so I finally cracked open Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gold stinger
    Signature Extraordinare~~
    Event Staff
    Game Manager
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Music Producer
    Global Moderator
    • Jan 2007
    • 6429

    #16
    Re: so I finally cracked open Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

    so does god exist, and if he doesn't, did he exist, I like a good religious argument
    Last edited by gold stinger; 03-7-2015, 11:02 PM.
    Originally posted by YoshL
    butts.


    - Tosh 2014






    Comment

    • choof
      Banned
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Nov 2013
      • 8563

      #17
      Re: so I finally cracked open Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

      implying any religious argument on the internet is a good one

      Comment

      • Charu
        Snivy! Dohoho!
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Mar 2006
        • 6207

        #18
        Re: so I finally cracked open Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

        Yeah


        Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
        Charu the red-nosed Snivy
        Had a very shiny nose
        And if you ever saw it
        You could even say it glows

        All of the other Snivies
        Used to laugh and call him names
        They never let poor Charu
        Join in any Snivy games

        (Click the arrow to see the rest)


        Originally posted by Vendetta21
        All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

        Comment

        • Arch0wl
          Banned
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Dec 2002
          • 6344

          #19
          Re: so I finally cracked open Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

          Originally posted by choof
          I agree with nearly everything he says in the book, but I don't agree with how it's presented

          his writing style just comes off as high-and-mighty, it's almost as if he was in a perpetual state of offense when writing this book and he makes it a point to iterate over and over just how toxic religion/belief in a higher power is
          Telling people that they're wrong about some deeply held belief is a lot like trying to tell a guy he's in the friend zone.

          If you are ambiguous in any way, or if you give any leeway for that person to latch on to some ray of hope for whatever end they're pursuing, they will.

          Not only is right-wing media very good at doing that, they use this motivation to stretch the Overton Window. If you don't know what that is, it's when you take an extreme position knowing that an audience is going to look for the middle between your position and the position you're opposing. If I want an audience to concede something like "eating animals is bad" and you think "eating animals isn't bad" I can take the position of "eating animals is murder" and then a hopeful mediator will rush in and say "woah woah woah guys, I'm sure we can find some common ground here. I think we can all agree eating animals isn't the best thing, but it isn't murder..." and then I've convinced the audience to stretch their views implicitly and gotten what I wanted.

          The God Delusion is written the way it was because Christianity in a 2nd-term Bush presidency was far less willing to reconcile disagreement than it is now. I mean, you were there, you remember. You can read his tone as "if you're going to look for an out every time my tone sounds forgiving, then let's be clear because nothing I'm saying is saving you from being wrong." Applying what Tyson called "a sensitivity to their state of mind" would have just enabled the same Overton shifts that happened before. Sometimes, you do need to completely and utterly reject all merits a person's argument purports to have, even if it comes off as rude or insensitive in doing so.

          Comment

          Working...