PS3 not to play used games?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • evilbutterfly
    FFR Player
    • Apr 2003
    • 5784

    #16
    RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

    While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3
    We'll see when it comes out, I guess? But if this is true, especially with the shitty Sony hardward and not being able ot play old games on a new system, this would really piss me off.
    So I've gone completely slack-ass and haven't done any work on creating games. =(

    In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

    So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
    And I write the blog for their website.

    Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O

    Comment

    • Moogy
      嗚呼
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Aug 2003
      • 10303

      #17
      RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

      Okay, 87x, we get it. You like the 360. Stop posting it in every thread vaguely related to next-gen consoles.

      Anyway, I'm still going to get the PS3, along with the Revolution. I'm actually considering picking up the 360, if for no other reason than I have the money to do so. A mod chip will probably be a requirement for any real PS3 action if this story is actually real. Hell, I'll probably mod the 360, too, because it uses regular old DVDs, not this Blu-Ray crap.

      In all honesty, if you have enough money, this won't matter at all. If it's even true.
      Plz visit my blog

      ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

      Comment

      • 87x
        Retired Staff
        • Dec 2002
        • 4379

        #18
        RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

        Moogy, I knew you loved me.

        Anyway, to avoid my usual Demotion/Promotion posts, I have decided to just concer with the rest of the people here when they said "This sucks". Well, it doesn't suck for me because I won't be getting one, but it sucks for all those Sony kids who are going to pick one up. Not being able to play used games is a horrible Idea. Sony is going to bomb if this is forreal.


        RAVEnHEXa: Lip ring is because I want to be a professional piercer.
        87x: more like.. professional goth.

        Comment

        • ToshX
          FFR Player
          • Feb 2004
          • 5111

          #19
          RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

          This is the reason that may stop be from buying the PS3. Unless I want to buy a game immediately(SC3, TOS, other games), I usually don't actually get interested in it until it becomes used anyway. That is when I just get games used for usually $20 cheaper, and they run just perfectly, even today. Considering how many games I plan to buy, it will be more than $300 of extra money spent from buying games new instead of used. If they go through with this, I'm just getting the 360. I will also probably get the Revolution if I find any reason to do so.

          Comment

          • lord_carbo
            FFR Player
            • Dec 2004
            • 6222

            #20
            RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

            If the PS3 is as reliable as PSP, then you'll have to buy 2 or 3 copies of every one of your games.

            GFG SONY
            last.fm

            Comment

            • Kilgamayan
              Super Scooter Happy
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Feb 2003
              • 6583

              #21
              Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

              Originally posted by 87x
              Please stay on topic.
              I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.

              Comment

              • Tokzic
                FFR Player
                • May 2005
                • 6878

                #22
                RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                "Hey Bob?"

                "Yes Joe?"

                "Can I borrow FFXVI?"

                "Sure you can! I'll just go grab it and - O shi, Bob, I forgot, Sony are more money-obsessed than hobos and therefore burned an, "Only the PS3 of Bob can use this game" seal on it!"

                "Well damn, I guess I'll have to go and contribute more money to their satanic cause if I want to play FFXVI, and for all I know I'll hate it."

                GJ Sony.

                Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

                Comment

                • evilbutterfly
                  FFR Player
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 5784

                  #23
                  RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                  Wait a minute....how would this even work? I mean, for this to work the PS3 would have to be able to write to the disc itself and change it. This whole blu-ray thing is all advanced and has smaller tracks and would be a hell of a lot harder to write to, wouldn't it? And you know Sony is worried about the PS3 costing too much, so why would they include a friggin blu-ray disc writer in the machine? And even if they did, for it to work the game companies would have to agree and not write-protect their games, but leave a little space. Some shitty companies would jump on this, but others actually care about their costumers somewhat.

                  The point is, I don't see how this would work at all. It's probably just speculation and ideas for the future. Kinda like those rental movies that destroy themselves as you watch them. How many people use those?
                  So I've gone completely slack-ass and haven't done any work on creating games. =(

                  In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

                  So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
                  And I write the blog for their website.

                  Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O

                  Comment

                  • suicidalmuskrat
                    FFR Player
                    • Oct 2003
                    • 739

                    #24
                    RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                    "Sony has dispelled the rumor that the PlayStation 3 would make use of a new DRM system that would prevent gamers from playing used games. A SCEE spokesperson recently stated, “this is false speculation… PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console.” Rumor extinguished."

                    From http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000213068073/
                    I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.
                    Done, and done.

                    Comment

                    • lord_carbo
                      FFR Player
                      • Dec 2004
                      • 6222

                      #25
                      RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                      Sounded too good to be true. I wanted Sony to fail this gen =/ Ah well. Although I won't deny believing this rumor, I will tell you I thought it was a tad fishy, especially with the whole writable-thing eb mentioned.
                      last.fm

                      Comment

                      • suicidalmuskrat
                        FFR Player
                        • Oct 2003
                        • 739

                        #26
                        RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                        Well, they've supposedly developed a method for doing it. Otherwise this story would never have been started. They filed a patent. So I'd assume they are capable of doing it, they just won't implement it.
                        I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.
                        Done, and done.

                        Comment

                        • -Fallen-
                          xqsite OG
                          • May 2005
                          • 2836

                          #27
                          RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                          Well I know now I am surely buying a Revolution.
                          One of the original members of the xqsite + FFR community.
                          BlankZero - 15 year vet + RobbyZero - 15 year vet

                          Comment

                          • suicidalmuskrat
                            FFR Player
                            • Oct 2003
                            • 739

                            #28
                            Re: RE: Re: RE: PS3 not to play used games?

                            Originally posted by -Fallen-
                            Well I know now I am surely buying a Revolution.
                            Why? Did you read the couple posts above? This thread was just a RUMOR which has been declared false.
                            I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.
                            Done, and done.

                            Comment

                            Working...