So I went to church tonight....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kynosaur
    FFR Veteran
    • May 2008
    • 678

    #61
    Re: So I went to church tonight....

    Originally posted by ryanisadouche
    suicide bomber attacks
    Just to remind you, this thread is about Christianity. Actually not even that, it's simply about church.


    I was encouraged, but not forced, to go to church when I was very young. I went along with it, it was ok, I had friends there, I believed in God etc etc, but that all stopped for some reason. I never stopped having a smidgeon of faith in God but it didn't go anywhere. Then my mum suggested we started going again, but I didn't enjoy it. We moved to a different church which was ok for a bit, but I didn't really like it there either. She still goes to this day, but I took well over a year to find a church that was suited to my views and practices.

    To sum it all up, not every Christian is the best example of Christianity.

    Originally posted by 0
    just mash without hitting boos

    Comment

    • Xx{Midnight}xX
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2007
      • 8548

      #62
      Re: So I went to church tonight....

      I for one don't believe in God period. But to those whom do I respect that you are going along with your lives as you wish to do so. Before I stop bealieveing I went to a lutheren church and it was moderatly entertaining. We have one heck of a piano player and choior that I respect dearly because I grew up knowing a lot of them. Then my Granda would take us out for lunch and then I would go home.

      BTW: We need more threads to flow like this one with these kind of questions.

      Comment

      • iceefudgesickle
        FFR Veteran
        • Aug 2008
        • 481

        #63
        Re: So I went to church tonight....

        But you see Izzy, that diagram only shows the different denominations of churches; the principle of Occam's Razor is that the explanation of a phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible. I don't see how the different kind of denominations make any kind of impact on the explanation of how God created the universe.

        Comment

        • Grandiagod
          FFR Player
          • Jul 2004
          • 6122

          #64
          Re: So I went to church tonight....

          Originally posted by iceefudgesickle
          Anyways, there isn't any solid evidence, any conclusive yes-or-no truth out there that can confirm whether Christianity is true or not, but the same can be said about everything that tries to explain the existence of life, such as evolution.
          Did you just say there's no solid evidence for evolution?

          BOOKS? DO YOU READ THEM?
          He who angers you conquers you. ~Elizabeth Kenny

          Comment

          • Kynosaur
            FFR Veteran
            • May 2008
            • 678

            #65
            Re: So I went to church tonight....

            Originally posted by Grandiagod
            Did you just say there's no solid evidence for evolution?

            BOOKS? DO YOU READ THEM?
            BOOKS? DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?

            Are you saying you will believe every word you read in a book, a newspaper, an article posted on the internet, etc. But if the Bible says it, you immediately pounce and start questioning it?

            Originally posted by 0
            just mash without hitting boos

            Comment

            • championanwar
              Ask Nuro! x3
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Music Producer
              • Jun 2004
              • 2588

              #66
              Re: So I went to church tonight....

              It's everyones opinion. Nobody can prove anything.
              Evolution is a theory. It is your choice whether you believe it or not.

              Originally posted by aperson
              all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
              aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
              aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
              Click Here

              Comment

              • Professor Raine
                FFR Player
                • May 2007
                • 1560

                #67
                Re: So I went to church tonight....

                I remember going to Church so I can have a hot meal and sleep under a roof o wait I was homeless back then before my ******ory. :<
                I met some really nice Jews that whoop my ass at Battleship though. >>;


                My simfilez ----
                :

                Comment

                • Afrobean
                  Admiral in the Red Army
                  • Dec 2003
                  • 13262

                  #68
                  Re: So I went to church tonight....

                  Originally posted by Grandiagod
                  You're partially wrong.

                  If they're arguing about the correctness of a certain religion yes. If they're arguing about the factuality of religion than the person saying it is false is the winner, it's just futile argument after that.

                  If it's a debate about the nature of religion (ie. is it good or bad, does it help the world or is it a liability, is it based on fear and indoctrination or a free will belief system) then legitimate debate can be had
                  That's right, but take a look at what most of these folks are saying. They're not debating the value or effect of religion in society, they're going "omg god is a lie lol" and "wtf no way gtfo ***".

                  _______________________

                  Originally posted by iceefudgesickle
                  When was there a suicide bomber for Christianity? You realize that the terrorists in the Middle East are islamic extremists, right?
                  Christians have done plenty of terrible things. Don't pretend that they didn't because I'm sure a quick search of things like "inquisition" or "crusade" could set you straight, to say nothing of modern atrocities like child molestation.

