        Comment

        • NorthStrong
          FFR Player
          • Jun 2014
          • 102

          #34
          Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

          Originally posted by Reach
          Plans for offseason training?

          I want to gain as much strength as possible this fall/winter. Hoping to ramp up the frequency that I'm squatting/benching/deadlifting.
          low frequency, half bodybuilding half powerlifting style stuff. losing a bit of weight over the next couple months to be at the 198s for next meet.

          off season is cycling from 10s to 3s and in season is from 6s to 2s. Just 2 linear cycles - all autoregulated still. More focus on the sport form as compeition approaches.
          SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

          Comment

          • NorthStrong
            FFR Player
            • Jun 2014
            • 102

            #35
            Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

            Off Season Week 1 Squat

            Squat x 10 @ 9, 5%

            bar x lots
            135x5
            185x5
            225x10
            275x10
            315x10 @ 8ish? too painful to be super accurate
            300x10 @ 9

            High Bar Close Stance Pause Squat x 10 @ 9, 5%

            225x10 @ 9
            215x10 @ 9

            Front Squat x 10 @ 9, 5%

            155x10 @ 8
            155x10 @ 9
            145x10 @ 9

            Commentary

            This was awful.
            SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

            Comment

            • NorthStrong
              FFR Player
              • Jun 2014
              • 102

              #36
              Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

              Off Season Week 1 Bench

              Bench x 10 @ 9, 7.5%

              135x10
              155x10
              175x10 @ 8
              175x10 @ 9
              165x10 @ 9

              Close Grips x 10 @ 9, 7.5%

              135x10 @ 9
              125x10 @ 9

              Inclines x 10 @ 9, 7.5%

              95x10 @ 8
              95x10 @ 8
              105x10 @ 9
              95x10 @ 9

              curls, pushdowns, flyes

              Commentary

              Today went astonishingly quick. My legs are absolutely fukked from yesterday...walking is very painful. I feel like the douchebags from the "don't skip leg day" memes right now srs.

              As you can probably tell my training is really heavily influenced by Ed Coan right now, as well as being combined with that template that Brandon Lilly talked about. It's painful right now, but this kind of training will lead to having a nice base for me leading into the next meet.

              So yeah today went very well. Kinda strange to not be training heavy for a while - but like I said I believe it will pay off.
              SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

              Comment

              • NorthStrong
                FFR Player
                • Jun 2014
                • 102

                #37
                Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                Off Season Week 1 Deadlift

                Deadlift x 10 @ 9

                135x5x2
                185x10
                225x10
                275x10 @ 9

                Sumo off 4" Block x 10 @ 9

                225x10
                275x10
                315x10

                Stiff Leg DL x 10 @ 9

                135x10
                185x10
                225x10

                Commentary

                Today went really well! Was happy overall with the day. Did not do any backoff work, listened to my body and cut some of the work out. Legs are still absolutely fuked up from squatting so much on Monday. Also today was the first time I wore a tank top. Far too pasty and fluffy for dat **** lol.

                Conv pulls for reps are SO much harder than squatting for reps. Hooly nuts they suck. 275x10 was insanely hard.

                Doing the sumo pulls off blocks as per Dan Green and Chris Duffins' recommendations and they were good. 315x10 was more than I thought I'd hit - these smashed my upper back. The transition to sumo will be smooth I think.

                Did some sumo pulls from the floor with 225 after too. Felt good. More flexibile than I thought I was.

                SLDLS were good. So much better since I learned how to do them from that Ed Coan video. Also did some ab work, stir the pots. That stuff that Brian Carroll's been writing about.

                Leg day tomorrow!
                SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                Comment

                • SCWolf
                  ༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 1662

                  #38
                  Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                  Your sumo deadlifts looked great btw

                  Comment

                  • NorthStrong
                    FFR Player
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 102

                    #39
                    Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                    Leg stuff

                    Leg Press / Hack Squat

                    4x10, these both suck.

                    Reverse Lunges

                    3x8leg, 80lbs

                    Calf Raise

                    3x10

                    Leg Curl

                    3x10

                    Stir the pots

                    3x6 each way.

                    Commentary

                    Today could be described as "lame as fuk". Because of this, and since I'm still very sore from Monday, I am making a minor change in my programming. Moving front squats from Mondays to the "leg days". One is so I can walk after Mondays, and two is so I have an exercise on leg days that I can actually work hard at and go somewhat heavy on. Leg press and hack squats both just hurt and sucked.

                    Lunges are great, I like doin em reverse style, doesn't hurt my knees at all and works the hamstrings more. Leg curls were good and calf stuff is fun also since you get to sit down.

                    Stir the pots are hard, gonna really be working on these.

                    Traps and adductors are very sore from the pulling yesterday. I am going full sumo cheater.

