Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flyleef
    FFR Player
    • May 2007
    • 401

    #16
    Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

    What's sample? What's wrong with using presets? Why don't you like the song?
    Why is it only 'somewhat interesting?' What's wrong with the melody?
    Why don't you explain yourself? Are you sure your an aspiring musician?
    Last edited by Flyleef; 09-20-2007, 08:24 PM.
    No matter how many times the colors of the seasons change,
    these feelings will never wither, swaying like a flower
    If this is just a dream, then let it be a dream. I don't care.
    My heart, filled with loving radiance
    Is forever thinking of you.

    These words that we play are a pleasant melody
    All I want is to have you by my side,
    so that I won't lose my smiling eyes
    even on a night when we can't see the twinkling of the stars.

    Comment

    • Dimitri13
      FFR Player
      • Jun 2004
      • 701

      #17
      Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

      Sampling is where you take bits and pieces of other music and use it in your own.


      Originally posted by Tibs
      Originally posted by arsonistsgetallthegirls
      changing Antarctica into a desert
      good thing theres lots of sand under all the ice

      Comment

      • Flyleef
        FFR Player
        • May 2007
        • 401

        #18
        Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

        Originally posted by Dimitri13
        Sampling is where you take bits and pieces of other music and use it in your own.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_%28music%29
        Alright, so then can anyone tell me what's wrong with the song? He always has something negative to say about my songs, but nothing positive. Does he want to say anything positive? "somewhat interesting."
        It's either interesting or not.

        I need constructive-criticism OrgasnisM!

        btw, there's no reason to sample on a video game song... xD
        No matter how many times the colors of the seasons change,
        these feelings will never wither, swaying like a flower
        If this is just a dream, then let it be a dream. I don't care.
        My heart, filled with loving radiance
        Is forever thinking of you.

        These words that we play are a pleasant melody
        All I want is to have you by my side,
        so that I won't lose my smiling eyes
        even on a night when we can't see the twinkling of the stars.

        Comment

        • Dimitri13
          FFR Player
          • Jun 2004
          • 701

          #19
          Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

          The point of getting criticism is to find out what's wrong with it, so you can improve it.

          And I do agree, doug31 is pretty much the only one who really said anything constructive. Everyone else just suggested where it should be, or how good they thought it was :X


          Originally posted by Tibs
          Originally posted by arsonistsgetallthegirls
          changing Antarctica into a desert
          good thing theres lots of sand under all the ice

          Comment

          • Flyleef
            FFR Player
            • May 2007
            • 401

            #20
            Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

            The point of getting criticism is to find out what's wrong with it, so you can improve it.
            Did OrganisM do that? I think not.
            No matter how many times the colors of the seasons change,
            these feelings will never wither, swaying like a flower
            If this is just a dream, then let it be a dream. I don't care.
            My heart, filled with loving radiance
            Is forever thinking of you.

            These words that we play are a pleasant melody
            All I want is to have you by my side,
            so that I won't lose my smiling eyes
            even on a night when we can't see the twinkling of the stars.

            Comment

            • OrganisM
              FFR Player
              • Oct 2006
              • 2644

              #21
              Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

              Originally posted by Flyleef
              What's sample?
              Sampling is taking samples from libraries of sound or other sound sources.

              What's wrong with using presets?
              Because it shows, and it's ugly. If you create things yourself, it will sound more organic, and have a lot more personality to it. Plus without any production, it sounds really weak.

              Why don't you like the song?
              Because it's repetitive and really poorly made with bad samples and horrible panning and production. I'm taking the time to point this out and answer your questions because I'm trying to help you improve. Take the melodies you have, find some sound libraries around the net, and arrange your songs with more variety.

              Why is it only 'somewhat interesting?'
              Because it has vague promise but needs a lot of work.

              What's wrong with the melody?
              It's repetitive and you have terrible samples running.

              Why don't you explain yourself?
              I just have.

