Which DAW do you use any why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SpookG
    (For Great Justice!)
    FFR Music Producer
    • Dec 2002
    • 829

    #16
    Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

    Originally posted by jakeyjake7
    I'm tempted to get back into buzz. I've had it installed twice before, but each time, I just fell out of using it. But my friend Evelon keeps showing me these amazing new updates Oskari keeps adding, and now I'm really interested. He showed me that he just added a tonematrix type thing, and that really got my mouth watering.
    I actually only installed the new beta of Buzz yesterday. Up until then I've only used the 2004 builds. I had been running Vista til last week, and it was incredibly stable there. I downgraded back to XP SP3 and decided to get the Beta, since old Buzz is less stable in XP.

    Thing about Buzz is it does certain things incredibly well, it just is not very user friendly since so many people are used to an overabundance of user interface. I come from the generation of users who know a lot of DSP, so Buzz makes a lot of sense to me when I decide to make synths from scratch and I actually enjoy the bare bones aspect of it.

    That is really where the learning curve will be, in your ability to distill what you know to a fundamental level and go to town.

    I like Evelon; he seems very knowledgeable. I'm not really a part of the community, but I know the name since he's been around a long time.

    You should try Buzz.

    Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
    .
    kerBLAM



    Comment

    • zajac
      aka uAnimals
      FFR Music Producer
      • Aug 2003
      • 4050

      #17
      I'm going to keep this short and to the point. This is coming from someone that's been DJing and Producing for about 6 years now; as well as being one of the top sales associates in the Sam Ash Music chain.

      Every company is trying to get their hands into the DAW market. You've got Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One, Cakewalk, Sonar, FL Studio, Ableton, Sony Acid, Reason, and the list goes on for quite some time, those are just the more popular ones.

      They all have their own specialty, such as Pro Tools being the industry standard for recording, mixing, and mastering.

      Pick whatever you want, I personally recommend Ableton, even though I use Acid Pro. Ableton, along with the Bridge with Scratch Live, opens up so many doors, and from having worked/talked with producers such as Evol Intent, Sluggo, Nerd Rage, Halo Nova, etcetc, They ALL use Ableton, so when it comes to collabs too, it's just cake. And then you have all the instantly supported hardware such as the Akai & M-Audio line-up.

      Really, it's like picking one European car company over another, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi? They're all great company's, but it comes down to personal preference more than anything else, but again, I personally say Ableton. They're tutorials and support are second to none.

      Guess that wasn't very short and to the point, but hope that helps a bit

      Originally posted by Mans0n
      i honestly doubt more people use ableton to produce music than FL. Partly because you provided no source that confirms what your saying jakeyjake, that being said. FL studio is very easy to use ONCE you get used to it and learn all it's features and functions. Because ( though just my opinion) something that takes less time to make is probably not going to sound as good as something you spent a little more time on.
      plus lol 40 more seconds isn't much of a long wait. Better to take your time than rush, though that might just be me

      Which isn't overnight.
      I agree wholeheartedly with Jakeyjake's reply, especially the second half of what he said after rambling about being a moderator of said mysterious forum lolol

      But it's true. You will see a slew of industry standard producers using Ableton more so than FL Studio. Fruity Loops just was easier to come by than Ableton, and when it comes to legit purchases, you can't beat $100.

      What do I sell the most of at Sam Ash? FL Studio. Because it's $100.

      What do I see most people using when it comes to being in a studio? Pro Tools. And when it comes to well-known artists on Beatport? Ableton.
      Last edited by HammyMcSquirrel; 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM.
      Originally posted by Spec & Aperson
      We Rate You: Cool Motherfucer. 9/10

      Comment

      • Mans0n
        Sun and Stars
        FFR Music Producer
        • Sep 2006
        • 2907

        #18
        Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

        I'll admit, Ableton is pretty f'ing sweet when it comes to mixing multiple tracks or parts of tracks, and doing live mixes, but the whole producing side of it seems like it's lacking compared to what FL can do. though that might just be because i didn't work with it long enough to get to use all it's features. But yeah for me FL studio 8 XXL meets all my needs as of now XD.
        http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Br0wnbread



        Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P

        Comment

        • DarkbearX
          Shimose
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Feb 2006
          • 1995

          #19
          Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

          Originally posted by Mans0n
          I'll admit, Ableton is pretty f'ing sweet when it comes to mixing multiple tracks or parts of tracks, and doing live mixes, but the whole producing side of it seems like it's lacking compared to what FL can do. though that might just be because i didn't work with it long enough to get to use all it's features.
          Bolded is definitely why you think that. I can't name one thing that Live can't do that FL can. I can't say the same vice versa without the use of external plugins. FL's piano roll is incredibly easy though.

