Anime Sucks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • igotrhythm
    Fractals!
    • Sep 2004
    • 6535

    #16
    Indeed. I don't care if that show epitomizes the entire "magical girl" genre of anime, Sailor Moon loses at everything. >_<

    There are even some American cartoons that are drawn in the anime style. For example, My Life as a Teenage Robot seems to be taken straight out of an instruction book for how to draw in the shojo style. Then you have Teen Titans, which attempts to emulate anime by incorporating common sight gags such as making people very big when they're yelling, but the artwork in unmistakably American.

    I agree with Jewpin. Finding a good anime is like panning for gold. You have to sort through a lot of worthless trash before you get to the good stuff. Just keep trying, I'm sure you'll find something you like.
    Originally posted by thesunfan
    I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

    Comment

    • Chromer
      Hookers and Blow
      • Jul 2003
      • 4981

      #17
      Hey, Teen Titans may be a Japanese acting cartoon, but IMO I think it's the only cartoon that does it right. Totally Spies tries to hard to look like an Anime, while shows such as Avatar and Juniper Lee, have no substance that makes me want to continue watching it. TT has gags, story, and still manages to keep my attention after 5 minutes. No I don't have ADD either.

      Comment

      • DRangedTeddyBear
        FFR Player
        • Jul 2005
        • 82

        #18
        Re: Anime Sucks

        Originally posted by rabidrabbitMB
        Hello, Everybody. Personally I don't like anime. In fact, I hate it, to be honest. The characters look stupid with their huge eyes and big hair. If anybody ese here doesn't like Anime, please respond. Or, tell me if you can figure out a reason why I should waste my time watching it. PLEASE RESPOND!
        You probably didn't realize it, but most of the people who have posted so far are(seem to be) fans of the anime. It kinda looks like you're trying to start a Flame War, but that's just what I see. May I dare to ask exactly WHAT anime you've seen that has made you hate it in general? Or can I start calling you racist-to-anime because you don't like the anime art style?
        This is all coming from someone who speaks some Japanese and draws anime, watches anime, reads manga, and battles on a daily basis with people who claim to hate and despise anime despite the fact that they've never watched it.
        I'm not here to convince you to watch anime or to like it, but I would like to know what has made you hate it so much?

        Comment

        • Varia
          FFR Player
          • Jul 2003
          • 1713

          #19
          Re: Anime Sucks

          Originally posted by DRangedTeddyBear
          the stuff he wrote
          Man, you are a huge nerd.

          I would like to know what speaking Japanese has to do with anything. It might if you couldn't watch it in English, but you can, so I don't know why you brought that up. I can watch anime in Japanese, so I guess that must mean whatever point you were trying to make, mine is better and I automatically win.

          Hey, do you know what オタク means? I bet you think it means "fan".

          What you express is an unhealthy liking of anime. Your life revolves around anime. Although it's not my place to tell people what they should do with themselves, going around telling people that you have an unhealthy obsession with anime isn't going to do much for you.

          I have a guess as to why he dislikes anime. Anime has a large fanbase. I think we all know what the general stereotype of an anime fan is. So, you know, you're at school and you tell your friends you saw this Evangelion movie or something the other day and one of them starts going "OMG you saw that??!! I luuuuuvvvvvv that movie! Who was your favorite character? Mine was Rei. She is so kawaii! I think her voice actor is really good too. Especially in some of the other series she has done. Wooooooowwwww I didn't know you watched anime! We should start spending our whole lives talking about this and occasionally throw in Japanese words and high pitched squeals!".

          That is one of the reasons I stopped watching anime. I just couldn't deal with those, for lack of better words, stupid idiots anymore.

          It's comparable to, let's say, a person who really likes Slipknot, but isn't into the whole hardcore thing. They just like the music. So then they go to a Slipknot concert and get punched in the face by some guy who was just rockin' out and punching people in the face because that's his thing. The guy just came for a good time and ended up with a black eye because of some other fan.

          Some people just watch anime for fun, but then they meet people who take it all seriously and it just kind of ruins it.

          To be honest, I don't really have a point specifically for you. I was just using you as fodder to say something I have been wanting to for a while because you just posted in like...every single thread. Don't disturb the dead, man. Nobody likes it when they wake up.
          GB CHALLENGE IS HOMOSEXUAL

          ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?


          I THINK SO

          Comment

          • jewpinthethird
            (The Fat's Sabobah)
            FFR Music Producer
            • Nov 2002
            • 11711

            #20
            Re: Anime Sucks

            Originally posted by Varia
            Hey, do you know what オタク means? I bet you think it means "fan".
            Seriously. This is my number one biggest gripe with the whole American "anime" community. Calling yourself オタク is not a good thing.

            Besides, 扇子 means fan. Haha, stupid translation jokes! I hate myself.

            you're at school and you tell your friends you saw this Evangelion movie or something the other day and one of them starts going "OMG you saw that??!! I luuuuuvvvvvv that movie! Who was your favorite character? Mine was Rei.
            Mine is Kaji. He is so かっこういい!
            But did you really have to pick my favorite anime for your example? Well, it is the ultimate オタク anime isnt it. Damn, I am such a hypocrite.

            That is one of the reasons I stopped watching anime. I just couldn't deal with those, for lack of better words, stupid idiots anymore.
            That is why I dont associate myself with that crowd anymore.

            I mean, I can bash the American オタク community all I want, but the truth is, I can relate. There was a time in my life when I probably fit in really well with that crowd. And had my friend's shared the same interest in Anime as I did, I probably would have become a full-blown オタク. And had it not been for Evangelion, I probably won't be the person I am now.