              Are you sure your an aspiring musician?
              Yes, I'm quite sure, and I don't appreciate your insult based on my questioning of your poor abilities.

              I've just helped you out and explained myself fully, so you've no need to be rude.

              EDIT:

              Originally posted by Flyleef
              Did OrganisM do that? I think not.
              Dear god, I was gone for all of an hour and you start declaring my points nullified. Get a grip man, and stop commenting me when I don't give you an immediate response. I respond at my leisure, not at your bidding. I'm helping because I'm kind, not because it's required of me.

              Originally posted by Flyleef
              Alright, so then can anyone tell me what's wrong with the song? He always has something negative to say about my songs, but nothing positive. Does he want to say anything positive? "somewhat interesting."
              It's either interesting or not.

              I need constructive-criticism OrgasnisM!

              btw, there's no reason to sample on a video game song... xD
              I'm not going to say something positive when I don't have anything positive to say. You ask for an honest opinion, and I've always given it. You claimed last time that you weren't whining about my opinion just because it was negative, and now you really can't say that without looking stupid.

              I've just given you constructive criticism, oh mighty one, and please do forgive me that my punctuality isn't to your liking. Get over it.

              Now, I'm going to go eat dinner, so don't expect a reply within the next 10 to 15 minutes.
              Last edited by OrganisM; 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM.
              .

              Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
              "If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
              because the venom gets into the blood stream which
              spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
              changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

              Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."


              Originally Posted by
              MrRubix[link]:
              "Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

              Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
              "My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

              Comment

              • Flyleef
                FFR Player
                • May 2007
                • 401

                #22
                Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                [QUOTE=OrganisM;1794828]Sampling is taking samples from libraries of sound or other sound sources.

                Because it shows, and it's ugly. If you create things yourself, it will sound more organic, and have a lot more personality to it. Plus without any production, it sounds really weak.
                All I did was use instruments that came with my purchase of FL Studio.
                How does it show? Why is it ugly? How will it sound more organic and have a lot more 'personality' to it. Production? Weak?

                Because it's repetitive and really poorly made with bad samples and horrible panning and production.
                The panning is even.

                It's repetitive and you have terrible samples running.
                Ever played RPGs? Most Video Game songs loop after like 2 minutes.

                btw, honestly I don't even know how I made the song. It sounds like it was from a really good Video Game. My friends thought that was from a Video Game when I played it on my computer


                Let's hear one of your songs!
                Last edited by Flyleef; 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM.
                No matter how many times the colors of the seasons change,
                these feelings will never wither, swaying like a flower
                If this is just a dream, then let it be a dream. I don't care.
                My heart, filled with loving radiance
                Is forever thinking of you.

                These words that we play are a pleasant melody
                All I want is to have you by my side,
                so that I won't lose my smiling eyes
                even on a night when we can't see the twinkling of the stars.

                Comment

                • Dimitri13
                  FFR Player
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 701

                  #23
                  Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                  Well, after finally listening to your song, it's pretty cool. It sounds a bit tinny though. And it definitely sounds like a haunted town or bright(not dark and spooky) dungeon kind of music. It could use some more bass kind of sounds, and maybe a faster part?


                  Originally posted by Tibs
                  Originally posted by arsonistsgetallthegirls
                  changing Antarctica into a desert
                  good thing theres lots of sand under all the ice

                  Comment

                  • Flyleef
                    FFR Player
                    • May 2007
                    • 401

                    #24
                    Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                    Originally posted by Dimitri13
                    Well, after finally listening to your song, it's pretty cool. It sounds a bit tinny though. And it definitely sounds like a haunted town or bright(not dark and spooky) dungeon kind of music. It could use some more bass kind of sounds, and maybe a faster part?
                    Lol. Cool, thanks.
                    No matter how many times the colors of the seasons change,
                    these feelings will never wither, swaying like a flower
                    If this is just a dream, then let it be a dream. I don't care.
                    My heart, filled with loving radiance
                    Is forever thinking of you.

