Coraline

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CapnSkyOsiris
    FFR Player
    • Jul 2007
    • 344

    #16
    Re: Coraline

    Originally posted by Afrobean
    Tim Burton had literally ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this film.
    I hate that everyone thinks Tim Burton made it....and I'm even more angry that the marketing people were probably gearing for that by saying "by the director of the Nightmare Before Christmas" instead of "by Henry Selick" because they knew everyone was going to assume it was Tim Burton...and Tim Burton sells.

    Comment

    • Svaz
      quite clever
      • Oct 2008
      • 792

      #17
      Re: Coraline

      I will try to do a helpful comparison of the book and movie, as I have experienced both.

      This post will, obviously, contain spoilers. In fact, it will be ridden with them, for both book and movie: please do not read and then complain about this post later, etc.

      1. Wyvey wasn't in the book, and though I suppose I understand his inclusion as a character to appeal to younger males, he sort of detracted from Coraline's independent-explorer sort of mindset, and I don't think the subplot with him and his grandmother was entirely necessary.
      2. Coraline seemed a lot brattier and self centered in the movie as oppposed to her book counterpart. I suppose a lot of this is because of the medium and it's limitations when it comes to addressing inner thoughts, feelings, and preferences (there was a point where she drank a very chemical lime drink which she "loved immensely" and as it was one of my favorite lines I was sad to see it absent altogether in the movie). Her mother's character was also far less harsh and just more tired seeming in the book -- I guess that's less interesting for film, though, and they needed to give Coraline a stronger motive to leave, or something.
      3. There were a few bits missing from the movie altogether, and some added on, most of them in the latter half.
      a. A lot of the book was about Coraline becoming brave. She has a recollection of a moment when her father took her on a walk across a junkyard which she feverishly wanted to explore as a child (which assisted the whole explorer element of her attitude, as well) but couldn't as it was dangerous. They reach a river, and suddenly, Coraline's Dad tells her to run up the hill and to home as quickly as possible. She feels a brief biting sensation, but goes on anyway. Later, she discovers that her dad allowed himself to get stung by a swarm of bees, and lost his glasses. He goes back regardless of knowing what awaits him, and it's this recollection that renews her will against the other mother.
      b. There were a few elements which somewhat combined in my mind; after rescuing the children and her parents, Coraline dreams of having a party with the three children, which somewhat harkens to the Garden Party in the movie. Also, there's a point where she takes her dolls and has a tea party over the well, and baits the hand to fall into it, with the key. It was a bit less scary than the movie counterpart.

      Also, John Linnell was a fantastic addition to the story, and made everything so much better. I actually really appreciated this interpretation of the Other Father. Also, there was no garden and there was still a point where he attacked her, except it was where her apartment was supposed to be, and he was reduced to a heap of clay, which transformed and attacked her; his character was consistently helpful to Coraline in both publications.

      More later, brb airport

      Comment

      • fullmetal_alchemist027
        Don't make me stalk you
        • Jul 2005
        • 265

        #18
        Re: Coraline

        Making up a song about Coraline...
        She's a peach, she's a doll, she's a pal of mine...
        She's as cute as a button in the eyes of everyone that's ever laid their eyes on Coraline...
        When she comes around around exploring, Mom and I will never ever make it boring...
        Our eyes will be on Coraline...

        I really loved this movie, and I wish to find the book in the near future @_@


        Comment

        • MalReynolds
          CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
          • Sep 2003
          • 6571

          #19
          Re: Coraline

          Fun fact - John Flanberg, I think, from They Might Be Giants sung that song.

          Also fun fact: John Hodgeman, Father/Other Father is a wickedly hilarous author, in addition to being the PC in the PC/Mac commercials. Pick up his books immediately.
          "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

          "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


          My new novel:

          Maledictions: The Offering.

          Now in Paperback!

          Comment

          • MalReynolds
            CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
            • Sep 2003
            • 6571

            #20
            Re: Coraline

            Sang?
            "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

            "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


            My new novel:

            Maledictions: The Offering.

            Now in Paperback!

            Comment

            • MalReynolds
              CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
              • Sep 2003
              • 6571

              #21
              Re: Coraline

              Eh, **** you, I dunno.
              "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

              "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


              My new novel:

              Maledictions: The Offering.

              Now in Paperback!

              Comment

              • iPatcH
                Swamp Lemons Rule
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Music Producer
                • Dec 2004
                • 3371

                #22
                Re: Coraline

                It was John Linnell.

                And I want to see this movie again so bad.
                put on a donk on it

                Comment

                • MalReynolds
                  CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                  • Sep 2003
                  • 6571

                  #23
                  Re: Coraline

                  Excellent movie, highly recommended from me.
                  "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                  "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                  My new novel:

                  Maledictions: The Offering.

                  Now in Paperback!

                  Comment

                  • OrganisM
                    FFR Player
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 2644

                    #24
                    Re: Coraline

                    I will give it a try. Certainly the source material is awesome.
                    .

                    Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
                    "If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
                    because the venom gets into the blood stream which
                    spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
                    changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

                    Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."


                    Originally Posted by
                    MrRubix[link]:
                    "Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

                    Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
                    "My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

                    Comment

                    Working...