I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Xx{Midnight}xX
    FFR Player
    • Aug 2007
    • 8548

    #16
    Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

    I agree while there is a bunch of dificult songs non index freindly, they need some Index freindly ones... that are hard.

    Comment

    • hi19hi19
      lol happy
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Oct 2005
      • 12194

      #17
      Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

      Originally posted by Justice Beloved
      ....but does this game really need like 300 levels? I'm sorry but a lot of them aren't much different from each other. At the expense of cutting the game down, you only need so many levels before you've essentially played every level, and all the levels that follow are just.... old.

      Maybe this comment isn't very constructive; I guess what I'm wondering is if there's ever going to be a set number of levels? Like, when 3rd style comes out, is production on this current version of R1 (whatever you call it) going to halt?

      It just seems like every level from difficulty 7 up follows a pattern of:

      red, yellow, blue, yellow, JUMP, yellow, blue, yellow, JUMP, yellow, JUMP, yellow, JUMP, yellow, blue, yellow..... and so on.

      Or, you have your classic jumpstream level, where, in a desperate attempt to make the level hard(er than it needs to be), everything became a jump, whether or not it was musically inclined.

      And then there are your genuine fresh levels. And I haven't played EVERY level (I played more when I didn't have an account), but I've seen my friend play them and a lot of them look.... well.... similar. =/

      Okay, I'll ask a valid question: when 3rd style comes out, what happens to production of the current version? Or, what happens to the current version (will it stay)?
      Agree.

      I've been trying recently to make files that are unique for some reason. 8ths get old fast, and even though it's tons of fun for a while even jumpstreams get old...


      Comment

      • Justice Beloved
        FFR Player
        • Aug 2007
        • 58

        #18
        Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

        Well, I haven't played a whole lot of your files, but if I remember correctly, you did Let Me Be Your Pirate / Brightone, which I thought were pretty fun files. Good job on those.

        And thanks for agreeing, rare in this thread I guess, hahaha. Same to you, Midnight, although I know there are some challenging songs that you can still play on index.

        Originally posted by devonin
        Within 3rd style I can think of no reason why they would impose an arbitrary limit on the number of songs that will be in it.
        The only reason I can think of is, when you play a level, you can name over 10 other levels that play nearly exactly like it. I'm not saying "This game will have exactly 73 levels," I'm saying if it's not sort of unique, why include it.

        Comment

        • alley83
          FFR Player
          • Aug 2007
          • 203

          #19
          Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

          But I like it if there are a lot of different songs, because of the different music, so that I don't have to listen to the same music over and over again.

          Comment

          • windsurfer-sp
            FFR Veteran
            • Apr 2005
            • 1974

            #20
            Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

            I play some songs for the music, some for the stepfiles. More songs means theres more to play, more variety for practise, no matter how similar the steps are its still a different song to get better at hitting at arrows to.

            Atleast play all the stepfiles a couple of times in the game before you start assuming that everything is the same slightly varied stepfile to a different song.
            Orbb fan club.
            White text society.

            Comment

            • Justice Beloved
              FFR Player
              • Aug 2007
              • 58

              #21
              Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

              Originally posted by windsurfer-sp
              Atleast play all the stepfiles a couple of times in the game before you start assuming that everything is the same slightly varied stepfile to a different song.
              I know it looks like I haven't played hardly anything, and it's because I played so much without having an account.... I wouldn't say a lot of the files are very similar to each other if they weren't. I'm not just making all this up for argument's sake.

              Originally posted by alley83
              But I like it if there are a lot of different songs, because of the different music, so that I don't have to listen to the same music over and over again.
              Don't worry, they fixed that in the rock / skill token genres. Now you have to listen to the same song two / three times while playing a level you have essentially played two / three times somewhere else.

              Sorry, I'll try not to be so sarcastic. It's just my nature. It's still a fun game and it's awesome that it's free, I thought I'd just express the opinion of the game getting a little..... old. Because sometimes I feel like I am playing a level I already played, just to different music.