                  I don't quite understand how you can with all good conscience say "Religion is a scam, especially Christianity", when Scientology exists.
                  What does this mean? Scientology is perhaps the scammiest of all religions, but all organized religion has a bit of the features which one might attribute to being a scam. Things like being promised a prize of some kind for giving the organization a good or service. Things like asking for money and not giving any good or service in return. Another thing that people are easily displeased over is that if this life isn't the real life, then why have value in it, and thus, why should a person feel obligated to pay for religious materials or give money to religious organizations.

                  Anyways, there isn't any solid evidence, any conclusive yes-or-no truth out there that can confirm whether Christianity is true or not, but the same can be said about everything that tries to explain the existence of life, such as evolution.
                  No. Science has verified that evolution is real to as much degree as anything such as that can be considered proven. For example, by similar rights, gravity and basic physical laws are essentially proven, yet not technically.

                  In other words, on the question of evolution, there is an answer, and that answer is "yes". This alone doesn't mean religion is false, it just means that you may need to change interpretations to accommodate fact into your belief system.

                  There is evidence against evolution and evidence for it.
                  I am really considering just calling you stupid at this point. To hear you say that really makes me not even want to show a bit of respect towards you. Please, O mighty knower of knowings, tell me this "evidence" against evolution.

                  Same with Christianity.
                  Please, point me to something that is evidence that the fantastical elements appearing in the Christian bible are fact. And also, take notice that you cannot use the Bible itself as evidence of the Bible's proof. Not only would that be monumentally stupid, but that again is one of the fallacies identified in the link from earlier in the thread.

                  The problem is that people always ignore the evidence on the other side because with topics such as politics and religion, people don't like to turn from their opinions.
                  No, people have a fundamental problem with people not looking at things logically and basing their actions on feelings that often go against logic.

                  I'm Christian because it gives me something to hope for in my life, and because it just seems like it was the way it happened
                  Having hope doesn't make something true. This is a logical fallacy, and in fact, this fallacy is detailed in the thread linked to earlier in this thread.

                  ... like how the Bible fits so perfectly together and all that, it doesn't seem like humans could fake their way through something like the Bible.
                  You are seriously underestimating human creativity. There are thousands of years of Star Wars expanded universe history. It is most definitely all fictional. However, based on the concept that because it would be difficult to "fake", does that mean it must be true?

                  It also makes sense to me - just saying that some explosion happened and that created the planets makes even less sense then that a God showed up out of nothing and created everything.
                  It's not that matter just appeared out of nowhere and exploded and "created planets". Furthermore, if you can think it is reasonable to believe God has simply always existed, why can't you also think it reasonable to believe that the matter in the Universe has also simply always existed? You think it is more reasonable to believe God magicked the matter out of "thin air"?

                  Both sides of this make the assumption that it is possible for something to have always existed. One side identifies this as matter, and matter is something which is known to be constant in our everyday life. The other side identifies God, an entity which is not even known to truly exist, and if he is real, he most certainly exists on some other plain of reality that is unmeasurable from this plain.

                  ________________

                  Originally posted by Kynosaur
                  BOOKS? DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?

                  Are you saying you will believe every word you read in a book, a newspaper, an article posted on the internet, etc. But if the Bible says it, you immediately pounce and start questioning it?
                  The scientific community is entirely more likely to be truthful than a book compiled of ancient Jewish writings and more "modern" Christian writings of only about 2000 years old. Furthermore, the authors of the Bible are largely unknown, while scientific principles are put forth in respected publications and the sources are clearly identified.

                  _________________

                  Originally posted by championanwar
                  Evolution is a theory. It is your choice whether you believe it or not.
                  It is a theory like special relativity is a theory.

                  Some of you guys don't understand the difference between a simple theory and a scientific one. Please, you guys, read the wikipedia article and stop proving your ignorance. Here's a short section that especially relates to this as I am referring to it:

                  "For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity."

                  Comment

                  • robertsona
                    missa in h-moll
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 4000

                    #69
                    Re: So I went to church tonight....

                    LMFAO

                    Comment

                    • DossarLX ODI
                      Batch Manager
                      Game Manager
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 15013

                      #70
                      Re: So I went to church tonight....

                      Well, heaven is said to be an immaterial world. But I don't think people go to heaven or hell when they die, they just rot and time goes on. (Although that sounds harsh, that's the reality of it.)

                      Plus, I think religion is something that should have never been invented because earlier at the time of Martin Luther, the Pope would sell indulgences that would "make people go to heaven." But obviously Martin Luther knew this was ridiculous and had to rebel with his 95 theses. The fact that the church was dishonestly trying to convince people to pay money for something that didn't even do anything shows that religion is really useless (in my opinion.)

