Mechanical Flower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Zaevod
    FFR Player
    • Apr 2013
    • 385

    #16
    Re: Mechanical Flower

    I must say those comments confuse me a lot, especially because they can be pretty conflicting.

    I guess I'll need to study some music theory to understand what you mean, anyway. It's strange when someone basically tells you the enjoyment you get from a melody is an illusion.
    Last edited by Zaevod; 08-5-2013, 01:03 PM.
    https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

    Comment

    • Nullifidian
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Sep 2007
      • 1837

      #17
      Re: Mechanical Flower

      In what way do they confuse you?

      Comment

      • Zaevod
        FFR Player
        • Apr 2013
        • 385

        #18
        Re: Mechanical Flower

        "You're improving a lot" to "basically everything is fundamentally wrong". If both are right, that basically means I was atrocious and now I'm terrible. It's funnier than frustrating, actually. And I've also heard things like "the composition is good, but the mix is bad" (for other songs). But, as always, I'll take the worst criticism and try to improve. I didn't seriously think I needed to study music theory until now.
        https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

        Comment

        • Nullifidian
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Sep 2007
          • 1837

          #19
          Re: Mechanical Flower

          I don't know your previous works that well, but it very well could be that you're improving a lot. I may just have a high standard lol. I basically came in here as a blank and base my opinion on my standards, not on what you've previously produced.

          Comment

          • Zaevod
            FFR Player
            • Apr 2013
            • 385

            #20
            Re: Mechanical Flower

            I'm very curious. What do you say about the song in my signature? And do you like all the songs you've stepped (like Schmollbluk)?
            https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

            Comment

            • Frank Munoz
              Muein
              • Nov 2007
              • 2048

              #21
              Re: Mechanical Flower

              2:04 is a pretty solid example of "random notes".
              Your melodies aren't so random as is your structure and chords.
              You have chord irritations everywhere but it's not always bad to have them as well, but in most opinions you did not execute them very well.

              Now, even with a few structure issues, you could nearly vanquish them if you had a better understanding of how to mix and master; but you knew that already.
              Just keep practicing and you'll understand the small complexities that composing thrives on soon enough.
              Unknown and Unofficial
              may the good arrow guide you

              Comment

              • Zaevod
                FFR Player
                • Apr 2013
                • 385

                #22
                Re: Mechanical Flower

                What is a chord irritation?
                https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

                Comment

                • Nullifidian
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 1837

                  #23
                  Re: Mechanical Flower

                  Piano melody: The beginning although a bit basic in terms of composition works (although a bit generic and repetetive) but then:
                  0:20 sounds disonnant with the previous notes
                  0:26 doesn't fit with the notes before this
                  Introduction of the instruments at 0:30 is very sudden and no proper buildup to it. The percussion is very jumpy and gets on one's nerves very quickly. The secondary piano that's introduced here doesn't really complement the main piano melody.
                  The melody at 0:52 is also generic. The secondary piano at 1:12 is quite dissonant. 1:43 is really weird for a lack of better words. I know it's an attempt at climax but it's done in a cheesy incoherent mess. Not to mention the tone progression of this part.

                  What kind of mood are you trying to create with this? I don't see the intention of this song.

                  Comment

                  • ScylaX
                    urararararararara
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 1044

                    #24
                    Re: Mechanical Flower

                    The fact you're improving is indeniable but that doesn't contradict the fact there are clearly problems with your composition.
                    That doesn't mean your music is absolutely bad and somehow completely random, saying "everything is fundamentally wrong" is overcharging it. We're just saying there are clear fundamental *inconsistencies* (not sure if the word is totally appropriated) about how you construct your polyphony.
                    Suimega is my present username!!! (b-but feel free to call me scylaax anyway) | https://suimega.bandcamp.com/

                    Comment

                    • Frank Munoz
                      Muein
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 2048

                      #25
                      Re: Mechanical Flower

                      Originally posted by Zaevod
                      What is a chord irritation?
                      It's just a chord and/or series of chords that do not sound good together.
                      Which, yea sounds kinda like that's based on the listener but if you know what chords are and how they are composed you would know i guess.

                      ex:
                      Major chord = CEG
                      Major chord with a 7th = CEGB (7th chords create the most unique atmospheres imo)
                      And, now an example of a bad chord = CFGb

                      But even then, you can make any chord work if you execute it well but you have multiple "bad chords" in sequence.

