Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tsugomaru
    FFR Player
    • Aug 2004
    • 3962

    #16
    Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

    Not all Boy Scouts are anti-homosexual or believe strongly in it, especially my Troop. But then again, our entire troop isn't very highly religious or anti-homosexual if at all. It's just what makes my troop the awesomest in the world.

    I have my reasons to enjoy scouting and remain loyal to it. I've found and kept a great friendship through scouting. It's one of those we-can-read-each-others-minds type of friendships. In addition, I enjoy camping and our troop goes camping pretty much every month and sometimes even more, which is awesome.

    Almost Eagle. Sooner or later I'll have to do that Board of Review, but I'm trying to delay it, I don't want to plan a big Eagle CoH.

    ~Tsugomaru
    Originally posted by Hiluluk
    WHEN do you think people die...?
    When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
    When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
    When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
    IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

    Comment

    • spyke252
      FFR Player
      • Oct 2006
      • 181

      #17
      Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

      Originally posted by tsugomaru
      Not all Boy Scouts are anti-homosexual or believe strongly in it, especially my Troop. But then again, our entire troop isn't very highly religious or anti-homosexual if at all.
      Same here, we have a lot of jews, a few muslims, many atheists and agnostics in my troop.
      We aren't anti-homosexual either, at least any more than the schools are. Actually, we're probably less anti-homosexual.

      Sorry to see that you hated your experience in Scouting, Squeek. But please don't generalize all boy scout troops in the same category.
      Originally posted by Tokzic
      is the repetition of the last line a metaphorical comparison of the dependance of society on technology today versus the more natural lifestyle of the late nineteenth century

      Comment

      • Squeek
        let it snow~
        • Jan 2004
        • 14444

        #18
        Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

        No, Scouts assumes you're Christian. Trust me, I can prove it. If I can dig up the handbook that is. One of the requirements had to do with being active in your faith.

        Also, it's possible that it was just my area, but we had mandatory church services to attend along with a bunch of other troops.

        Catholic or not, you had to attend a Catholic mass. It was quite sad, really.

        Comment

        • tsugomaru
          FFR Player
          • Aug 2004
          • 3962

          #19
          Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

          Then why were you in scouting? Apparently, you have only two great scouting moments in your ten years of scouting, it doesn't seem like a very good investment in your time, especially if you thought it was pointless.

          Well, the fact still remains that my troop isn't very religious at all. The closest thing we do involving a religion is setting up a Christmas tree every year at the old-folks home.

          I've heard rumors of athiest scouts that pass their Eagle Board of Reviews so I'm not inclined to believe that you have to believe in a religion to pass it, you just need a damn good answer.

          ~Tsugomaru
          Originally posted by Hiluluk
          WHEN do you think people die...?
          When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
          When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
          When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
          IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

          Comment

          • Chrissi
            FFR Player
            • Mar 2004
            • 3019

            #20
            Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

            Homosexuals are not allowed in Scouts. If they find out, they have to kick you out. Fact. It's against their moral standards.
            C is for Charisma, it's why people think I'm great! I make my friends all laugh and smile and never want to hate!

            Comment

            • jamuko
              FFR Player
              • Jan 2004
              • 1083

              #21
              Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

              I was a Brownie when I was little too... finally bridged and became a Junior Girl Scout but then did absolutely nothing after that point.

              Of course, Girl Scouts win over Boy Scouts off the bat because of their delicious cookies (I sure did hate having to go door-to-door though).

              Well, years later, I got dragged to Girl Scout Camp over the summer with my friend who was still a registered Girl Scout. It was actually a blast. I ended up going several times in the following years, eventually becoming a Counselor-In-Training and then an intern (Junior Counselor). I still consider the possibility of going back as a full-fledged counselor for my summer job, but... while more interesting than a typical job, it's quite exhausting and stressful, and, well... I need my internets. D:
              ♪~
              Always Happy! Smile! Hello!
              I like delicious things
              I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
              So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
              There's lots of happiness in my pocket
              So let's play forever~

              Comment

              • Squeek
                let it snow~
                • Jan 2004
                • 14444

                #22
                Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                Originally posted by tsugomaru
                Then why were you in scouting? Apparently, you have only two great scouting moments in your ten years of scouting, it doesn't seem like a very good investment in your time, especially if you thought it was pointless.

                Well, the fact still remains that my troop isn't very religious at all. The closest thing we do involving a religion is setting up a Christmas tree every year at the old-folks home.

                I've heard rumors of athiest scouts that pass their Eagle Board of Reviews so I'm not inclined to believe that you have to believe in a religion to pass it, you just need a damn good answer.

                ~Tsugomaru
                I was in it because my parents wanted me to be in it. I don't get it. I told them I'd rather take a martial art or a musical instrument. You know, somewhat useful things.

                I dropped my Catholic beliefs when I was maybe... 15? So, the way I (as an "athiest") passed the Eagle Board of Review (which sucked, by the way. Remember those kids I mentioned whose parents were all leaders and they all hated me? Guess who was on the board) was by this little trick we call lying.

                Oh, yeah. I go to mass every weekend. Go Jesus!

                Oh, I'll totally look into being a counselor or community service after Scouts. Yeah, it's my lifelong dream to clean up after those who are too stupid to help themselves.