              Comment

              • g4z33b0
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 2618

                #22
                Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                300 songs is nothing, i rarely play SM and i have over 1,800 songs and i've played them all. play more.

                Comment

                • bluguerrilla
                  FFR Player
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 3966

                  #23
                  Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                  Personally, it's not that I think you sound like a jerk, it sounds like you're not paying enough attention to what makes a stepfile good.

                  The way I see it, there are a few of options.

                  1) The steps are completely governed by the music, meaning that the difficulty of the steps and their complexity is completely determined just by listening to the song.

                  2) The steps have little to do with the music but the patterns are fun. This is subjective but in most cases the steps at least follow the rhythms but the stream, etc. are is not pitch relevant or musically justified.

                  3) The steps have (almost) nothing to do with the music but you like the music and play the song anyways, or you don't like the song but the steps are hard so you play it anyways.


                  Because option one is easiest (although it's really hard to get perfect) and because it's easier to digest that type of file shows up frequently. Because people that play this game frequently like difficult files certain patterns in the music show up frequently. Hence, plenty stepfiles seem similar.

                  However, there's music like Attack of the Minute or lolharp5000 or Four Vents or TGWP or Lawn Wake... (there are plenty more and better examples, whatever) and a stepfile gets produced that isn't like many others. It's not even because of the stepper but because of the music.

                  Which stepfiles do you like the most? What do you like about them? What makes them unique or fresh?

                  Also, do you think that all of the music sounds the same? Should there be less techno because there's so much of it? I mean, a lot of the techno sounds similar.


                  Whatever, I'm not an authority on this, just thought a lot about it.


                  Also, at the fireside chat it was said that the 3rd Style will come out within the next 30 million years, or so. Although the release date of April 31st has been tossed around...

                  P.S. tl;dr

                  Comment

                  • lxDestinyxl
                    FFR Player
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 3247

                    #24
                    Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                    TGWP series are unique steps. Fun as well, although number 3 annoys me... (Yes yes, from the Tournament, whatever...)
                    Umm, Turkish March, almost 100% jumps...
                    But yeah, nothing majorly different for every song which comes out...

                    Guru's are always unique =P

                    Comment

                    • SSCUJO
                      FFR Player
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 332

                      #25
                      Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                      i tend to look at this whole situation a might differently

                      yes there are 400 songs but i don't see every user playing all 400 all the time. i assume the average user has 25-50 favorites that get played more than others. now for this reason 400 is nessecary. becasue FFR wants to reach everyone and even though 1 person might like a certain 50 songs, another might come along and hate everyone of those songs, but still have 50 of his or her own favorites. so even though the steps might be similar they will rarely play the other songs.

                      basically everyone likes something different, nobody likes it all.
                      Last edited by SSCUJO; 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM.

                      Comment

                      • rade0110
                        FFR Player
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 1253

                        #26
                        Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                        There isn't even close to 700 songs. Try less than 400.
                        Originally posted by Synthlight
                        Everyone uses quotes from Synthlight in their signature. So I'm making this one up to fit in.

                        Cheers,

                        Synthlight

                        Comment

                        • jpcduran
                          FFR Player
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 394

                          #27
                          Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                          JERK!






                          Just kidding. You need to find another way then.

                          Tier Points: 109 (109 + 0 for 81 AAAs)
                          Engler's School Of FFR: Drop Out

                          Comment

                          • devonin
                            Very Grave Indeed
                            Community Manager
                            Event Staff
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 10120

                            #28
                            Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                            298 + 91 skill + 25 token + 12 purchased + 70 subscriber = 496 songs

                            The only problem with lots of songs being similar is the emphasis that this game puts on being good at every song. Since Average Rank counts every song you have, not just the ones you've played, and Tier points apply to many songs, there is a strong disincentive to play only the 50 songs you really like, so I can understand how it could get frusterating.