          That said, I use FL rewired to Live (Live being my main power source).
          im gay
          SRL Page
          Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, and Cave Story speedruns
          D e e R F o r C e Leaderboards

          Comment

          • sakura080789
            Rapture Universe
            • Feb 2007
            • 1751

            #20
            Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

            i use 2 : FL 9 & Magix Music Maker

            Comment

            • kommisar
              Dark Chancellor
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Music Producer
              • Jun 2005
              • 7328

              #21
              Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

              fl studio for more composed stuff


              LSDJ for purist chiptunes

              Comment

              • Mans0n
                Sun and Stars
                FFR Music Producer
                • Sep 2006
                • 2907

                #22
                Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                First program that got me into making music was samplitude studio lol.
                http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Br0wnbread



                Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P

                Comment

                • kid_merkury
                  I make good music
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 478

                  #23
                  Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                  didn't i make a sticky about this already
                  -Merk



                  PSN: kid_merkury

                  Comment

                  • Mans0n
                    Sun and Stars
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 2907

                    #24
                    Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                    yeah but this is more detailed
                    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Br0wnbread



                    Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P

                    Comment

                    • 3lijah
                      This ma coo coo face
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 896

                      #25
                      Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                      Does anyone know anything about Logic Pro(in general I mean)? Thinking of using it, as well as EZ Drummer. Im not gonna torrent these either, im purchasing them lol. Only because I want to avoid as many problems as possible with the product activation-wise and well, legal-wise. Which is why I want to be extra careful when/if I do purchase them. I know the ffr community has at least a handful of ppl that record live instruments and not just computer generated music. Not hatin, because FL and other programs are hard as shit to utilize what sound you want lol.
                      BEST AAAs: Fluttershy (Monster Mix), S.E.B. in B.E.D., EHHS, Dreadnought [Heavy], .357 Magnum, Destination of the Heart, Oops, Boot, Puzzle, Colorful Course,
                      BLACKFLAGS: Spaceman, A FLOWER GARDEN, Paraclete, Just Why, Pussy Pump, Future Destination
                      BEST SDGs: Casino fire Kotomi-chan(7-0-0-1), Shitsubou Choco(7-0-0-0) Adventures of Lolo(7-0-0-3), Louder!! Louder!!!! Louder!!!!!!(3-0-0-1), Great Battleship(3-0-0-0), Shatterscape (Bexarametric Remix)(5-0-0-1)

                      Comment

                      • LogicalDefiance
                        FFR Player
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 49

                        #26
                        Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                        Originally posted by DarkbearX
                        I can't name one thing that Live can't do that FL can.
                        To name a few off the top of my head:

                        - Automation shapes and precise/input values on automation points.

                        - Controllers comparable to Fruity Peak Controller and Formula Controller.

                        - Dual screen compatibility. (floating windows for one example)

                        - Memory bridging

                        BTW I would love to be proved wrong on these since I have both programs and the above are the main reasons I dont use Ableton anymore.

                        What are some Ableton features that FL studio doesn't have? (excluding DJing) I would love to know.

                        CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

                        Comment

                        • jakeyjake7
                          FFR Player
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 343

                          #27
                          Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                          Originally posted by LogicalDefiance
                          To name a few off the top of my head:

                          - Automation shapes and precise/input values on automation points.

                          - Controllers comparable to Fruity Peak Controller and Formula Controller.

                          - Dual screen compatibility. (floating windows for one example)

                          - Memory bridging

                          BTW I would love to be proved wrong on these since I have both programs and the above are the main reasons I dont use Ableton anymore.

                          What are some Ableton features that FL studio doesn't have? (excluding DJing) I would love to know.

                          Max For Live.
                          Originally posted by tuv
                          I enjoy eating my beard

                          Comment

                          • LogicalDefiance
                            FFR Player
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 49

                            #28
                            Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                            Originally posted by jakeyjake7
                            Max For Live.
                            Yeah FL also tried to include something similar to Reaktor too. They call it 'Chainer'. It doesn't do everything that Max for Live does(nor vise versa), but Max for Live doesn't do anything that you can't do in FL Studio that i've seen.

                            The whole non-linear approach to mixing/production is probably going to be the new thing in DAWs, but it's not really necessary it just simplifies some things with signal chains.

                            CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

                            Comment

                            • Mans0n
                              Sun and Stars
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 2907

                              #29
                              Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                              I mean if you REALLY wanted to you could mix songs, and do live sets in FL, but it would just be a mega bitch to do if going to 10+ minute lol.
                              http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Br0wnbread



                              Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P

                              Comment

                              • LogicalDefiance
                                FFR Player
                                • Apr 2009
                                • 49

                                #30
                                Re: Which DAW do you use any why?

                                Originally posted by Mans0n
                                I mean if you REALLY wanted to you could mix songs, and do live sets in FL, but it would just be a mega bitch to do if going to 10+ minute lol.
                                Not really. You can't beatmatch tracks without processing time and likely playback glitches/stops.

                                CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

                                Comment

                                Working...