China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Adamaja456
    Absurd
    • Dec 2006
    • 6433

    #31
    Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

    Originally posted by tsugomaru
    You know, China isn't the only country in the world who has "better looking" people lip sing a song for a better appearance.

    Shame on the people who think that China is the only country in the world who does this type of thing. The only reason why anyone in this thread would see it as important was because they read this article and it had the label "China" on it. I'm not one to embrace China and its ways because I too believe that some of their actions are simply not right, an issue like this is not exclusive to China. Too many of you are focused on making China seem evil than the actual issue at hand.

    ~Tsugomaru
    yes, we all know it happens everywhere else. but the olympics are kind of a big deal at the moment. im not sure if you know that. and lip syncing with over 1 billion viewers during the opening ceremony is kind of a big deal. Yes it happens all the time, but during this specific time, its a bigger deal to people cause its the olympics, not just "China"


    582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
    602 AAAs(517+23+62)
    People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
    DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
    ~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
    4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
    Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
    dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)

    Comment

    • tsugomaru
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2004
      • 3962

      #32
      Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

      Originally posted by championanwar
      It's done by alot of people, yes. However that does not make it right.
      It doesn't make it right. But calling out China as a bad country because of it isn't right either. Which is what a couple people in this thread have been doing.

      EDIT: Also, how does the size of the event make something like this more important than even child soldiers? The degree of "bad" is not determined by the number of people who knows about it.

      ~Tsugomaru
      Last edited by tsugomaru; 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM.
      Originally posted by Hiluluk
      WHEN do you think people die...?
      When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
      When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
      When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
      IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

      Comment

      • championanwar
        Ask Nuro! x3
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Music Producer
        • Jun 2004
        • 2588

        #33
        Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

        China has a really bad reputation, for the way the country is run, (e.g. human rights, pollution, government corruption....) This is just adding more to the critics, and people who didnt want the olympics to even be in china.
        edit. Where did I say china was a bad country? My focus is on the olympics.

        Originally posted by aperson
        all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
        aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
        aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
        Click Here

        Comment

        • Shashakiro
          TWO THOUZAND COMBO
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Aug 2005
          • 9082

          #34
          Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

          wow neither of those things seem that bad to me at all

          Complaining about the fact that they didn't want to use the "uglier" girl on the stage is like complaining about an action movie that uses an unattractive stunt double for some of the action scenes to replace the more attractive actor IMO. People judge performers--especially females--by their attractiveness all over the world, and I'm sure the Chinese organizers knew this as well as anyone.

          As others have said...happens all the time. Whatever. I'm actually glad that they still kept the girl because her voice was great instead of just immediately rejecting her based on her looks.

          As for the fireworks thing...I read the article, which clearly stated that there were in fact fireworks, but it was just impossible to film them at a decent angle. It would be one thing if there weren't any fireworks and it was just completely fake, but it seems to me that they were just trying to let the TV-audience get a similar experience to what the live audience did without logistics getting in the way. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO.
          Last edited by Shashakiro; 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM.
          4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

          Originally posted by Boogiebear
          use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

          Comment

          • championanwar
            Ask Nuro! x3
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Jun 2004
            • 2588

            #35
            Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

            I'm not totally disagreeing with you on that, however - If you were that girl who had the crooked teeth, how would you feel?

            Originally posted by aperson
            all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
            aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
            aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
            Click Here

            Comment

            • wickedawesomeful
              Carls, Girls, & Drugs
              FFR Music Producer
              • Dec 2006
              • 3888

              #36
              Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

              There's nothing wrong with rejecting someone based on their looks and it's completely within their rights to do so. You can even do that in America. Looks is NOT one of the things protected from discrimination under the Constitution. I don't understand why everyone's worked up.
              http://dozemusic.com/

              Comment

              • championanwar
                Ask Nuro! x3
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Music Producer
                • Jun 2004
                • 2588

                #37
                Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                The only reason I think this is unfair, is that the girl who actually did sing, will get no recigition for what she did, and therefore will lose out.

                Originally posted by aperson
                all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
                aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
                aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
                Click Here

                Comment

                • wickedawesomeful
                  Carls, Girls, & Drugs
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 3888

                  #38
                  Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                  Originally posted by championanwar
                  The only reason I think this is unfair, is that the girl who actually did sing, will get no recigition for what she did, and therefore will lose out.
                  I hate to break it to you, but honestly, that's just too bad. Life is hard. Probably 80% of the music you listen to is written by songwriters, not the artist who performed it. Most of the time, they don't get any credit either. The girl obviously agreed to the arrangement. Nobody forced her to sing.
                  Last edited by wickedawesomeful; 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM.
                  http://dozemusic.com/

                  Comment

                  • tsugomaru
                    FFR Player
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3962

                    #39
                    Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                    championanwar, did I ever accuse you of saying that China was a bad country? In fact, I tried to make sure I didn't accuse you of it because I know you didn't say it. I did however, want to make my statement without calling out names.

