How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • WTFBrandon
    Shout out to Hades
    • Mar 2007
    • 1387

    #16
    Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

    It doesn't work like that.
    People are giving you different stories because everybody finds what is comfortable for them alone.
    Me personally, I hunch up my shoulders and just hit the keys needed.
    Takes time and practice to find a way that fits your needs and takes time.
    The more you jack, the better you will get at it.
    Practice more jack songs like Zagh's Cruel World or get people to give you names.
    That's the file that i'm currently working on to FC.
    I'm a bad bad Boy.

    Comment

    • Patashu
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Apr 2006
      • 8609

      #17
      Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

      yeah, play lots of songs with jacks every day until you get it

      some good ones are Zaghurim's Privateer Oni, ElectricWerewolf's Turbo Oni, Yesssss's Trisection v1 Oni
      Patashu makes Chiptunes in Famitracker:
      http://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mechadragon/smallpackbanner.png
      Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
      http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

      Comment

      • gnr61
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Oct 2005
        • 7251

        #18
        Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

        Originally posted by Sprite-
        Either you can do it, or you can't. I don't think you can learn it. It's something that you can do since forever (at least for me).
        not quite. i was unable to vibrate until maybe 5 or 6 months ago. i sort of taught myself the technique and just kept practicing until i could actually do it and it works. tense up your arm as much as you can, try leveling it at an angle down at the keyboard, and kind of force your arm to tremor on the two keys. you'll probably start off by kind of sliding your arm around awkwardly on the keyboard, but if you do this long enough (every few songs maybe, you dont want to hurt yourself lmao) you'll start to develop control. you can pretty much practice anywhere on any surface but if you don't want to look very strange i'd stick with stepmania. some terrible files to practice on:
        finale (1st cetaka minipack, can be found in simfile database)
        jackhammer madness--start off using your right hand for the first jack (or mirror it) until you can pass it. this is draining as hell and i still can't do it lol.
        kil's gaussian blur 3--just go as long as you can pretty much. builds endurace.

        to an extent, i'm pretty sure vibrating ability is a biological predisposition. some people are naturally better at it than others. however for basic applications (250 bpm edit, aztec templing, files with random longer jacks), i think just about anyone can learn to vibrate enough to help on certain scoring files.
        squirrel--it's whats for dinner.

        Comment

        • Ground_Breaker
          FFR Veteran
          • Jun 2007
          • 789

          #19
          Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

          I think it's perfectly learnable, but the hardest part isn't speed as much as it is control. You pretty much just have to do it a lot to get better, and (at least this is how it is for me) you'll develop both speed and control alongside each other. But, like gnr said, don't do it repeatedly.
          fgsfds

          Comment

          • stavie33
            FFR Player
            • Aug 2006
            • 1925

            #20
            Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

            thanks so much guys! Special thanks to gnr61 and WTFBrandon for specifically helpful posts! I'll keep practicing...thanks! And I can to what I call a "drill" which is vibrating for short bursts (ex. I can perfectly hit every jack in Big Blue without any effort, but those are easy, and I have sometimes drill AAA'd the up jacks in bmv51)

            And that's like I start a little early (but still hit perfect) and then move with my wrist while pushing my arm down closer to the key to make up for the distance lost from low stamina, but it doesn't work long enough for any significant jacks (trying to FC crowdpleaser, because I honestly believe I'll FC Almost There before I FC that)
            It's getting better all the time
            I used to get mad at my school (No, I can't complain)
            The teachers who taught me weren't cool (No, I can't complain)
            You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
            Turning me round (Oh Oh)
            Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

            Comment

            • DossarLX ODI
              Batch Manager
              Game Manager
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Mar 2008
              • 15013

              #21
              Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

              Also keep in mind that certain keyboards can affect vibrating too, on a laptop or flat keyboard your fingers literally bounce when vibrating
              Originally posted by hi19hi19
              oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

              Comment

              • Xx{neon}xX
                FFR Player
                • Dec 2007
                • 500

                #22
                Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                i agree with dossar flat keyboards or keyboards with laptop keys are so much better then those ones you get with your computer it actually affects vibrating alot
                Originally posted by Sprite-
                Either you can do it, or you can't. I don't think you can learn it. It's something that you can do since forever (at least for me).
                this is not true it takes alot of practice and as soon as your able to vibrate for a couple seconds then you keep practicing and practicing until you get really good but you dont only want to be good at vibrating id practice at your stamina b4 learning how to vibrate so that when you do learn to vibrate youll have some stamina
                Last edited by Xx{neon}xX; 12-26-2008, 07:50 AM.
                Originally posted by [TeRa]
                dossar and isaac gave birth to neon
                cousins of this family explainz all dese nigs poppin out of nowhere like yo im a vibragod waz good bro This is why I stopped vibrating, I realized I didn't stand a chance against the Johansson family.

