Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DayMan951
    yfwdbwdsb
    • Dec 2007
    • 2255

    #16
    Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

    I'm leaning towards #4. #3 could work, but it seems like it'd be really annoying after a while.

    Comment

    • Villiex
      FFR Player
      • Apr 2008
      • 327

      #17
      Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

      Synthlight, thanks a lot for addressing this. I certainly do know the value of advertisements placed on a page visited as often as the game itself. Choices 3 and 4 would both be fine by me personally. I like choice 4 more myself, but wouldn't hate if either one was put into effect. Like DayMan said, 3 may eventually tend to get on my nerves (but not as much as my "coputer" being crippled, of course).
      Originally posted by knuckles2224
      What's does a mental block look like? Is it a bear?

      Comment

      • Synthlight
        Administrator
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Administrator
        • Nov 2002
        • 3060

        #18
        Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

        The text ads used to do really well until that company turned the world upside down with some changes. I won't mention the company name but I think they did their publishers and advertisers both harm with the changes they made. As a result we find ourselves serving crappy ads on the game page.

        And those ads have to go.

        I just wish there was an easy way to make everyone happy with this.

        Cheers,

        Synthlight

        Comment

        • OnixRose
          FFR Player
          • Aug 2006
          • 1023

          #19
          Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

          synth I like idea # 4, because, if I understand you correctly, then you could just click a "skip this ad button" at the upper right corner or something, like I've seen on multiple sites, and I just click the skip button before the ad even fully loads so it's not ever a problem for me

          1000% supporter of FFR character additions
          Originally posted by leonid
          FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.

          Comment

          • foilman8805
            smoke wheat hail satin
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Sep 2006
            • 5704

            #20
            Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

            I actually made a video a couple days ago about this ad, ironically enough. That's the only add that really causes me any problems.

            The video shows how slow the engine runs when it's on the top screen, and as I try to open FFR, it takes about 15 seconds longer than it should. I also click on Dance and you can see how slow the rows come down. Then, I try to click the genre wheel and it barely moves.

            I'll upload the video to YouTube and edit with the link in a bit.

            Comment

            • Waffl3
              FFR Player
              • Feb 2008
              • 702

              #21
              Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

              Originally posted by Commandersa1
              You could make a poll, post it on the front page for a day.
              QFT

              I like the idea of having a 4-5 second ad appear before the game play, then afterwards no ads. Because some of these flash ads have crashed my browser.

              Comment

              • foilman8805
                smoke wheat hail satin
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Sep 2006
                • 5704

                #22
                Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                Screw the edit. Like I said, I took the video like three days ago. I was pretty mad too, because I can't play FFR at all whenever that ad is there.

                Comment

                • Villiex
                  FFR Player
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 327

                  #23
                  Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                  @Synthlight: I wish there was an easy way as well. To be honest with you, I would be happy enough if using both the redirect ad and the pre-roll ad was the only worthy way of solving this.

                  @foilman8805: That's the one. I commented at Youtube since you put it there, in case you care.
                  Originally posted by knuckles2224
                  What's does a mental block look like? Is it a bear?

                  Comment

                  • rushyrulz
                    Digital Dancing!
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 12985

                    #24
                    Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                    +1 for option 4.


                    Comment

                    • foilman8805
                      smoke wheat hail satin
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 5704

                      #25
                      Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                      Yeah, if something could be implemented like how it is for FFRock, that would be neat, and totally acceptable.

                      Just show an ad while the engine loads.

                      Hell, you could even keep ads on the side of the page, and even above, as long as their not bandwidth whores like some of the ones are now.

                      Comment

                      • Synthlight
                        Administrator
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        FFR Administrator
                        • Nov 2002
                        • 3060

                        #26
                        Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                        Originally posted by foilman8805
                        Yeah, if something could be implemented like how it is for FFRock, that would be neat, and totally acceptable.

                        Just show an ad while the engine loads.

                        Hell, you could even keep ads on the side of the page, and even above, as long as their not bandwidth whores like some of the ones are now.
                        The problem is not that they are bandwidth whores. It has more to do with them being flash ads and the flash taking up CPU cycles that takes away from FFR itself. It is very difficult and sometimes impossible to tell the advertising companies not to use flash ads and only static single image ads or animated gifs.

                        I am brewing up an idea here.

                        Cheers,

                        Synthlight

                        Comment

                        • Tasselfoot
                          Retired BOSS
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Jul 2003
                          • 25185

                          #27
                          Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                          Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
                          Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
                          Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
                          Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing
                          RIP

                          Comment

                          • sumzup
                            (+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 1398

                            #28
                            Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                            Well, now I feel guilty for using Adblock Plus to bypass ads...but I will console myself with the fact that I never click on ads anyways, and that I will probably buy a subscription in the future.

                            As others have said, options 3 or 4 sound the best; there's not much of a downside to either.
                            -----
                            Edit:

                            Double, double, toil and trouble;
                            Fire, burn; and caldron, bubble.

                            Comment

                            • inflames07
                              FFR Player
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 470

                              #29
                              Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                              What about more ads on main page and profiles?



                              Originally posted by jewpinthethird
                              Sex kills time and it's free.

                              Instead of taking her out to a movie and buying her popcorn, bend her over the arm of a couch. It's very economical. Just make sure you are using the proper protection, because then it can become VERY, VERY GOD DAMN UNECONOMICAL if she pops a baby 9 months down the road.

                              Comment

                              • sumzup
                                (+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 1398

                                #30
                                Re: Coputer-Fatal Animated Ads

                                There are already a lot of ads there, and it wouldn't really replace the revenue generated from the actual "FFR the Game" page, if I'm interpreting Synth correctly.

                                Comment

                                Working...