So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Zageron
    Zageron E. Tazaterra
    FFR Administrator
    • Apr 2007
    • 6592

    #16
    Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

    Originally posted by 25thhour
    I have my sisters ASUS that was bought in 2010 and it is completely broken. I hate it.
    No, it was probably an Acer.

    Comment

    • 25thhour
      I like max
      • Feb 2007
      • 2922

      #17
      Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

      Originally posted by Zageron
      No, it was probably an Acer.
      Nope its her 2400$ Asus N61JQ. I'm on it right now.
      r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

      Comment

      • Zageron
        Zageron E. Tazaterra
        FFR Administrator
        • Apr 2007
        • 6592

        #18
        Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

        Originally posted by 25thhour
        Nope its her 2400$ Asus N61JQ. I'm on it right now.
        Too expensive.
        Don't spend over $1400 after tax.

        Take a look at this one.

        Comment

        • 25thhour
          I like max
          • Feb 2007
          • 2922

          #19
          Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

          Im gonna build a gaming desktop then.
          r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

          Comment

          • Zageron
            Zageron E. Tazaterra
            FFR Administrator
            • Apr 2007
            • 6592

            #20
            Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

            Definitely the better option.
            One of my friends didn't listen to my advice, and demanded that he got a gaming laptop.
            He regrets getting it because he can't take it anywhere, it gets way too hot, and it doesn't run high requirements games. (Because it's a laptop)

            Comment

            • 25thhour
              I like max
              • Feb 2007
              • 2922

              #21
              Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

              Ill build one in a bit and post it.

              Would you reccommend overclocking it if I have little to no experience with PCs?
              r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

              Comment

              • FissionMailed1
                FFR Player
                • Feb 2012
                • 1267

                #22
                Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                The only thing you have to worry about with overclocking is over-volting your CPU. Just don't change the voltage and there won't be any risk of killing your CPU. However, overclocking is known to shorten the lifespan of the CPU no matter what. Newer Intel CPUs use "Turbo Boost" to automatically increase frequency if the option is enabled, so manual overclocking may not be necessary on one of these.

                I'm not sure about AMD processors; I haven't owned one myself, so I'll leave that as an exercise for you ;)


                YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

                MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

                YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

                YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

                THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

                I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.

                Comment

                • 25thhour
                  I like max
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 2922

                  #23
                  Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                  Case
                  NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - White

                  Case Lighting
                  None

                  iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
                  None

                  iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
                  [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules

                  Processor
                  Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3930K w/

                  iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
                  PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking

                  Processor Cooling
                  Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

                  Memory
                  16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1866 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

                  Video Card
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 4GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 1046MHz - Single Card

                  Video Card Brand
                  Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA

                  Motherboard
                  ASUS P9X79 LE -- 2x USB 3.0

                  Power Supply
                  1000 Watt - Standard

                  Primary Hard Drive
                  1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

                  Data Hard Drive
                  None

                  Optical Drive
                  24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

                  2nd Optical Drive
                  None

                  Flash Media Reader / Writer
                  None

                  Meter Display
                  NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature Display

                  Sound Card
                  ASUS Xonar DG

                  Network Card
                  Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

                  This costs 2400 before tax
                  r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                  Comment

                  • Zageron
                    Zageron E. Tazaterra
                    FFR Administrator
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 6592

                    #24
                    Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                    You live in Canada. Use NCIX.

                    As for a review of that system.
                    - You can downgrade that processor a few levels, you don't get much for that extra money.
                    - Harddrive wise, I would get: An Intel or Corsair 120GB SSD for os / system, a 1TB WD Black for secondary system, and a 3TB WD Green for storage.
                    - Motherboard looks good.
                    - RAM, definitely corsair or GSKILL.
                    - PSU Corsair, if you decide to OC get the 1000 but if you aren't going to OC get the 850AX.
                    - You do not need a network card.
                    - You do not need a meter Display. (but you might want one, so there you go)
                    - Good Video Card. Keep it. :D Yay EVGA.
                    Last edited by Zageron; 01-13-2013, 01:11 PM.

                    Comment

                    • 25thhour
                      I like max
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 2922

                      #25
                      Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                      Originally posted by Zageron
                      You live in Canada. Use NCIX.

                      As for a review of that system.
                      - You can downgrade that processor a few levels, you don't get much for that extra money.
                      - Harddrive wise, I would get: An Intel or Corsair 120GB SSD for os / system, a 1TB WD Black for secondary system, and a 3TB WD Green for storage.
                      - Motherboard looks good.
                      - RAM, definitely corsair or GSKILL.
                      - PSU Corsair, if you decide to OC get the 1000 but if you aren't going to OC get the 850AX.
                      - You do not need a network card.
                      - You do not need a meter Display. (but you might want one, so there you go)
                      - Good Video Card. Keep it. :D Yay EVGA.

                      So should my primary hard drive be a SSD? and the a normal 1TB HD as my data HD??
                      r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                      Comment

                      • FissionMailed1
                        FFR Player
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 1267

                        #26
                        Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                        Yes.


                        YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

                        MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

                        YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

                        YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

                        THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

                        I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.

                        Comment

                        • 25thhour
                          I like max
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 2922

                          #27
                          Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                          What is the benefit of a SSD?
                          r bae adam bae max bae bridget bae claudia bae trevor bae adam2 bae mayo bae keith bae

                          Comment

                          • FissionMailed1
                            FFR Player
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 1267

                            #28
                            Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                            Solid State Drives use no moving parts so they have much faster storage and retrieval times than conventional platter Hard Drives. This nets you faster load times, faster boot times, faster file copying, etc.


                            YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

                            MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

                            YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

                            YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

                            THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

                            I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.

                            Comment

                            • xNiX
                              FFR Player
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 1063

                              #29
                              Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                              Originally posted by FissionMailed1
                              Solid State Drives use no moving parts so they have much faster storage and retrieval times than conventional platter Hard Drives. This nets you faster load times, faster boot times, faster file copying, etc.
                              +1

                              Comment

                              • Kibblre
                                Caelondia Represent
                                • Jul 2004
                                • 1984

                                #30
                                Re: So I wanted to build a gaming laptop...

                                Originally posted by Zageron
                                You live in Canada. Use NCIX.

                                As for a review of that system.
                                - You can downgrade that processor a few levels, you don't get much for that extra money.
                                - Harddrive wise, I would get: An Intel or Corsair 120GB SSD for os / system, a 1TB WD Black for secondary system, and a 3TB WD Green for storage.
                                - Motherboard looks good.
                                - RAM, definitely corsair or GSKILL.
                                - PSU Corsair, if you decide to OC get the 1000 but if you aren't going to OC get the 850AX.
                                - You do not need a network card.
                                - You do not need a meter Display. (but you might want one, so there you go)
                                - Good Video Card. Keep it. :D Yay EVGA.
                                I agree with the G.SKILL RAM. They're great sticks with lifetime warranties. I also agree with the Corsair PSU, but I think 1000 watt is unnecessary even for an OC. Also, MAKE SURE the PSU you get is gold rated. It'll be slightly more but it will last longer and run better.

                                EDIT: Almost forgot, DO NOT GET THAT LIQUID COOLING. The Corsair H60 is a piece of crap. Mine and many other peoples' have started leaking in about a week. If you really wanted to get a self contained water cooling unit, get an Antec Kuhler H20 620 or 920.
                                Какой идиот придумал Бутерброд с дикобраза? Он хулиган и бездельник.

                                Comment

                                Working...