            Funny though, I can't say I'm any better than the オタク scum. Because I do have an unhealthy obsession with the Japanese culture and whatnot. It's just a broader subject.

            Whatever, I know I'm pathetic, but I dont have to go around calling myself 哀れな人. And besides, I have a pretty good excuse for wanting to learn Japanese: 岡 由布子. Still pathetic though.

            Comment

            • Varia
              FFR Player
              • Jul 2003
              • 1713

              #21
              RE: Re: Anime Sucks

              岡 由布子

              Is this the girl that wanted to slit your throat?

              P.S. I downloaded 電車男 so you have to come watch it or something.
              GB CHALLENGE IS HOMOSEXUAL

              ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?


              I THINK SO

              Comment

              • SoggyWaffulz
                FFR Player
                • Jul 2005
                • 277

                #22
                I usually do not like anime at all, but one of my favorite T.V. shows is Inuyasha

                Comment

                • Squeek
                  let it snow~
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 14444

                  #23
                  The thing I really don't get is people like the above poster.

                  "I don't like anime, but I really like this terrible anime that REALLY sucks."

                  I pretty much got every single kanji / hira you two posted without looking it up. Go me.

                  ~Squeek

                  Comment

                  • Tokzic
                    FFR Player
                    • May 2005
                    • 6878

                    #24
                    All I caught from the Japanese up there was "otaku". I really have to begin learning Japanese.

                    Anyway, on to the main topic. I don't get people that say "Oh, I hate anime. The eyes and hair are weird and it's only for people that are obsessed with Japan." No, you are completely wrong. It's just animation, and as such, there are just as many genres possible as any other media. Saying you hate anime is like saying you hate movies - sure, you may only like action movies, but that means you like some of them. The difference of course is that people who watch Sailor Moon or DBZ or some other anime that gets played on television like crazy but isn't that great immediately assume all anime is the exact same. I personally hate DBZ and Sailor Moon. But when I went out and actually rented some anime (because I live in Canada and the only anime I ever get on TV is .hack, Inuyasha, and Gundam), I absolutely loved what I picked out.

                    If I may make a few suggestions, try Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, or Getbackers. All quite good, though Getbackers is better in manga form.

                    Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

                    Comment

                    • SoggyWaffulz
                      FFR Player
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 277

                      #25
                      Originally posted by MrESqueek
                      "I don't like anime, but I really like this terrible anime that REALLY sucks."
                      Dang, don't you think that was a bit harsh? I actually think Inuyasha isn't half bad... all the other anime crap I've seen totally sucks compared to Inuyasha, and I'm talking about Full Metal Alchemist, Samuri Shamploo or whatever, and all the other stuff on Adult Swim that I've seen. Oh well, just my opinion.

                      Comment

                      • Omeganitros
                        auauauau
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 8897

                        #26
                        The whole advantage of making a cartoon is that there are no limits to it. You can do whatever you want, without having to worry about budget, or pulling a stunt right, or the laws of physics, because it's your own world.

                        Look at Star Wars: Clone Wars. They able to make the characters do tons of awesome stuff, without having to worry about anyone complaining about too much CGI or bad acting, because they controlled everything that happened. That is the advantage of making Cartoons. It's your own reality, as you see it.

                        Comment

                        • SoggyWaffulz
                          FFR Player
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 277

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Omeganitros
                          Look at Star Wars: Clone Wars.
                          Speaking of Clone Wars, that was an AWESOME series. Now that episode 3 has been released (Because Clone Wars was released before Episode 3 came out, they had to stop at the begining of Episode 3) I hope they can continue the series because in my opinion, Clone Wars was one of the best cartoon I have ever seen in my life.

                          Edit: Yeah about that, I ment anime as in animation that time... because Clone Wars was animated... oops lol

                          Comment

                          • Omeganitros
                            auauauau
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 8897

                            #28
                            Clone Wars was not anime. If anything, it was.....uh.....Tarakovskime. Or something. Genndy has his own flavor of drawing styles. Speaking of which, what ever happened to Samurai Jack?

                            Comment

                            • vashthestampede0987
                              FFR Player
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 2997

                              #29
                              Originally posted by SoggyWaffulz
                              Originally posted by MrESqueek
                              "I don't like anime, but I really like this terrible anime that REALLY sucks."
                              Dang, don't you think that was a bit harsh? I actually think Inuyasha isn't half bad... all the other anime crap I've seen totally sucks compared to Inuyasha, and I'm talking about Full Metal Alchemist, Samuri Shamploo or whatever, and all the other stuff on Adult Swim that I've seen. Oh well, just my opinion.
                              First, Fullmetal Alchemist.

                              Second, Champloo.

                              Third, ARE YOU FUCKING DUMB?!?!?!? Your taste in anime has probably been degraded to liking Reign. Honestly, Inuyasha sucked balls compared to either of those shows. Go ask any real anime fan and they will tell you that. Btw omega it's Tachikovsky or something like that.

                              Fourth, Samurai.
                              Omega owes me [1] omega favor
                              I am God of Hot Pockets, fear my fillings for they may be hot.


                              Originally posted by Synthlight
                              I hate myself.

                              Cheers,

                              Synthlight
                              xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
                              xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me

                              Comment

                              • Omeganitros
                                auauauau
                                • Jun 2003
                                • 8897

                                #30
                                Genndy Tartakovsky. Dang.

                                Comment

                                Working...