RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Squares, the Cube
    Companion Cube
    • Aug 2008
    • 69

    #16
    Re: RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

    Originally posted by Crashfan3
    THIS is exactly why I do not have an Xbox 360. (Or any current-generation system for that matter, but I wouldn't be opposed to owning a PS3.)
    I quite detest my Xbox 360, but it was a birthday gift. I would much rather own a PS3 or any of the older consoles. The problem I have with new age gaming is how product and cost don't seem to agree with each other. Paying $65 for a decent game is outrageous. Games are too easy, and you beat them way too fast these days.

    I like the older consoles because when you spent $40 or so on a game, you got the entire game. No DLC shit you had to buy later or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, being able to buy expansions for games is great, but most companies market their expansions as whole new games. Example: Streetfighter games and CoD games. This is a cheap (though genius) marketing tactic.

    The reason I like PS3 is because you don't have to pay anything to play online. Now this is when most people will say "Oh, PSN sucks. 360s is better." Well, no s***. You pay for Xbox Live. But when did online MAKE gaming? When was it absolutely necessary in order to truly enjoy a game? In a world of samey first-person shooters, mediocre MMOs, and a flood of games that are barely decent/really short, anything that promotes you spending more money on this crap should be banned.

    Comment

    • Crashfan3
      FFR Player
      • Nov 2006
      • 2937

      #17
      Re: RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

      You speak my mind, sir.

      I hate walking into a store and seeing games that I know are 5/10 and 6/10 (gamespot rating) titles going for that nasty $60 price tag. They're bad, but when they're made by big publishers like Ubisoft and TakeTwo. Of course they're gone in a month and replaced by other mediocre games selling for the same price. Then you have the lesser-known publishers with their lesser known games who, if they manage to get their games on a big-box store shelf, sell their games for $30. These are the ones I tend to buy more of, because even if they're not so great, at least I didn't pay a small fortune for them. But even this little shred of happiness will go away soon. Big studios are buying up the little guys and pretty soon there won't be any left, and all the games will be $60, or hell, even $80 maybe.

      And you're right about the whole DLC bullshit. It's an excuse to half-ass a game in development, finish it later, and in the end make $90-$120 off of a game that, in most cases, nobody will remember in 5 years. These aren't games like Ocarina of Time that are doing this, they're run of the mill CoD titles that nobody plays once the new CoD comes out.

      If you're like me want to have fun with game consoles but don't want to feed and promote the sorry state that the game industry is in, buy yourself an old used console and a few games for it. Who needs online multiplayer? What happened to the days where you actually went out and made friends and got together for some Mario Kart, as opposed to playing some rando in Poland that you'll never meet...

      BTW: My rule to take a console's launch price, divide it by 12, and that's the most I'll pay for its games. I don't always follow it though; there are a few REALLY good games that demand an exception.
      Last edited by Crashfan3; 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM.

      Comment

      • Squares, the Cube
        Companion Cube
        • Aug 2008
        • 69

        #18
        Re: RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

        Addressing Crashfan3:

        You are definitely the kinda person I could play N64 with all day and have a great time. Load up on the snacks and sodas, and have a day of nostalgia. Assuming you didn't have enough N64 controllers, don't be alarmed. I've got six.

        Originally posted by supermousie
        Cool to see someone siding with Microsoft on this, but the points they made aren't really supporting their argument. So they address what irks people about them, but what do they use to support the argument?

        1. MS cards are always on sale and cheaper than PSN cards. Given this information, how does it support the fact that getting rid of the point system is bad? It doesn't. It's not really part of the argument, and should only be considered as a side note that "Oh, PSN is a bit more expensive.

        2. The rewards factor. Companies giving out free MS Points or being able to earn them through competitions. This doesn't explain why eliminating points would be bad either. Why can't competitions just get you free stuff? Why do you need the points? Why can't you go straight to the merchandise?

        3. Tax issue. Now, in most cases, people are buying the MS Points. Buying something so you can get about 20% off doesn't make any since. Ever paid $40 to get 20% off of something else? Unless that something costed like $200+ (20% of $200 = $40), you're not saving anything.

        The problem I have with online currency is you are paying real money for fake money. They aren't interchangeable. Lets say you spend too much and you're in a bind. You can't take your MS Points to Microsoft or any other distributor and sell them. Paying real money for fake money is illogical. It would be like using real money in Monopoly to get those blue 50s.

        Comment

        Working...