Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gnr61
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Oct 2005
    • 7251

    #16
    Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

    Yeah it sucks so hard making a metric conversion waaah.

    I change things from metric - Imperial or vise versa every day in physics and calc. It's something so easy that it doesn't NEARLY merit altering an entire country's system of measurement. Imagine if everything in Canada was suddenly measured in feet and miles, everyone would be confused ****less.
    squirrel--it's whats for dinner.

    Comment

    • fido123
      FFR Player
      • Sep 2005
      • 4245

      #17
      Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

      Originally posted by gnr61
      Yeah it sucks so hard making a metric conversion waaah.

      I change things from metric - Imperial or vise versa every day in physics and calc. It's something so easy that it doesn't NEARLY merit altering an entire country's system of measurement. Imagine if everything in Canada was suddenly measured in feet and miles, everyone would be confused ****less.
      However it would be much easier if things were in metric...yes it's easy going from Imperial to Metric but Metric just makes far more sense. I know it's easy to do the conversions from the 2 but if you guys just simply started integrating it you would be using the universal measurements.

      EDIT: I really need to stop with all this derailing...I derailed the freaking Dumb ass of the Year Thread >_<
      Last edited by fido123; 11-7-2007, 01:54 PM.

      Comment

      • gnr61
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Oct 2005
        • 7251

        #18
        Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

        Not for all the work it would take to set it up. Everyone jacks off to their base 10 metric system, ooh its so simple and brilliant. But any amount of work involved is minute compared to the huge transition period that would just be pointless.

        Besides, any time that I've had foreign interactions I've just used metric, I assumed the US always did that =/
        squirrel--it's whats for dinner.

        Comment

        • fido123
          FFR Player
          • Sep 2005
          • 4245

          #19
          Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

          Originally posted by gnr61
          Not for all the work it would take to set it up. Everyone jacks off to their base 10 metric system, ooh its so simple and brilliant. But any amount of work involved is minute compared to the huge transition period that would just be pointless.

          Besides, any time that I've had foreign interactions I've just used metric, I assumed the US always did that =/
          I know where you coming from but really, if they taught it in schools alongside Imperial it would be enough. If you want to go another step, if you building a new road, put the signs in Metric instead of Imperial. Do you guys learn metric as well or does it vary by state?

          Comment

          • gnr61
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Oct 2005
            • 7251

            #20
            Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

            They teach you the metric system in elementary school, and you apply it frequently in high school in science and math courses. New roadsigns would confuse the hell out of people, since metric is not the primary system people here use. When I've been to Canada, I could understand the speed limit signs, but I couldn't just look at them and know how fast I should go. Not good when using road signs.
            squirrel--it's whats for dinner.

            Comment

            • fido123
              FFR Player
              • Sep 2005
              • 4245

              #21
              Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

              Originally posted by gnr61
              They teach you the metric system in elementary school, and you apply it frequently in high school in science and math courses. New roadsigns would confuse the hell out of people, since metric is not the primary system people here use. When I've been to Canada, I could understand the speed limit signs, but I couldn't just look at them and know how fast I should go. Not good when using road signs.
              That's why you slowly integrate it...first make sure everybody knows it. Mine was a bad example but probably start with food labels ect.

              Comment

              • Go_Oilers_Go
                <<Insert Title Here>>
                • Sep 2004
                • 1436

                #22
                Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                Fido, your classification of the prairies is really only applicable to Alberta. Saskatchewan is the only normal province in the prairies. There's a saying: Saskatchewan is so windy because Alberta blows and Manitoba sucks.

                ^_^

                Anyhow, seeing as how this thread has gone way off topic and is no longer about Corner Gas I feel like joining in the flame argument.

                I was in a Canada vs. US pillow fight beyotches! No lies. Canada kind of lost though because we literally were outnumbered 200-25 (screw the lowest ratio thing). Americans are only useful on their own turf.

                *runs*

                Comment

                • fido123
                  FFR Player
                  • Sep 2005
                  • 4245

                  #23
                  Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                  Originally posted by Go_Oilers_Go
                  Saskatchewan is so windy because Alberta blows and Manitoba sucks.
                  So awesome I have to save in notepad and show my Albertan/French Canadian friend...if he was also a noofie...I might of had to kill him.

                  Comment

                  • Go_Oilers_Go
                    <<Insert Title Here>>
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 1436

                    #24
                    Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                    Meh, it's a fairly common phrase 'round these parts.

                    Comment

                    • MixMasterLar
                      Beach Bum Extraordinaire
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 5403

                      #25
                      Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                      Fido, keep in mind that the US made Metric the standerd for our country in the late 1800s

                      The prez already took your advice and the people just wanted a better system =)
                      ​

                      Comment

                      • smartdude1212
                        2 is poo
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Sep 2005
                        • 6687

                        #26
                        Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                        thread went off track lulz

                        I actually went to the set, and it so happened that the day we (my mom and I) took the tour, CTV was filming a documentary of Corner Gas which they put on the 3rd season disc set special features (I think it's 3rd season). We got on a bus in Regina which took us to Rouleau, the set, the bar, around the streets, showed the outside of Oscar and Emma's "house", then took us back to the filming studios in Regina where we explored the sets of The Ruby and the inside of Oscar and Emma's house.

                        im famouz lol
                        I look really ****ing retarded in the video.

                        I honestly don't watch enough TV to catch it every week, though I rather enjoy it when I do see it.

                        Comment

                        • Zageron
                          Zageron E. Tazaterra
                          FFR Administrator
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 6592

                          #27
                          Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                          I think you are forgetting that Vancouver is in BC. =/ We are VERY urbanized here. We, in a tiny town Squamish, even have a WALmart.

                          Comment

                          • massflavour
                            FFR Player
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 3102

                            #28
                            Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                            Originally posted by smartdude1212
                            I honestly don't watch enough TV to catch it every week, though I rather enjoy it when I do see it.
                            I just buy the dvds ;_;

                            also, I got a tour of the sound stage in a few months back as well. it's amazing the effect lighting can have on a setting like the ruby. it looked nothing like it did on the show when I was on the set =/
                            Last edited by massflavour; 04-1-2025, 07:54 PM.
                            .

                            Comment

                            • audiophile99
                              FFR Player
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 41

                              #29
                              Re: Do Any Americans Here Watch Corner Gas?

                              Northern Ontarians are the best of all types. We are everthing fido said except for the stupid part. Everything else spot on.
                              Last edited by audiophile99; 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM.
                              [SIZE="6"]Are we human, or are we dancer?SIZE]

                              Comment

                              Working...