Nice job robertsona. PR is rather subjective, but you've made a good general outline. I mean, four arrows to illustrate the melody of a song can only go so far, and the ways to get around this shortcoming is where there can be a lot of subjectivity.
PR technique itself is quite objective factor when you judge a file followed by sync, rhythms, etc actually. You may feel it's rather subjective because the methods for PR have so many variations and it's kind of difficult to understand/notice PR theory by other people's intention.
but yea determining whether the part should be done with (more) PR or not is subjective, since a sense of fun is required to determine.
PR technique itself is quite objective factor when you judge a file followed by sync, rhythms, etc actually. You may feel it's rather subjective because the methods for PR have so many variations and it's kind of difficult to understand/notice PR theory by other people's intention.
but yea determining whether the part should be done with (more) PR or not is subjective, since a sense of fun is required to determine.
Basically I'm referring to parts where the melody of a song would extend past the range of what four arrows would be able to illustrate. For example, if I played the notes C-D-E-F-G in succession on a piano, I'd be able to put left-down-up-right on stepmania from the notes C to F - this is obviously objective. But in the physical sense of DDR's arrow placement, the four arrows would not allow me to add the note G since there's no fifth arrow. So where you put that last arrow following note G to -best- illustrate PR is very subjective. This is just an example.
pr: put arrows where they make sense and a gud simfile will result
Bad advice... Example - See my files. and also, my V2 Drop file which gone through its 6th rejection. I wish it was that ez man. Apparently, if it was that ez, my V2 drop file would be in game. The theory you explained is how I made Drop V2. I used basic SMO theory and placement to make the file and tried to PR it as good as possible with the 4th submit and its still being rejected to no end. Take it from me man. This time and this is the only time, I know what Im talking about.
The way I PR is basically what everyone says. Low notes = left, high notes = right and the middle is the notes in between. Thats just standard PR. Jump PR is probably more versatile. From low to high: left down, left up, left right, up down, right up and right up. This becomes more messed up depending how many rythms/melodies and sounds you are trying to step at the same time. This is where my next point comes in: prefrence and point of view.
I think the problem of PR comes into play when you are stepping multiple rythems and melodies. Because of this, you cant have the same note for the same sound because another sound is taking its place. This is where PR can be extremely screwed up in my opinion. This is what makes PR kind of an opinion depending on the person. Now an interesting factor to this is if PR is taken so seriously, why are there files in packs and in FFR where high octave notes are symbalized with a right arrow when it should be a right arrow. I see this in a lot of files. Like I said, Prefrence and point of view. Isn't that what stepping music is all about?
This guide is way to basic. It just assumes that you are following one rythm/pattern or melody. Most of us knows this already unless this is a noob guide to PR. I think what needs to made is a guide that talks about how to PR multiple rythms. Thats what alot of people are having trouble with.
Step one: Sign up for stepmania university and await rejection letter.
Step two: Sign up for patashU niversity and await rejection letter
Step three: Ask a stepmania university graduate to explain why your file needs work
Step four: ?
Step five: Attach file to tasslemail and hit send.
also a big problem with pr is that when typically applied it produces patterns that aren't equally distributed over the set of all possible patterns
if you took a random stream (like vertex beta for instance) and tried to think of a piano solo that would produce those kinds of steps you'd get something crazy
Comment