So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 25thhour
    I like max
    • Feb 2007
    • 2922

    #31
    Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

    How is it possible to make my computer wireless? Is that the network card?
    r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

    Comment

    • Kibblre
      Caelondia Represent
      • Jul 2004
      • 1984

      #32
      Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

      The network card will just cover a wired connection. Your best option for wireless would be a PCI wireless card.
      Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

      Comment

      • Zageron
        Zageron E. Tazaterra
        FFR Administrator
        • Apr 2007
        • 6592

        #33
        Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

        Originally posted by Kibblre
        I agree with the G.SKILL RAM. They're great sticks with lifetime warranties. I also agree with the Corsair PSU, but I think 1000 watt is unnecessary even for an OC. Also, MAKE SURE the PSU you get is gold rated. It'll be slightly more but it will last longer and run better.

        EDIT: Almost forgot, DO NOT GET THAT LIQUID COOLING. The Corsair H60 is a piece of crap. Mine and many other peoples' have started leaking in about a week. If you really wanted to get a self contained water cooling unit, get an Antec Kuhler H20 620 or 920.
        Yeah, you only need something over 850W if you are going for 3 or 4 video cards. Or if you have a dual processor board. It's all stability.

        The 850AX is Modular and Gold Rated.

        Wireless: DO NOT GET DLINK FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GG

        Comment

        • Kibblre
          Caelondia Represent
          • Jul 2004
          • 1984

          #34
          Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

          Originally posted by Zageron
          Yeah, you only need something over 850W if you are going for 3 or 4 video cards. Or if you have a dual processor board. It's all stability.

          The 850AX is Modular and Gold Rated.

          Wireless: DO NOT GET DLINK FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GG
          Hey Zag, I was thinking about getting a PCI wireless card since my Powerline Adapter I've been using just isn't cutting it. How do you feel about Rosewill?

          Specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166054
          Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

          Comment

          • 25thhour
            I like max
            • Feb 2007
            • 2922

            #35
            Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

            Case
            NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - White

            Case Lighting
            None

            iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
            None

            iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
            [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules

            Processor
            Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820 w/

            iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
            PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking

            Processor Cooling
            Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

            Memory
            16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

            Video Card
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 4GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 1046MHz - Single Card

            Video Card Brand
            Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA

            Motherboard
            ASUS P9X79 LE -- 2x USB 3.0

            Power Supply
            750 Watt - Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M Free Upgrade to 850 Watt Thermaltake SP-850M ($30 Savings)

            Primary Hard Drive
            120 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive

            Data Hard Drive
            500 GB WD VelociRaptor HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 10000 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

            Optical Drive
            24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

            2nd Optical Drive
            None

            Flash Media Reader / Writer
            None

            Meter Display
            NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature Display

            Sound Card
            ASUS Xonar DG

            Network Card
            Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

            There is no option for a wireless card :S
            r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

            Comment

            • Kibblre
              Caelondia Represent
              • Jul 2004
              • 1984

              #36
              Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

              - Didn't point this out before, but if you wanted to spend a little less you could just go with 8gb[2x4] CL8/9 RAM sticks. If you're just gaming, 8gb is good enough.
              - Once again, is that PSU gold rated? Make sure to put in the little extra money for that.
              - I've never used an Asetek liquid cooling unit. Once again, if Antec is something you can choose from then go with that. I have the Kuhler H20 620 I recommended earlier and my temps are about 43C while gaming when overclocking to 4.3ghz from 3.6ghz.
              Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

              Comment

              • Zageron
                Zageron E. Tazaterra
                FFR Administrator
                • Apr 2007
                • 6592

                #37
                Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                Originally posted by Kibblre
                Hey Zag, I was thinking about getting a PCI wireless card since my Powerline Adapter I've been using just isn't cutting it. How do you feel about Rosewill?

                Specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166054
                I have never heard of it, but the ratings are strong. Check out some off site reviews.

                --

                25th, I will say this again. Do not buy a computer from anywhere except NCIX. You are in Canada. You don't have to built it yourself, but you can price check and get insane deals and pick any parts that are available from NCIX. You pay $50 and they'll build it for you, or you build it yourself.

                Don't pay a likely insane amount of money for the computer to be built by this iBuyPower company.

                Comment

                • 25thhour
                  I like max
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 2922

                  #38
                  Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                  Originally posted by Zageron
                  I have never heard of it, but the ratings are strong. Check out some off site reviews.

                  --

                  25th, I will say this again. Do not buy a computer from anywhere except NCIX. You are in Canada. You don't have to built it yourself, but you can price check and get insane deals and pick any parts that are available from NCIX. You pay $50 and they'll build it for you, or you build it yourself.