                    These words that we play are a pleasant melody
                    All I want is to have you by my side,
                    so that I won't lose my smiling eyes
                    even on a night when we can't see the twinkling of the stars.

                    Comment

                    • OrganisM
                      FFR Player
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 2644

                      #25
                      Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                      Originally posted by Flyleef
                      All I did was use instruments that came with my purchase of FL Studio.
                      That's exactly what I'm saying, your samples are very poor, and your recording could have a lot more character.[/quote]

                      How does it show? Why is it ugly? How will it sound more organic and have a lot more 'personality' to it.Production? Weak?
                      The fact is that I can hear that you used presets. Using "reverb" and other acoustic properties you can make your recording sound lush and vibrant, with the Deftones being a great example. Listen to "Cherry Waves" and you'll hear that wet-sounding feel. A lot of that's reverb, and it's part of what makes the song sound beautiful.

                      Production is basically the process of recording music, from the first recording (drums, bass, etc) to overdubs (vocals, extra vocals), to mixing (the most important step which I'll explain in a second), and mastering (putting it to tape). Ever hear a song where it has a unique sound? That's the producer. They take the parts of the song and arrange them left to right (panning) make sure everything comes out clear, and provide an overall character and feel. They do a lot more than that, but that's just the start.

                      The panning is even.
                      Part of what makes a recording unique and interesting is the way it is arranged from left to right, or panned. When you run your stuff in mono evenly across both channels, it lacks a lot of the complexity that makes music beautiful.

                      Ever played RPGs? Most Video Game songs loop after like 2 minutes.
                      Ever played the majority of fantasy games in the past seven years? Like FFX-2? I don't recall those being two minute loops. There are a bunch of other examples, but I've spent enough effort in this post already, so you can easily figure it out yourself. These are not the midi days anymore.
                      .

                      Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
                      "If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
                      because the venom gets into the blood stream which
                      spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
                      changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

                      Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."


                      Originally Posted by
                      MrRubix[link]:
                      "Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

                      Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
                      "My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

                      Comment

                      • Zageron
                        Zageron E. Tazaterra
                        FFR Administrator
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 6592

                        #26
                        Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                        Yeah this song sounds like a level 1 dungeon. Or a Underground Tunnel. With no monsters. But definitely a dungeon or a Gloomy Town.

                        Comment

                        • Dimitri13
                          FFR Player
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 701

                          #27
                          Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                          Originally posted by OrganisM
                          Ever played the majority of fantasy games in the past seven years? Like FFX-2? I don't recall those being two minute loops.
                          Yeah, they've evolved past the 2 minute loops, and went to 3-4 minute loops :X


                          Originally posted by Tibs
                          Originally posted by arsonistsgetallthegirls
                          changing Antarctica into a desert
                          good thing theres lots of sand under all the ice

                          Comment

                          • OrganisM
                            FFR Player
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 2644

                            #28
                            Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                            Originally posted by Dimitri13
                            Yeah, they've evolved past the 2 minute loops, and went to 3-4 minute loops :X
                            Did you just read what I said? Listen to the FFX-2 soundtrack.

                            I don't see any simple loops there. D'oh.
                            .

                            Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
                            "If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
                            because the venom gets into the blood stream which
                            spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
                            changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

                            Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."


                            Originally Posted by
                            MrRubix[link]:
                            "Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

                            Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
                            "My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

                            Comment

                            • zajac
                              aka uAnimals
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Aug 2003
                              • 4050

                              #29
                              Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                              Flyleef. I think we've already had this discussion before. You wonder why you're getting so much feedback on where the track belongs, instead of HOW is the song itself, all simply due to the fact that this type of a thread belongs out of Chit Chat and in the Musician's Jungle Gym instead... You're not gonna get contructive critisism from producers if you post in Chit Chat...