                Comment

                • i love you
                  Live a wonderful life~
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 7315

                  #23
                  Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                  Vibrating is definaltely learnable. When I first came into FFR, i didn't know how to vibrate but then by playing SM a lot and doing a lot of jacky songs, my hand starts to get faster during jacks and eventually, when i kept on practicing it for over a year, i could finally do it and over time, it seems to get easier.

                  PS: Yes, the kind of keyboard you have plays a major role of how well you can vibrate. (I'm still not 100% sure about that, just agreeing with dossar)
                  ===============================
                  The idea that RDCP 3 may come out in the future is a fun thought to have~
                  ===============================

                  Comment

                  • TC_Halogen
                    Rhythm game specialist.
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 19376

                    #24
                    Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                    It does have a major effect if you have a flat keyboard. Like mentioned before, if you can vibrate properly on a flat keyboard, the recoil literally makes your finger bounce, which allows you to go REALLY fast. But if you have raised keys, your hand doesn't get the same response back from the keyboard, making the vibrate a little slower.

                    Comment

                    • GG_Guru
                      Let em' do what they want
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 3219

                      #25
                      Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                      A harder way to learn how to be able to vibrate would be, and this is what I did and still am working on, to continously play FGO songs over and over until you start to feel that burn on your wrist, you get what I mean?

                      Basically what I'm trying to convey is to be good at something you need to work till it hurts at least that way you gain endurance and stamina.

                      I can only vibrate accurately with my right hand because back then I used to play with only 2 fingers for about a good 8 months until I discovered index and spread.

                      Comment

                      • stavie33
                        FFR Player
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 1925

                        #26
                        Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                        yeah, my keyboards extremely flat, and thanks everyone! Off to practice!!
                        It's getting better all the time
                        I used to get mad at my school (No, I can't complain)
                        The teachers who taught me weren't cool (No, I can't complain)
                        You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
                        Turning me round (Oh Oh)
                        Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

                        Comment

                        • supersonicpwns
                          FFR Player
                          • May 2008
                          • 216

                          #27
                          Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                          for jacking (since i play index style), i use my middle finger (considering my middle finger is faster than my index finger) and it works fine.
                          Originally posted by iCyAJ
                          Haiku's are easy
                          But sometimes they don't make sense
                          Refrigerator
                          rawr.

                          Comment

                          • supersonicpwns
                            FFR Player
                            • May 2008
                            • 216

                            #28
                            Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                            Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
                            Also keep in mind that certain keyboards can affect vibrating too, on a laptop or flat keyboard your fingers literally bounce when vibrating
                            true. for me, its easier with a keyboard like DossarLX ODI (or a laptop's keyboard).
                            Originally posted by iCyAJ
                            Haiku's are easy
                            But sometimes they don't make sense
                            Refrigerator
                            rawr.

                            Comment

                            • sp1nzoK
                              FFR Player
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 580

                              #29
                              Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                              vibration is definetly learnable, my left index tps went from 8.6tps to 13-13.6tps max with sheer technique. Which is pretty much what many people here said, I tense my arm from elbow towards my hand, really forcing that tension makes it shake harder, then your arm angle affects how well it shakes too, elbow tilted high in air is very bad for it, elbow tilted down below is better but still crap, elbow in line with your hand is optimal to me. Just try some crap out you'll get it sometime and I guess training your arms by excercising can help with control and doing the vibro action alot seems to improve you over time slightly, especially controlling it.

                              Comment

                              • rushyrulz
                                Digital Dancing!
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 12985

                                #30
                                Re: How do you vibrate? (For those who need to do better at jacks)

                                I can vibrate, I just can't vibrate accurately.. or on the right key...

                                Practice with a pencil on a desk. Once you can vibrate the clicks faster than you can trill with 2 hands not vibrating, you've got it down.


                                Comment

                                Working...