                  Don't pay a likely insane amount of money for the computer to be built by this iBuyPower company.
                  Hmm, I'll go check them out some more. :P
                  r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                  Comment

                  • Senip
                    Forum User
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 611

                    #39
                    Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                    Dont buy from ibuypower, they tend to fall apart even worse than alienware.

                    SSDs are a godsend, I got one and everything boots so fast. Just install your main game/programs on there, put the rest on the 1 tb hd, and you'll be set.

                    Comment

                    • Kibblre
                      Caelondia Represent
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 1984

                      #40
                      Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                      Originally posted by Zageron
                      I have never heard of it, but the ratings are strong. Check out some off site reviews.
                      Ended up getting this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166076

                      My router supports a 5GHz network and I ran some speed tests and it does run faster than the 2.4GHz network.
                      Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

                      Comment

                      • 25thhour
                        I like max
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 2922

                        #41
                        Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                        Processor (CPU)

                        Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
                        (BX80623I72600K) (sku: 57960)
                        $345.98

                        CPU Cooling
                        Intel RTS2011LC CPU Liquid Cooling System 150MM Radiator 120MM 74CFM 35DBA LGA2011 LGA1155 1156 1366
                        (BXRTS2011LC) (sku: 66277)
                        $89.99

                        Motherboard
                        ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 SLI DVI HDMI DP USB3.0 Motherboard
                        (P8Z77-V LK) (sku: 71114)
                        $154.99

                        DDR3 Memory (RAM)
                        2 Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit
                        (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) (sku: 66354)
                        $173.96

                        Video Cards
                        AMD Radeon HD 7970 925MHZ 3GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
                        (AMD-ATI-RADEON-7970-3GB) (sku: 67550)
                        $449.99

                        Computer Case
                        Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid Tower Gaming Case 902 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5 1X2.5 USB 3.0 Audio No PSU
                        (NINE HUNDRED TWO V3) (sku: 58597)
                        $134.55

                        Power Supply
                        Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply
                        (HCG-620M) (sku: 67325)
                        $109.99

                        Lighting & Modding
                        NZXT Sentry 2 Touchscreen LCD Display 5 Channel 5.25IN Fan Speed Controller 10W Per Channel
                        (SENTRY 2) (sku: 42881)
                        $37.41

                        Operating System
                        Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit Full Version English OEM
                        (WN7-00404) (sku: 77180)
                        $107.98

                        Hard Drives
                        Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in Hard Drive OEM
                        (WD10EZEX) (sku: 74462)
                        $78.98

                        Solid State Drives - SSD
                        Corsair Force 3 Series 120GB 2.5in SATA3 6GB/S SandForce SF-2200 Solid State Disk SSD Firmware 1.3.3
                        (CSSD-F120GB3A) (sku: 77494)
                        $127.52

                        Network Card
                        Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
                        (ONBOARD-NETWORK) (sku: 33601)
                        $0.98

                        Sound Card
                        Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 Channel 16BIT 96KHZ PCI Sound Card
                        (XS71) (sku: 23460)
                        $3

                        Zaggy, This is from NCIX, How would this run?
                        r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                        Comment

                        • Zageron
                          Zageron E. Tazaterra
                          FFR Administrator
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 6592

                          #42
                          Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                          I would suggest going for EVGA Card and Board. (Personal preference)
                          Upgrade the PSU to a Corsair 850AX.
                          Processor is good.
                          Would seriously suggest the WD Black 1TB and the 2 or 3TB WD Green.
                          Drop the OS.

                          Comment

                          • Kibblre
                            Caelondia Represent
                            • Jul 2004
                            • 1984

                            #43
                            Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                            Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply

                            ^No. Gold rated.

                            EDIT: Also, I agree with Zag on both counts. The EVGA SC 670's are sexy; I have the 2GB model myself.
                            Last edited by Kibblre; 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM.
                            Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

                            Comment

                            • 25thhour
                              I like max
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 2922

                              #44
                              Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                              Sooo, toss up b/w gold and Corsair 850AX

                              EDIT:
                              850AX is 230 bucks.

                              I dont see any golds, theres a few platinums?
                              r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                              Comment

                              • Zageron
                                Zageron E. Tazaterra
                                FFR Administrator
                                • Apr 2007
                                • 6592

                                #45
                                Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                                It is gold:
                                Generate images, video, music, and TTS from one prompt. One permanent, mutable CDN URL your AI app can regenerate behind.

                                Comment

                                Working...