                            But at the same time, if your notes are primarily keyed to the beats of songs, there are only so many ways you can do it that are in any way synchronized to the song, so ome degree of seeming repetition is inevitable.

                            About the only way I can think of to actively encourage unique stepfiles is to start actively searching out unique music.

                            Someone need only get permission from Squarepusher, and start collecting Open Domain Classical music, and we could be set on uniqueness for years to come.

                            Comment

                            • Tasselfoot
                              Retired BOSS
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 25185

                              #29
                              Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                              devonin: i have permission for a large variety of classical music. also, take out the 12 purchased... those are counted in the 298. but there are more than 70 subscriber only songs right now. it's probably around 488 or so... plus about 100 widget only songs.
                              RIP

                              Comment

                              • Justice Beloved
                                FFR Player
                                • Aug 2007
                                • 58

                                #30
                                Re: I don't mean to sound like a jerk....

                                Thanks for the replies! =D

                                g4z33b0:

                                Originally posted by g4z33b0
                                300 songs is nothing, i rarely play SM and i have over 1,800 songs and i've played them all. play more.
                                But SM doesn't have a form of its own. It's an empty program and any random person can add any bad stepfile to it. FFR it more of a "real" game in that is has actual developers and form. And that's a lot of songs. ^_^

                                bluguerrilla:

                                Originally posted by bluguerrilla
                                Personally, it's not that I think you sound like a jerk, it sounds like you're not paying enough attention to what makes a stepfile good.
                                How does it sound like I'm saying that? I never said the stepfiles are good or bad, I never commented on their quality. Whether they are good or bad, they seem repetetive.

                                Originally posted by bluguerrilla
                                However, there's music like Attack of the Minute or lolharp5000 or Four Vents or TGWP or Lawn Wake... (there are plenty more and better examples, whatever) and a stepfile gets produced that isn't like many others. It's not even because of the stepper but because of the music.
                                And I mentioned in my first post that there certainly are files that come around that are pretty unique. I got to try Lawn Wake IV once (I don't have enough credits but my friend let me try), and I wasn't good enough to do well back then, but it was certainly different from anything I'd played (or still played).

                                Originally posted by bluguerrilla
                                Which stepfiles do you like the most? What do you like about them? What makes them unique or fresh?

                                Also, do you think that all of the music sounds the same? Should there be less techno because there's so much of it? I mean, a lot of the techno sounds similar.


                                Whatever, I'm not an authority on this, just thought a lot about it.
                                I'm no authority either. ^_^ The music sounding the same to me is not really a big concern, and I don't think it all sounds the same. Techno is techno, but unless you go to the rock section (), the music generally differs from level to level.

                                Levels like Torinouta, Horizon, Lawn Wake IV, Amefuri Koneko, Playdoh.... I really like those levels because I don't feel like I'm seeing the same thing in those levels that I do in a whole lot of other levels (and I could be wrong, if you know a level that's similar to any of those, go for it ^_^).

                                SSCUJO:

                                Originally posted by SSCUJO
                                basically everyone likes something different, nobody likes it all.
                                That's not a very good defense for a video game.... We still "have" to play it all (assuming we want a good rank).

                                devonin:

                                Originally posted by devonin
                                The only problem with lots of songs being similar is the emphasis that this game puts on being good at every song. Since Average Rank counts every song you have, not just the ones you've played, and Tier points apply to many songs, there is a strong disincentive to play only the 50 songs you really like, so I can understand how it could get frusterating.
                                Hahaha, I've been figured out. I'd like my levelrank to be pretty good. Actually, very good. And I would HAPPILY skip Terror From Beyond because I ALWAYS GET A FREAKING GOOD. I'd happily skip Expedite because IT FOLLOWS THE TRADTIONAL PATTERN IN MY FIRST POST.

                                Comment

                                Working...