                      Also, read Spitfires reply for some more stuff

                      AND, ScylaX's msg as well.
                      In reality, anyone from anywhere can and will find something wrong with a composition,
                      Last edited by Frank Munoz; 08-5-2013, 01:31 PM.
                      Unknown and Unofficial
                      may the good arrow guide you

                      Comment

                      • Nullifidian
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 1837

                        #26
                        Re: Mechanical Flower

                        I never said everything is fundamentally wrong btw, I only used that in my example to illustrate my point. There are some fundamental issues but I didn't mean everything is fundamentally flawed if that's what you got from that message.

                        Originally posted by Frank Munoz
                        Which, yea sounds kinda like that's based on the listener but if you know what chords are and how they are composed you would know i guess.
                        This is basically what I meant with my example. The more you understand something, the more you understand why it works or why it doesn't work.
                        Last edited by Nullifidian; 08-5-2013, 01:35 PM.

                        Comment

                        • Zaevod
                          FFR Player
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 385

                          #27
                          Re: Mechanical Flower

                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          0:20 sounds disonnant with the previous notes
                          0:26 doesn't fit with the notes before this
                          I thought it was pretty obvious that this was intentional, and I've heard tone shifts like this in a lot of songs.

                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          Introduction of the instruments at 0:30 is very sudden and no proper buildup to it.
                          I tend to enjoy sudden chords like that. No one had an issue with that before, and I thought the progression was pretty easy to follow...

                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          The percussion is very jumpy and gets on one's nerves very quickly. The secondary piano that's introduced here doesn't really complement the main piano melody.
                          Strange, since another musician once said "you have outstanding chord progression", referring to that part.

                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          The melody at 0:52 is also generic.
                          Where have you heard anything similar? Can you point out any song?

                          I hear generic songs all the time here and everywhere. A lot of songs in the game are terribly generic and, honestly, I think this is a lot less generic than most of them.

                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          The secondary piano at 1:12 is quite dissonant. 1:43 is really weird for a lack of better words. I know it's an attempt at climax but it's done in a cheesy incoherent mess. Not to mention the tone progression of this part.
                          Where do your standards come from, anyway? I understand having high standards is good, but you are clearly pointing out problems that don't exist.


                          Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                          What kind of mood are you trying to create with this? I don't see the intention of this song.
                          Oh well... It's meant to be a theme for an extremely hard part of a trial for my main character in the third book of my series. The context is a bit complex.


                          Anyway, I'm not asking you to enjoy my music, but I ultimately find it very hard to take most of your criticism seriously (and I almost always take criticism very seriously), as you tend to point out problems in a very forced way, almost wanting them to be there. It makes me seriously wonder what kind of music you enjoy, at all.

                          I'll study music theory, of course, but I have to disagree with most of your points. I'm seriously not that bad.
                          Last edited by Zaevod; 08-5-2013, 01:46 PM.
                          https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

                          Comment

                          • Nullifidian
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 1837

                            #28
                            Re: Mechanical Flower

                            Everybody is terrible until they are good lol.
                            My standards come from a couple of years of collecting music and listening to a lot of ambient, classical, IDM, breakcore and freeform hardcore. A lot of these genres have big emotion-packed melodies and progressions.

                            I know you don't see it like I do right now, but consider reading them again a year later or something and you might just realize I do have a point. It's hard to deal with criticism when the only way you get any feedback is from opinions of people that you can argue with. In programming for example the criticism is just a big ass error screen that you can't argue with, but opinions are basically that (except a tad bit more diverse and less black and white).

                            If you want, I can post some examples of songs with (what I think are) great melodies and progressions, songs that create a particular mood, to get an idea of the stuff I listen to.

                            Comment

                            • mi40
                              ᅠ
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 3655

                              #29
                              Re: Mechanical Flower

                              this aint planet karma but lets hope you get there in 10 years time

                              Comment

                              • Zaevod
                                FFR Player
                                • Apr 2013
                                • 385

                                #30
                                Re: Mechanical Flower

                                Originally posted by _.Spitfire._
                                If you want, I can post some examples of songs with (what I think are) great melodies and progressions, songs that create a particular mood, to get an idea of the stuff I listen to.
                                Please do. I still think most of your criticism is a matter of taste, instead of actual technical problems, and I disagree with most of it. Many of the "problems" you pointed out were completely intentional, and many people have enjoyed them as they are. I'm not saying there aren't problems, but I'm sure there are lots of good things, too.

                                You think you're the only one who has listened to music for many years? Don't you think you're being a bit too arrogant, here?
                                Last edited by Zaevod; 08-5-2013, 02:05 PM.
                                https://soundcloud.com/zaevod/the-glimpse

                                Comment

                                Working...