                    Originally posted by SCWolf
                    Your sumo deadlifts looked great btw
                    Thanks hunny
                    SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                    Comment

                    • NorthStrong
                      FFR Player
                      • Jun 2014
                      • 102

                      #40
                      Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                      Squat

                      Squat x 10 @ 10

                      bar x lots
                      135x5
                      225x5
                      275x5
                      325x10 @ 8 PR
                      335x10 @ 10 PR

                      ow

                      High Bar Close Stance Pause Squat x 10 @ 10

                      first of all fukn lol at the name of this exercise

                      225x10 @ 9
                      225x10 @ 10

                      Commentary

                      Today was a good day! Pretty stoked on 335x10, woulda been good for more if I didn't do the 325x10 beforehand for sure.

                      The HBCSPS (LOL) were super hard. Just so much tension on the quad and quad only it's super hard, making an effort to stay perfectly upright and I'm hoping that this will carryover to my competition squat to keep me from folding over which is my usual weakness.

                      Decided not to do any backoff work today since I was so sore I could hardly move after last week, which was just too taxing on my recovery and kept me from getting in really good benching or deadlifting.

                      I have a game of frisbee tonight, and I'm gonna do some stir the pots and kettlebell swings after that is over.
                      SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                      Comment

                      • SCWolf
                        ༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 1662

                        #41
                        Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                        Congrats on the PR's dude, good job

                        Comment

                        • NorthStrong
                          FFR Player
                          • Jun 2014
                          • 102

                          #42
                          Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                          Off Season Week 2 Bench

                          Bench x 10 @ 10, 7.5%

                          bar x10
                          95x10
                          135x10
                          160x10
                          185x10 @ 10 PR
                          195x10 @ 10 PR

                          180x10 @ 10

                          Close Grip Bench x 10 @ 10, 7.5%

                          155x10 @ 10

                          140x10 @ 8
                          140x10 @ 10

                          Incline Bench x 10 @ 10, 7.5%

                          bar x10
                          115x10 @ 7
                          125x10 @ 10
                          115x10 @ 10

                          Commentary

                          Alright so today went really well. Happy with the benching training so far. Hitting some rep PRs this early in the cycle is a good indicator to me, whenever I stay away from the heavy weights for a while I get really excited to lift them once I get back to them, with a bunch of rep PRs underneath my belt.

                          The setup of bench, close, inclines is awesome. Did all of this work in just 40 minutes today.

                          Trying to widen my grip on bench as I said, I will keep it where it was today which was pinkies just next to the ring, like one finger inside of them. It felt good today and didn't bug my shoulders at all. Still trashed my triceps even with the wider grip. Then close grips gave me a tricep pump of the gods. Inclines were good too, went with PoR grip on these, and I think it helps to still get more work in with the pecs being the muscle that's getting the most love there rather than continuing to smash my triceps lol.

                          I wanted to get some curls in but I just did them at home later because I had to go to the movies. Went to see "The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - I liked it a lot.

                          Big ass rep PRs happening already, and I'm feeling strong and in shape. Building a big ol base. I'm hoping for the rep work to make me strong enough so that I can beat my previous 3-6 rep PRs by the time I get to those given rep ranges.

                          Originally posted by SCWolf
                          Congrats on the PR's dude, good job
                          ty
                          SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                          Comment

                          • SCWolf
                            ༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 1662

                            #43
                            Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                            Originally posted by NorthStrong
                            195x10 @ 10 PR
                            Getting stronk

                            Comment

                            • NorthStrong
                              FFR Player
                              • Jun 2014
                              • 102

                              #44
                              Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                              lol
                              SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                              Comment

                              • NorthStrong
                                FFR Player
                                • Jun 2014
                                • 102

                                #45
                                Re: NorthStrong's Training Log

                                Figured I might as well post a bit of training in here. Here is what's been going on in a nutshell..

                                Recent history of training.

                                Last meet was December 3rd, 2016. Totaled 1224 by the way of 457 + 314 + 452. Hurt my back pretty badly before this meet so my deadlift and squat were way down from what they should've been. Bench was good though. (Hit 452 for a double with one left in the tank in training before this meet on the squat).

                                I was going to do a single ply meet in February 2017, but was unable to due to logistic reasons, although I hit a 575 squat and 395 bench in training, but didn't do almost any deadlifting due to the back injury (slight QL tear if I am guessing).

                                January 2017 - was 240lb, and started to cut.
                                February 2017 - Hurt the posterolateral aspect of my left knee (back and outside part), and I was unable to do any decent training for the next while on the squat, although I did still train.
                                March 2017 - more of the same, althouh I hit 315x15 high bar squat which was ok.
                                April 2017 - Graduated university, trianing a bit chaotic, but my BW was down to 219 ish by now, so about 20lb lost since January. Go to Cuba for a week at the end of the month.

                                May 2017 - Back from Cuba on May 6th, started actually training again on May 8th. Did one 3 week cycle, and now I am on cycle 2, and here we are..

                                Hope I can have a few of you along for the ride. Current training program is hypertrophy oriented (with a clear powerlifting focus), and I'm trying to diet down to about 200lb. Weighing about 220-222 right now.

                                So now we pick up on Cycle 2... I'll post Monday / Tuesday / Thursday's workouts, then post tonight's when it's done.
                                SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                                Comment

                                Working...