Which DAW do you use any why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DarkbearX
    Shimose
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Music Producer
    • Feb 2006
    • 1995

    #31
    Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

    Originally posted by LogicalDefiance
    To name a few off the top of my head:

    - Automation shapes and precise/input values on automation points.

    - Controllers comparable to Fruity Peak Controller and Formula Controller.

    - Dual screen compatibility. (floating windows for one example)

    - Memory bridging

    BTW I would love to be proved wrong on these since I have both programs and the above are the main reasons I dont use Ableton anymore.

    What are some Ableton features that FL studio doesn't have? (excluding DJing) I would love to know.
    I suppose my statement was a bit bold. I love Fruity Peak and Formula Controller both. I haven't found a way to really mimic either one in Live (yet), but I'm sure there are ways. Also, about the automation, I guess that's subjective because I think automating in Live is much easier.

    The main reasons I use Live over FL mainly is because...

    -EQ has L/R M/S modes (FL's doesn't)

    -Reverb has hold button (FL's doesn't, and yes I do use this enough to make a difference rofl)

    -unlimited FX chain. I know you can route and all that shit in FL to technically have more than 8 slots, but that's sloppy and inefficient and I hate doing it. Aforementioned Chainer 'kind of' fixes this, but still not as effective as it should be.

    -FREEZE TRACK! My God FL doesn't have ANY excuses at this point to not have freeze track. I am aware of smart disable macro, multithreading crap etc as well, still not as great as freeze track.

    Also this is opinionated too but I really hate how bulky FL's limiter is.
    im gay
    SRL Page
    Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, and Cave Story speedruns
    D e e R F o r C e Leaderboards

    Comment

    • LogicalDefiance
      FFR Player
      • Apr 2009
      • 49

      #32
      Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

      Originally posted by DarkbearX
      -EQ has L/R M/S modes (FL's doesn't)
      Originally posted by DarkbearX
      -Reverb has hold button (FL's doesn't, and yes I do use this enough to make a difference rofl)
      Fruity Mute, Automate on/off. It's an extra step but not one that takes up much time, like 10 seconds tops.

      Personally I use the Send busses in FL each with their own type of reverb and just route it into the sound I want when I want it; if I'm going to be doing advanced reverb stuff that is, like it seems you are heavily invested in apparently.

      Originally posted by DarkbearX
      -unlimited FX chain. I know you can route and all that shit in FL to technically have more than 8 slots, but that's sloppy and inefficient and I hate doing it. Aforementioned Chainer 'kind of' fixes this, but still not as effective as it should be.
      It's not sloppy, when one slot fills up it continues in the next one...takes all of 5 seconds to click off master send, and click the specific channel send. Plus in most cases there shouldn't be a need for more then 8 effects anyways. Not unless you're using stacking VST types like Grossbeat or Vocalizer.


      I'm not attacking you, sorry if it seems that way. I get defensive over FL =P

      CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

      Comment

      • DJSBX
        FFR Music Producers
        FFR Music Producer
        • Oct 2003
        • 514

        #33
        Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

        First off, I use Reason+Record Rewired in to Ableton Live (just for the sake of saying what I use)

        Ive seen TONS... TONS of FL users bad mouth other products because it takes one or two extra clicks to do something that takes 1 click in fl.

        In this case, ableton has a sleeker effects chain interface.
        and on the same topic, I dont think you understand what the reverbs hold button does. It doesnt mute the sound on/off.


        Check Out My website!
        http://www.djsbx.com

        Comment

        Working...