                Tell you one thing though, my favorite non-trip event (that happened to be mandatory) was delivering phone books. We'd break so many traffic laws hauling those things around. It was also the day I discovered I could have a dozen cans of soda and still be able to drink a two Powerades during a basketball game followed by a Slurpee provided by our coach since we won that game.

                Oh, and eat an entire pizza. That too.

                Delivering phone books sure makes you thirsty and hungry.

                ps - did I mention I set a record for most popcorn sold in my troop? Yeah, I'm the greatest. I never did that door-to-door crap either.

                Comment

                • tsugomaru
                  FFR Player
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3962

                  #23
                  Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                  Only younger scouts do that door to door crap. The older scouts get smarter and ask their parents to bring it to work for them. Employees get popcorn, scout does less work, which is what I do now. =\

                  Bah, your experiences in scouting are different than mine. The most useful "skill" I've picked up in scouting is just the experience. If I find myself in a situation where I'm stuck in the woods, I would know what to do. If I find someone who requires first aid, I know some. But once again, this is just from my view; I'm comparing myself to other school friends, who are afraid of sitting on cement.

                  ~Tsugomaru
                  Originally posted by Hiluluk
                  WHEN do you think people die...?
                  When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
                  When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
                  When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
                  IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

                  Comment

                  • Fryguy9
                    FFR Player
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 26

                    #24
                    Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                    Got my Eagle through Troop 66 in 1997. Damn I'm getting old.

                    Comment

                    • jamuko
                      FFR Player
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 1083

                      #25
                      Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                      I hate when kids at camp FREAK OUT upon seeing a bug. What do they want me to do about it? It's the WOODS. There will be bugs. :/

                      There are those big wolf spiders which I admit could be kinda scary to a kid, especially since they do bite if they get trapped in a sleeping bag with you or something, but even so... it's nothing to flip a wig over. I was always the designated bug-trapper because I was the only one willing to go near the things without smashing them. :/

                      I forgot where I was going with this.

                      In any case, people do need to learn how to live happily without the comforts of a nice home. It's nice to have all those things you love, but you don't NEED them. When you become dependent on them, you're only hurting yourself. People freak out way too much about natural elements of the world like bugs and dirt, and I really think they need to lighten up and realize that the world we live in is not going to kill them.
                      ♪~
                      Always Happy! Smile! Hello!
                      I like delicious things
                      I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
                      So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
                      There's lots of happiness in my pocket
                      So let's play forever~

                      Comment

                      • Squeek
                        let it snow~
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 14444

                        #26
                        Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                        Can I be afraid of bears?

                        Cuz... when we were backpacking in the Rockies, it was during the huge forest fires they had out there, which meant all the bears and such migrated south... into the area we were hiking in.

                        People tend to stop caring about spiders when faced with the possibility of a bear peeking into their tent.

                        Speaking of animals doing stuff, when I spent that week on the deserted island, deer broke into our food supply cabinet and stole a bit of our stuff.

                        Key phrases to note:

                        1) Deer on an island.
                        2) Deer smart enough to untie knots holding the door of a food cabinet closed. You know, deer without HANDS.
                        3) Deer who, after breaking into a viable food source, only took two things.

                        Comment

                        • tsugomaru
                          FFR Player
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 3962

                          #27
                          Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                          I've known horses who could untie knots. Especially the horse I rode on my one week trip at Philmont. I'd tie him to the tree when I need to leave him and he'd always untie himself somehow, and It's definitely not because of lousy knot work. However, it's a good thing he's lazy too; once he unties himself, he'd start sleeping.

                          Oh yah, things to note, I wanted to treat my horse to an apple from my lunch, he rejected every single bit I gave to him. >=[

                          He's also a maverick. He never hangs out with the other horses and he's always doing something alone.

                          ~Tsugomaru
                          Last edited by tsugomaru; 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM.
                          Originally posted by Hiluluk
                          WHEN do you think people die...?
                          When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
                          When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
                          When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
                          IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

                          Comment

                          • Squeek
                            let it snow~
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 14444

                            #28
                            Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                            That horse trip was so, so boring.

                            When I went, it was one big "follow the leader" with two hundred horses. That was it. One really big line of people riding horses.

                            Comment

                            • jamuko
                              FFR Player
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 1083

                              #29
                              Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                              When we went out into the complete wilderness (i.e. off "campus") we had to tie our food bags way up in the trees so that bears couldn't get to them. It was called bear-bagging.

                              I also once saw... BABY RACCOONS!!!!!!!!!!!

                              No one can deny me my excitement over that. They were freaking adorable.
                              ♪~
                              Always Happy! Smile! Hello!
                              I like delicious things
                              I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
                              So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
                              There's lots of happiness in my pocket
                              So let's play forever~

                              Comment

                              • tsugomaru
                                FFR Player
                                • Aug 2004
                                • 3962

                                #30
                                Re: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Venturers, and Explorers

                                Philmont sure has changed. There were only 100 or so horses at base camp, so only two groups could go at one time. Our group had 15 or so people go, the other had about 50. The trail rides can be quite boring, but our wrangler had a ton of riddles to keep us entertained for hours.

                                ~Tsugomaru
                                Last edited by tsugomaru; 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM.
                                Originally posted by Hiluluk
                                WHEN do you think people die...?
                                When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
                                When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
                                When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
                                IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...