                    ~Tsugomaru
                    Originally posted by Hiluluk
                    WHEN do you think people die...?
                    When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
                    When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
                    When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
                    IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

                    Comment

                    • MrRubix
                      FFR Player
                      • Sep 2026
                      • 8340

                      #40
                      Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                      Look, even the actual singer herself has been quoted to say that she's okay with it -- she's at least happy that they kept her voice. If you want the source, I'll get it -- too lazy right now. EDIT: Ah hell with it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...ics2008.china1

                      I mean, part of me is upset through empathy. If I were that girl, I'd be upset if someone else was chosen because they were better looking than me, and yet they have the advantage of showing their face to the world while utilizing my talents. Even though the real singer is the real talent of that performance, the "cuter" girl is still going to have a huge step-up in recognition and career just because she's "the girl who sang at the Olympics" despite the fact that all she had to do is look pretty. It just hits a raw nerve with me when image becomes so much of a priority.

                      Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's just interesting because I totally knew Beijing was going to pull things like this.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

                      Comment

                      • Shashakiro
                        TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 9082

                        #41
                        Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                        Originally posted by championanwar
                        I'm not totally disagreeing with you on that, however - If you were that girl who had the crooked teeth, how would you feel?
                        If I was recognized as having a singing voice so beautiful that I could represent the youth of my country with it, I'd be downright ecstatic, even if I wound up getting lip-synced for.

                        But this is mostly because I don't care almost at all about my own attractiveness, which I'm sure is partly because I'm male. Obviously I have no idea how the girl actually felt.
                        4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                        Originally posted by Boogiebear
                        use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                        Comment

                        • championanwar
                          Ask Nuro! x3
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          FFR Music Producer
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 2588

                          #42
                          Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                          Originally posted by wickedawesomeful
                          I hate to break it to you, but honestly, that's just too bad. Life is hard. Probably 80% of the music you listen to is written by songwriters, not the artist who performed it. Most of the time, they don't get any credit either. The girl obviously agreed to the arrangement. Nobody forced her to sing.
                          Originally posted by MrRubix
                          Look, even the actual singer herself has been quoted to say that she's okay with it -- she's at least happy that they kept her voice. If you want the source, I'll get it -- too lazy right now.

                          I mean, part of me is upset through empathy. If I were that girl, I'd be upset if someone else was chosen because they were better looking than me, and yet they have the advantage of showing their face to the world while utilizing my talents. Even though the real singer is the real talent of that performance, the "cuter" girl is still going to have a huge step-up in recognition and career just because she's "the girl who sang at the Olympics" despite the fact that all she had to do is look pretty. It just hits a raw nerve with me when image becomes so much of a priority.

                          Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's just interesting because I totally knew Beijing was going to pull things like this.
                          Originally posted by Shashakiro
                          If I was recognized as having a singing voice so beautiful that I could represent the youth of my country with it, I'd be downright ecstatic, even if I wound up lip-syncing for someone.

                          But this is mostly because I don't care almost at all about my own attractiveness, which I'm sure is partly because I'm male. Obviously I have no idea how the girl actually felt.


                          From these posts, my opinion has changed.

                          Originally posted by aperson
                          all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
                          aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
                          aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
                          Click Here

                          Comment

                          • Shashakiro
                            TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 9082

                            #43
                            Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                            also, I do agree with rubix that it's quite unfortunate that the "pretty" girl gets public credit as a singer too...but not much can be done about that. As wicked said...that's how the world works, and it's not about to change.
                            4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                            Originally posted by Boogiebear
                            use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                            Comment

                            • Netjet!
                              Sic itur ad astra
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 4701

                              #44
                              Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                              Request to move this to Critical Thinking :P
                              RIP Steve Van Ness <3

                              Comment

                              • MrRubix
                                FFR Player
                                • Sep 2026
                                • 8340

                                #45
                                Re: China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

                                In China, being an attractive female is a major step up. I have countless, countless, countless examples to prove this. It's just this sort of reinforcement, in my eyes, of how image-driven China is. I see it all the time in business, in sports, in media, etc, and it's done to a much greater extent in China than almost any other country I've looked into.

                                My own girlfriend is a very attractive and well-known Chinese female in the modeling business, and it's crazy how easy things come to her sometimes just because of her looks. Not that I blame such people for it, but I just have a gripe with the whole "getting ahead because of looks" concept. I should add that she's indeed talented and brilliant -- but I've seen plenty of people with skills in the same arena who will never get the same kind of recognition or accolades.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

                                Comment

                                Working...