                      And another thing, religions also caused very horrible events (like the Holocaust for example.) Since the Nazis believe they would purify their religion by annihilating all Jewish people on site, that excuse caused the death of a LOT of innocent people. Plus, even if a Jew did kill the christian god, do you think ALL Jews did that?
                      Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 10-9-2008, 07:20 AM.
                      Originally posted by hi19hi19
                      oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                      Comment

                      • EAGAMES
                        Y0FACE!
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 4931

                        #71
                        Re: So I went to church tonight....

                        Originally posted by Grandiagod
                        Okay i seriously can't let this pass without RAGING, and i might submit this to fstdt for the hell of it

                        seriously google man

                        http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html
                        Please, I'm not trying to boast, but I study the bible from my own part, and I can safely say that it does not contradict itself. Also, you're link says,
                        IMPORTANT: Please keep in mind that by "inconsistencies" I do not necessarily mean "contradictions."

                        The bible is consistent with it's meaning, it's just being interpreted wrong. You have to take into account which profet wrote what, when, and to whom the message was directed, and why it was directed to them. Lets take for example this:

                        GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
                        HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

                        Genesis never says that being able to tell good from evil is bad. Simply, Jehovah (God) put boundaries to the first human couple (I forget why).

                        Acts referrs to one being able to tell what's good and bad. Luke wrote this in Rome (31 B.C. - 61 C.E.), in order to continue the history of primitive christian faith in order to have the fundamentels for a congregations.

                        You guys don't dig deep at all. Just because you're against religions, doesn't mean you should be against the bible. Just because you're mad the bible doesn't mean you should read everything that talks against it and automatically accept it. Get your facts straight first.

                        Sorry, but that site is wrong. I see multiple of texts that are implied the wrong way. There are some that I can't say off the top of my head what they meant, which means researching them. I just used the one above as an example. Once again, investigate!
                        Removed a .gif image so your total signature size isn't well over 1MB. Keep this in mind for the future.
                        5th Official FFR Tournament Scores (Division 5)
                        Round 1: Novo Mundo (AAA)
                        Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
                        Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
                        Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
                        Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
                        Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
                        Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
                        Originally posted by smartdude1212
                        EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him

                        Comment

                        • dore
                          caveman pornstar
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          FFR Music Producer
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 6317

                          #72
                          Re: So I went to church tonight....

                          yeah that site was pretty ****ty lol

                          Somebody has very biased critical reading skills.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREnpHco9mw

                          Comment

                          • kirjautunut
                            FFR Player
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 395

                            #73
                            Re: So I went to church tonight....

                            Everyone of you can see the sky above. If you are Christian, it's not bad. Everyone does what feels best. Christianity gives hope for some people, and they don't blame their selfs for the things they may have wrong. Someones doesn't believe in nothing, someones wants to be Christian, someones wants to believe in evolution, someones wants to destroy a whole world. What's the difference except that who wants to destroy a whole world? If people wants, then they believe. That's their own opinion and they can keep them for their selfs, it's different thing if guys wants to talk about it.
                            My opinion is more philosophical, than this Christian thing. But i still, there is nothing wrong in that. People doens't change that much if they are Christians or not.
                            I will catch you.

                            Comment

                            • Kynosaur
                              FFR Veteran
                              • May 2008
                              • 678

                              #74
                              Re: So I went to church tonight....

                              Originally posted by EAGAMES
                              Simply, Jehovah (God) put boundaries to the first human couple (I forget why).
                              Because they did the one thing He told them not to do. Therefore mankind lost direct "access" to God, which is why people nowadays find it so easy to dismiss the possibility of the existence of some higher being.

                              Originally posted by 0
                              just mash without hitting boos

                              Comment

                              • EAGAMES
                                Y0FACE!
                                • Dec 2006
                                • 4931

                                #75
                                Re: So I went to church tonight....

                                Originally posted by dore
                                yeah that site was pretty ****ty lol

                                Somebody has very biased critical reading skills.
                                Hey baby! <3

                                Originally posted by Kynosaur
                                Because they did the one thing He told them not to do. Therefore mankind lost direct "access" to God, which is why people nowadays find it so easy to dismiss the possibility of the existence of some higher being.
                                No, I forget why he put boundaries to the human couple, but you're right. I'll find out later just in case. *Takes shower.*
                                Removed a .gif image so your total signature size isn't well over 1MB. Keep this in mind for the future.
                                5th Official FFR Tournament Scores (Division 5)
                                Round 1: Novo Mundo (AAA)
                                Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
                                Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
                                Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
                                Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
                                Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
                                Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
                                Originally posted by smartdude1212
                                EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him

                                Comment

                                Working...