                              With that said. I gave it a listen and I have this to say. Constructive critisism that you want badly from an actual producer.

                              The beginning is alright. It definately sounds like something from an old nintendo game, or a gameboy, something you definately wouldnt find in today's generation of adventure games. There definately needs to be much much more substance. Your actual 'substance' stopped at :50 and continued on, and on, and on, and on, and on not changing for the better to keep the player interested in actually adventuring until 1:40... Which happens to just go back to the same thing you had for the first :50 seconds...

                              Again. You definately need more substance. Some other type of synths to spice up the mix, and especially some other type of melodies to make things interesting.

                              Either this was the sound you were going for, but if it's not, then with the quality of what you've shown me, it definately belongs in some type of an outworld (not underground) dark forest, type of thing, place, whathaveyou...

                              If you WERE going for a town kind of feel, you definately need a faster tempo, and even as an 8bit sounding meoldy, needs drums and quick and sharp 'horns' so to speak...

                              Anyways... To sum it up. Keep up the work. I'll be looking forward to seeing further loops for your game in development. And remember. If you expect actual criticism from producers, make a thread in the Musician's Jungle Gym where it belongs in the first place... Best of luck with everything!

                              EDIT: And good God, guys! This goes out to both Organism and Flyleef! Quit turning any thread the two of you happen to post in together into a huge bitchfest! Just look at this thread!

                              Same thing I did in that thread, I am envoking now in this thread... Through the power invested in me by seniority in these forums, I unofficially call this thread closed... Flyleef... You've had a crapload of feedback, and actually had a solid critiquing by myself, which is more than enough feedback for a 2 minute ambience track... The both of you just drop it with constantly being at eachother's necks... Thank you in advance...
                              Last edited by zajac; 09-21-2007, 02:52 AM.
                              Originally posted by Spec & Aperson
                              We Rate You: Cool Motherfucer. 9/10

                              Comment

                              • OrganisM
                                FFR Player
                                • Oct 2006
                                • 2644

                                #30
                                Re: Adventure Song for my Video Game!*

                                Originally posted by zajac
                                With that said. I gave it a listen and I have this to say. Constructive critisism that you want badly from an actual producer.

                                Again. You definately need more substance. Some other type of synths to spice up the mix, and especially some other type of melodies to make things interesting.

                                EDIT: And good God, guys! This goes out to both Organism and Flyleef! Quit turning any thread the two of you happen to post in together into a huge bitchfest! Just look at this thread!
                                Wow, you're an ass. I know a bit about production, and much of the advice you gave him I had already given. I took the time to answer his questions and help him out, far more than you did, and you tell me I turned it into a bitchfest? Piss off, tool.

                                You act as if you have some sort of supreme higher power and are the only one that knows about production. You said some of the exact same things I've already said, so how are they more valid after you say them?

                                Christ, I do the mature thing and try to help out, and you have to come in and tell me my advice doesn't count after you post it as your own.

                                Don't ever tell me what to do or say again.

                                PS:

                                Originally posted by zajac
                                Flyleef. I think we've already had this discussion before. You wonder why you're getting so much feedback on where the track belongs, instead of HOW is the song itself, all simply due to the fact that this type of a thread belongs out of Chit Chat and in the Musician's Jungle Gym instead... You're not gonna get contructive critisism from producers if you post in Chit Chat...
                                Not ONE person told him to move the thread where it should've been, myself included. NOBODY did. Read the thread, won't you? And who says he got anything else but constructive criticism? That's what everyone in this thread gave him, myself included once more. And I know a bit about production, thank you.
                                Last edited by OrganisM; 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM.
                                .

                                Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
                                "If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
                                because the venom gets into the blood stream which
                                spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
                                changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

                                Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."


                                Originally Posted by
                                MrRubix[link]:
                                "Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

                                Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
                                "My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."

                                Comment

                                Working...